Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend in Berlin

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
According to freinds of mine who visited last month White Trash has now closed (money issues), which is a shame because the food, bands and comedy we experienced during one night there was amazing!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to freinds of mine who visited last month White Trash has now closed (money issues), which is a shame because the food, bands and comedy we experienced during one night there was amazing!

It has moved to a new location which is slightly bigger and crucially has a rather cool beer garden-think late night area Glastnbury. It's next to Club Der Visionare now, near the river in Kruez.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Having read this, you know what - I might look at a week in Berlin myself this summer and practise my rusty German - and be answered in much better English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, went in February for the weekend. spent more time in there than at our apartment, also managed to go to tresor and abount blank too.

It's pretty mental isnt it? About Blank is good fun but not really a fan of Tresor.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Apologies for bouncing an old thread but it was really useful for my last visit to Berlin with the Missus (thanks for the tip on the Trabi safari, we had a right laugh). Anyway a bunch of us are heading out there this weekend - Tennis Borussia Berlin vs Altglienicke (Fri), Hertha BSC vs Schalke 04 (Sat) and Wolfsburg vs SC Frieburg (Sun). A veritable feast of football and beer!

Looking for any tips on decent bars, nightspots? Would prefer decent local bars rather than tourist traps. I'd say we were a pretty respectful bunch, others might say otherwise, but this is our 5th year of visiting Germany for football and we haven't had any trouble yet (famous last words)!. We are staying around Alexanderplatz.
[MENTION=12007]Alan Cundle[/MENTION]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Apologies for bouncing an old thread but it was really useful for my last visit to Berlin with the Missus (thanks for the tip on the Trabi safari, we had a right laugh). Anyway a bunch of us are heading out there this weekend - Tennis Borussia Berlin vs Altglienicke (Fri), Hertha BSC vs Schalke 04 (Sat) and Wolfsburg vs SC Frieburg (Sun). A veritable feast of football and beer!

Looking for any tips on decent bars, nightspots? Would prefer decent local bars rather than tourist traps. I'd say we were a pretty respectful bunch, others might say otherwise, but this is our 5th year of visiting Germany for football and we haven't had any trouble yet (famous last words)!. We are staying around Alexanderplatz.

@Alan Cundle

That's a coincidence, I'm heading out there with some mates this weekend and we're also going to the Hertha BSC vs Schalke 04 match.

This thread may come in handy :thumbsup:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

[MENTION=12007]Alan Cundle[/MENTION]

A favourite Pub of mine when in Berlin is The Oberbaumeck which is opposite Schlesisches Tor U Bahn at the eastern end of the U1 line. Although in the heart of Kreuzberg, the owner is a huge St Pauli fan. Lots of St Pauli paraphernalia all over the bars. Don't be scared off by the seedy exterior and interior. Friendly staff, friendly customers, live football and punk rock blasting out. A half litre of Berliner sells for 2.50 euro. If thats what sails your boat, The Oberbaumeck is the place. Its also close to the new premises of White Trash which are probably less than a mile down the strasse going south. There are plenty of bars in the Kreuzberg area if The Oberbaumeck isn't to your taste.

I see you are at Wolfsburg on Sunday. If you were in Berlin that day I would recommend Union Berlin II v BSC Dynamo. It may only be Unions second team, but unlike reserve games here where you get about 10 people, they are expecting around 10,000 for this one. There's some serious history between those two dating back to DDR days. Dynamo were the favoured team of The Stasi and Union fans were very much dissenters against the system. It wasn't uncommon for Dynamo to get penalties three yards outside the box and other similar dodgy decisions. Union Fans have long memories. It will be feisty!

