Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "One of the brightest young managers in the Premier League"

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've not seen enough of Howe on the box to judge his personality, or really made note of anything he's said via papers etc, but I've always thought he was a good manager.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Just to add another point to this ridiculous thread

In the last set of Bournemouths accounts the club had the smallest turnover and the lowest wage bill in the Premier League. Bournemouth spent the lowest bar Stoke in the last transfer window.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I understand that Brighton fans have an issue with Eddie so not expecting a love in just think some of the comments are very harsh considering his record.

1. League two survival and promotion was achieved before any investment, so was done on a shoe string. The only season we overspend was the championship season to get promoted of which many clubs who are still in the championship have been punished for. I missed the bit where spending big money in the championship guranteed you promotion e.g. Derby etc

2. To achieve anything as a manager you have to be tough and relentess with wanting to win. This point is ridicoulous to even mention every manager that has had any success at the top level will have tried to win games by any means.even your beloved Chris Hughton.

3. Raided us by taking which players exactly? Danny Ings and Marvin Bartley were the only players to join him up at Burnley and we got good money for both. Back then we needed to sell. He has nothing to be forgiven for. Nice try though, but your making up complete rubbish!!

1. I don't recall suggesting that cheating guarantees success. It doesn't. It just taints it. Taking steroids doesn't guarantee a sprinter an Olympic gold, but he's still a cheat regardless of where he finishes. Just because other Championship clubs cheated and failed to go up, doesn't mitigate your CHEATING one tiny bit.

2. There are plenty of cynical managers, but none who so shamelessly hide behind a fake smile and Ken-doll image. He's a snide prick. I don't care for him much.

3. Eddie held a press conference declaring he'd turned down Burnley. Then left 3 days later (presumably when they'd upped their offer). Then he came back in the very next transfer window and signed your best striker. Spin it how you like, them's the FACTS.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2. There are plenty of cynical managers, but none who so shamelessly hide behind a fake smile and Ken-doll image. He's a snide prick. I don't care for him much.

I wish you'd said before now. I've been trying to figure out your position on this one.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I share mine with Hitler and thus will always lose shared birthday bingo.

Oh I don't know. I share mine with Tom Cruise.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I understand that Brighton fans have an issue with Eddie so not expecting a love in just think some of the comments are very harsh considering his record.

1. League two survival and promotion was achieved before any investment, so was done on a shoe string. The only season we overspend was the championship season to get promoted of which many clubs who are still in the championship have been punished for. I missed the bit where spending big money in the championship guranteed you promotion e.g. Derby etc!

Ooooohhh. You do realise we finished 91st in the football league whilst ground-sharing at Gillingham, then got promoted twice to the championship whilst at Withdean without two pennies to rub together, and finally managed to get promoted to the premier league whilst NOT breaking FFP on the way. Cry me a f*ucking river.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
And, shock horror!

Looks like smug Eddie dyes his hair blonde, too. The old roots are really showing through in his interview with Sky Sports this morning.

Talk about vain!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I wish you'd said before now. I've been trying to figure out your position on this one.

I've just checked back through my old reports [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] , and it turns out the evidence was there.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?309-Bournemouth-v-Albion-01-11-2014

I'll forewarn that this will probably not be the most objective of reports. You see I don't like Eddie Howe. More accurately, I really, really can't abide the perma-grinning, unspeakably smug little Ken doll. Which all serves to make defeat to his side, particularly irritating.

In a break with recent tradition though, Brighton conspired to bring this one wholly onto themselves - no repeat of the shameful penalty decisions of the Withdean and Amex encounters, to blame this one on - and that, despite the incredible fact, that with Bournemouth fan Simon Hooper ('Hoops' to his Boscombe pals) obviously unavailable, the FA saw fit to appoint in his stead Mr Keith Stroud, of, um, Bournemouth.

I caught Ken doll's interview after the game. He smugly opined that we'd put up a fight, but that 20 minutes of possession at 2-2 had shown that his side "had another gear to go into if they'd needed it". He's kidding no-one. This was a very even game, and Bournemouth needed plenty of good fortune to win it. What they did have, contrary to the media's enduring myth of Bournemouth as a plucky little underdog, is a host of expensive attacking options on their bench.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
1. I don't recall suggesting that cheating guarantees success. It doesn't. It just taints it. Taking steroids doesn't guarantee a sprinter an Olympic gold, but he's still a cheat regardless of where he finishes. Just because other Championship clubs cheated and failed to go up, doesn't mitigate your CHEATING one tiny bit.

