Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Horrible Performance Coupled With Heroic Defending...

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We’re struggling for attacking fluency without the Gross-Propper-Stephens midfield, and our signings aren’t hitting the ground running, but that said our resilience and belief is incredible, we are simply cannot be broken down even when playing badly. I’m really impressed with us in that regard, delighted with the results.

Please god let’s don’t return to propper and stevens midfield no goals sideways passing . Since Kayal has come in 3 wins, assists and a goal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We were terrible today and have played much much better and lost. That’s two games running we’ve been the worst team and taken 3 points. Can’t complain and the table is a joy to look at but you have to worry that the tide could turn if performances do t get better.

'Terrible' as in not creating a lot going forward? But fantastic at what we did do - defend. I wouldn't say we were worse than either Newcastle or Wolves, just different; and as we all know, there's more than one way to win a football match. Wolves may go away thinking they were the better team - but if you're going to leave the opposition's top scorer unmarked on the edge of the 6-yard box, then how can they say they were 'better' than us? And for the second game running, we should have wrapped it up with a second goal in the last few minutes.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think losing Propper and Gross has been a slight issue for us, Kayal wasn't involved last season, others are having to try to fill the no.10 role, Jahanbakhsh is having to adjust to the intensity of this league. Ideally we would be continuing to develop our understanding carrying on from last season, but circumstances have conspired against us to mean that that is not currently possible. Taking that into account and considering that we have won 3 on the bounce with 3 clean sheets I think we can be pretty pleased with what we are achieving against the odds.

With our defense the way it is we only have to get some confidence and understanding going between the midfield and the forward line and we are sorted. It's not fun to watch with only the defense working 100% perfectly, but having that part down is nothing to sniff at. The rest will come and when it does we look in great shape to become a very solid PL side ready to push on and establish ourselves as a top half side. We just have to be patient, half the job is done, and I would say probably the most important half when it comes to maintaining our place in this league.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Please god let’s don’t return to propper and stevens midfield no goals sideways passing . Since Kayal has come in 3 wins, assists and a goal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree at this moment in time - but as soon as Gross back the better!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We won ugly .... accept it we are still a project in development. last year we would have lost or drawn that match so this is progress. We will only play excellent expansive football when a) we have been in the league long enough to attrack the very top players and b) when CH gets a knock on the head and he changes his style.

3 premier league wins on the trot......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't agree with the OP. Ryan solid, Duffy and Dunk immense, Glenn Murray another masterclass, Kayal busy. Wolves ran out of ideas,we should have scored one or two more on the break, loved the game, buzzing at our third win in a row.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We got lucky today, the performance was terrible. I am mystified why we set up as the away team and gave them so much space. Dreadful to watch and a little worrying imo. If they had players who could finish, we’d have been thumped.

But hey ho three wins on the bounce but please don’t let this be our surival plan this season. I should feel thrilled about the result but I feel we have ridden out luck for three games now. Where is the attacking intent and hard pressing we were supposed to be adopting this season?

Sorry to be a miserable killjoy but that was not entertaining in the least imo and I just cannot understand why we were so fearful of them.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I have to say they looked half decent - but certainly not worth losing bladder control over...

I think Jesus Espirito de Santo Madonna Pope John Paul III Nuno Managerio still has millions more to spend before they're even close to being a Billy big-balls side.

nuno.png

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It was a gritty defensive point. When your not playing well or at the top of your game you start from the back and keep it tight. 3 1-0 wins without playing anywhere near out attacking potential shows we are actually coming along well. You have to be able to grind out results in the PL if you want to survive. I’m sure any of the bottom 8 currently would love to grind out a 1-0 win and I’m sure Wolves would have taken playing worse today but taking 3 points.
As for Wolves they were a very good side on the ball. There won’t be many better CM pairings that come to the AMEX this year and we missed Propper and Gross in there. But you have to take your chances at this level. We did they didn’t.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
'Terrible' as in not creating a lot going forward? But fantastic at what we did do - defend. I wouldn't say we were worse than either Newcastle or Wolves, just different; and as we all know, there's more than one way to win a football match. Wolves may go away thinking they were the better team - but if you're going to leave the opposition's top scorer unmarked on the edge of the 6-yard box, then how can they say they were 'better' than us? And for the second game running, we should have wrapped it up with a second goal in the last few minutes.

Terrible as in for large swathes of the game we were incapable of passing to a team mate or many of the team even incapable of controlling a football.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A wolves fan...from their forum.

But they got the 3 points. With their finances and resources, winning 3 in a row in the Prem is a huge achievement. We are clearly on a different path to them with more resources available but shouldn't forget that not everybody has the rich owners and contacts that we do. There is more than one way to win a football game!

Hmmmm.

No one is anywhere near the path we are on

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed that game, right to the end - in a masochistic kind of way!

Same here...cracking finish :D

I think we also need to give Wolves credit rather than dwell on our own performance which was perhaps partly down to how they played.....theyve drawn at Old Trafford where they perhaps deserved a win...drew with City at home....only conceded nine....ther problem is at the other end which perhaps we saw...only scoring 9

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
That’s 3 ugly wins in a row ! The West Ham game was much the same as today where they dominated the ball but struggled to break us down. Don’t get me wrong, i’m chuffed to bits with the 9 points but we can’t sustain this level of good fortune of relying on the collective heroics of Ryan, Dunk, Duffy & Muzza. Our basic problem in these 3 games is the simple inability to keep possession which has invited so much pressure on ourselves but we’ve defended surperbly.

Post match quote from CH today : "We are not playing at our best, nowhere near. We have players who are not at their level, we are not good on the ball but we are defending really well.“

Sums it up perfectly Chris, but you have the power to do something about it so maybe a change or 2 is needed next week ! Could Andone play in the no.10 role instead of March ? Having said that, I’ve been critical of Bong this season but must give credit where it’s due, I thought he had a decent game today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Same here...cracking finish :D

I think we also need to give Wolves credit rather than dwell on our own performance which was perhaps partly down to how they played.....theyve drawn at Old Trafford where they perhaps deserved a win...beat City at home....only conceded nine....ther problem is at the other end which perhaps we saw...only scoring 9

I must have missed the game they beat City, it wasn’t this season was it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here