Alan Cundle

May 22, 2008
Brighton
A favourite Pub of mine when in Berlin is The Oberbaumeck which is opposite Schlesisches Tor U Bahn at the eastern end of the U1 line. Although in the heart of Kreuzberg, the owner is a huge St Pauli fan. Lots of St Pauli paraphernalia all over the bars. Don't be scared off by the seedy exterior and interior. Friendly staff, friendly customers, live football and punk rock blasting out. A half litre of Berliner sells for 2.50 euro. If thats what sails your boat, The Oberbaumeck is the place. Its also close to the new premises of White Trash which are probably less than a mile down the strasse going south. There are plenty of bars in the Kreuzberg area if The Oberbaumeck isn't to your taste.

I see you are at Wolfsburg on Sunday. If you were in Berlin that day I would recommend Union Berlin II v BSC Dynamo. It may only be Unions second team, but unlike reserve games here where you get about 10 people, they are expecting around 10,000 for this one. There's some serious history between those two dating back to DDR days. Dynamo were the favoured team of The Stasi and Union fans were very much dissenters against the system. It wasn't uncommon for Dynamo to get penalties three yards outside the box and other similar dodgy decisions. Union Fans have long memories. It will be feisty!

Thanks for that. We will definitely head down to Oberbaumeck given that White Trash is there as well. Looking at other clubs closer to our Hotel for the early hours, are http://www.houseofweekend.berlin/ or http://www.skyclubberlin.de/ worth looking at?

Shame we can't squeeze the Union game in as well on that Sunday...we have a few dissenters for the Tennis Borussia game on the Friday night - do you think it would be worth going, or a non-event in front of a few hundred fans?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for that. We will definitely head down to Oberbaumeck given that White Trash is there as well. Looking at other clubs closer to our Hotel for the early hours, are http://www.houseofweekend.berlin/ or http://www.skyclubberlin.de/ worth looking at?

Shame we can't squeeze the Union game in as well on that Sunday...we have a few dissenters for the Tennis Borussia game on the Friday night - do you think it would be worth going, or a non-event in front of a few hundred fans?

You'll be best to book White Trash as it's very popular on weekends. You can do this via their website. It's a fun place and more than just a meal. As for clubs I tend to go to the more ramshackle places like Club der Visionaere (which is next to WTFF) and Chalet. These are typical Berlin places. Chalet is particularly cool as it's set in an old stately home with numerous bars and dance floors inside plus a huge walled garden outside with a bar and pond and sometimes DJs.

The two you mention are more "international". I've been to House of Weekend but in its previous guise as Weekend a number of times. It's an amazing venue, on the 15th floor of a tower block with a huge roof terrace overlooking Berlin. It was at the glitzier end of the spectrum before it's rebrand and it's now even glitzier apparently. Watergate is another "international" option.

A word of warning, you'll need to be smart with queuing if you're a big group of guys.

There's a lovely bar called Kirk in Schliesisches Tor plus Hopfenreich which is a craft beer bar.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove

Thanks very much for the tips Herr Brown. Sounds like our kind of place. Did Hamburg a few years back and met some St Pauli lads, they were proper mental!

Alan Cundle

May 22, 2008
Brighton
You'll be best to book White Trash as it's very popular on weekends. You can do this via their website. It's a fun place and more than just a meal. As for clubs I tend to go to the more ramshackle places like Club der Visionaere (which is next to WTFF) and Chalet. These are typical Berlin places. Chalet is particularly cool as it's set in an old stately home with numerous bars and dance floors inside plus a huge walled garden outside with a bar and pond and sometimes DJs.

The two you mention are more "international". I've been to House of Weekend but in its previous guise as Weekend a number of times. It's an amazing venue, on the 15th floor of a tower block with a huge roof terrace overlooking Berlin. It was at the glitzier end of the spectrum before it's rebrand and it's now even glitzier apparently. Watergate is another "international" option.

A word of warning, you'll need to be smart with queuing if you're a big group of guys.

There's a lovely bar called Kirk in Schliesisches Tor plus Hopfenreich which is a craft beer bar.

Thanks again, looks like the perfect area - there are 19 of us, so getting in anywhere could be interesting, that's if we manage to keep together . Does that make it impossible to get in anywhere?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here