Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Calderon

Votes: 64 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I have to be honest, I'm still not 100% sure on what NSC's definition of flair is. So if someone could explain clearly and simply for a dunderhead like myself that would be greatly appreciated.

for me, a flair player is one who is extremely skilled but for one reason or another flatters to deceive and fails to deliver consistently although has moments of pure magic up his sleeve. If he has an unorthodox appearance or lifestyle then that's a bonus. On those criteria McCourt is surely the winner. The only others that can be in consideration are Lua Lua and possibly Kazim Richards. The others are either shit or lacking the real flair skill magic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have to be honest, I'm still not 100% sure on what NSC's definition of flair is. So if someone could explain clearly and simply for a dunderhead like myself that would be greatly appreciated.

for me, a flair player is one who is extremely skilled but for one reason or another flatters to deceive and fails to deliver consistently although has moments of pure magic up his sleeve. If he has an unorthodox appearance or lifestyle then that's a bonus. On those criteria McCourt is surely the winner. The only others that can be in consideration are Lua Lua and possibly Kazim Richards. The others are either shit or lacking the real flair skill magic.

Think you’ve pretty much got it. @turienzo’s lovechild is the best person to define it.

It’s certainly NOT about being consistently good at football, or reliable in any way whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2003

Yeh you've got it really. Things to look out for are:
-skilful but flatters to deceive
-unfulfilled potential
-appearance (long hair etc)
-bad boy lifestyle
-off field shenanigans

Obviously you don't expect someone to tick all the boxes but he really needs to excel in at least one of the above areas to be in contention. On a global scale think of former Deportivo playmaker Djalminha or Jose Luis Chilavert and you can't go wrong

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
-unfulfilled potential
-bad boy lifestyle
-off field shenanigans

Obviously you don't expect someone to tick all the boxes but he really needs to excel in at least one of the above areas to be in contention. On a global scale think of former Deportivo playmaker Djalminha or Jose Luis Chilavert and you can't go wrong

Micky Thomas ticks all of these boxes.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
McCourt seems to be playing in native Northern Ireland at the moment. Saw a report recently about some amazing goal he’d scored and was referred to as the Northern Irish Messi.

Scoring amazing goals in rubbish leagues and getting silly comparisons with top players has to be part of the criteria.

So Team McCourt for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
flair
flɛː/Submit
noun
noun: flair
a special or instinctive aptitude or ability for doing something well.
"she had a flair for languages"
synonyms: aptitude, talent, gift, knack, instinct, natural ability, ability, capability, capacity, faculty, facility, skill, bent, feel, genius
"an activist with a flair for publicity"
antonyms: inability
stylishness and originality.
"she dressed with flair"
synonyms: style, stylishness, panache, verve, dash, elan, finesse, poise, elegance, sparkle, brio; More
inventiveness, creativity;
taste, good taste, discernment, discrimination;
informalclass, pizzazz
"she dressed with flair"

Actual definition is someone with skill or style or both

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've been an acolyte of McCourt's flair credentials from day dot, yet this year I find myself strangely drawn to Kemy.

I'm swayed by his absurd social media presence (those long insta stories featuring him filming himself in his car nodding along to a tune, as if it was his own song are something to behold). I'm convinced that in his own head he is an utterly perfect specimen of humanity.

But on the other hand there's THIS:

[yt]H2iLPMD3QNM[/yt]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
-unfulfilled potential
-bad boy lifestyle
-off field shenanigans

Not so sure about the bad boy lifestyle, but take all those out and Team Skalak should be doing well here. His hair isn't long, but it's clearly ridiculous.

148734-1454359504.jpg

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Think you’ve pretty much got it. @turienzo’s lovechild is the best person to define it.

It’s certainly NOT about being consistently good at football, or reliable in any way whatsoever.

-unfulfilled potential
-bad boy lifestyle
-off field shenanigans

Thanks guys.

It's good to know I'm on the right track. I didn't want to be one of those dimmies who completely misses the point and votes for someone entirely unsuitable for the contest.

My number one choice in this group is McCourt but he seems to be coasting through so I shall send some love to Kaz. A man who could rip a full back a new one and score a wonder rocket strike of a goal but for everyone of those there were twenty shots sliced wide, ballooned over or just clubbed straight at a defender. A man who could come on one week for the last twenty minutes absolutely terrorise the opposing defence and then the following week be unable to control the ball when he started the game. a man who would inevitably spend a month finding his form have two or three great games and then spend the next two months on the treatment table. A player who either through magic or frustration got you off your seat time and time again. A man who is utterly incomprehensible away form the pitch.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks guys.

It's good to know I'm on the right track. I didn't want to be one of those dimmies who completely misses the point and votes for someone entirely unsuitable for the contest.

My number one choice in this group is McCourt but he seems to be coasting through so I shall send some love to Kaz. A man who could rip a full back a new one and score a wonder rocket strike of a goal but for everyone of those there were twenty shots sliced wide, ballooned over or just clubbed straight at a defender. A man who could come on one week for the last twenty minutes absolutely terrorise the opposing defence and then the following week be unable to control the ball when he started the game. a man who would inevitably spend a month finding his form have two or three great games and then spend the next two months on the treatment table. A player who either through magic or frustration got you off your seat time and time again. A man who is utterly incomprehensible away form the pitch.

Kaz gets extra flair point for me for having the most unique playing style I've ever seen. That ridiculously exaggerated stepove that you could see coming a mile off. Those circus freak sized thighs. Wonderful.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kaz gets extra flair point for me for having the most unique playing style I've ever seen. That ridiculously exaggerated stepove that you could see coming a mile off. Those circus freak sized thighs. Wonderful.

Me and my bro always thought his movements on flat land were akin to how most people move on a bouncy castle.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I remember Paddy coming on once and doing sod all except beating 3 players and shooting. It was one of those that if it had gone in we'd still be talking about it today. But it didn't, it went well wide. He did nothing for the rest of that game either (or indeed for the rest of his time here).

So I'm IN.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Jiri Skalak has done two things of note in a Brighton shirt.

1. Achieved the highest ever ratio of quality of player vs quality of best goal (terrible / amazing).
2. Posed in in his garden while stood on a bucket to celebrate promotion.

Utterly mental.

Adding to point two, clearly looking like he had been at an 'afters' party no doubt smashing some fat lines. He looks utterly wired.

Jiri.jpg

Last edited:

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Let’s face it, until another Brighton player has had a detailed pic by pic analysis of their “signature move” in the Argus, you’d might as well just rename this the Denny Mundee Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here