3. Eddie held a press conference declaring he'd turned down Burnley. Then left 3 days later (presumably when they'd upped their offer). Then he came back in the very next transfer window and signed your best striker. Spin it how you like, them's the FACTS.

1. Are you aware of how unfair Football is then. All the top clubs find ways and means to bypass financial fairplay. In England Chelsea and Man City have been doing it for years are all their titles that they have won tainted then or is it ok for them because they have big stadia? Have you even thought that maybe its the Football league who have it all so wrong considering they know the benefits from acheiving premier league promotion but yet still let clubs get away with over spending. I did hear that if you had failed promotion last season your financial fair play could have been very interesting reading.

2. Just because you have some personal dislike for the way the bloke looks and goes about his job doesn't mean you can't accept he is a good manager. I'm sure he told all the journallists to link him with Arsenal and England and say how we our some magical rags to riches story which we all know isn't true.

3. Our best striker who was just a young lad starting his career. We didn't have any money at the time so had to sell him. Burnley offered us 1 million for him how could we turn that money down for an unproven league one striker who had never played at a higher level. Howe didn't exactly asset strip the clubs squad at the time.

You are just coming accross as a bitter Brighton fan who seems to have some real hatred towards Eddie Howe. What has the guy ever done to you he just happens to manage a rival club to you. Get a grip!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
1. Are you aware of how unfair Football is then. All the top clubs find ways and means to bypass financial fairplay. In England Chelsea and Man City have been doing it for years are all their titles that they have won tainted then or is it ok for them because they have big stadia? Have you even thought that maybe its the Football league who have it all so wrong considering they know the benefits from acheiving premier league promotion but yet still let clubs get away with over spending. I did hear that if you had failed promotion last season your financial fair play could have been very interesting reading.

Chelsea first won the Premier League in 04/05, six years or so before FFP even came into effect in 2011. They won two more between 2005 and 2011 as well.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

2. Just because you have some personal dislike for the way the bloke looks and goes about his job doesn't mean you can't accept he is a good manager. I'm sure he told all the journallists to link him with Arsenal and England and say how we our some magical rags to riches story which we all know isn't true.

3. Our best striker who was just a young lad starting his career. We didn't have any money at the time so had to sell him. Burnley offered us 1 million for him how could we turn that money down for an unproven league one striker who had never played at a higher level. Howe didn't exactly asset strip the clubs squad at the time.

You are just coming accross as a bitter Brighton fan who seems to have some real hatred towards Eddie Howe. What has the guy ever done to you he just happens to manage a rival club to you. Get a grip!

1. Our accounts are not subject to any different scrutiny because we came up. Remember YOU failed, after going up? We broke no rules - we'd have had to tighten our belts in the next season or two, for sure, but that's all inconsequential.

2. I haven't said he's not a successful manger - I've said he's a snide prick, who gets an easy press.

3. He promised to stay, and then left. And then took your best striker. Lovable loyal little Eddie. He shat on you and you lapped it up.

:thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think we are being a little harsh on Eddie, how many other Premier League managers have scored a winning goal for us?

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Chelsea first won the Premier League in 04/05, six years or so before FFP even came into effect in 2011. They won two more between 2005 and 2011 as well.

Thats great. Did you not look into how those titles were won.......

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

If you studied your history you will no doubt be aware that Howe was the rival manager in probably two of the most contentious decisions ever made at the Amex.

Firstly - Pawson's double sending off v Burnley when they got off scot free and still only just scraped a win. This was following the haranguing of the 4th official by the Burnley bench.

Secondly - the Hoops penalty decision against Calderon. In all my time watching football I can never recall a worse decision by an official.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
1. Our accounts are not subject to any different scrutiny because we came up. Remember YOU failed, after going up? We broke no rules - we'd have had to tighten our belts in the next season or two, for sure, but that's all inconsequential.

2. I haven't said he's not a successful manger - I've said he's a snide prick, who gets an easy press.

3. He promised to stay, and then left. And then took your best striker. Lovable loyal little Eddie. He shat on you and you lapped it up.

:thumbsup:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38251262
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14959884.Albion_facing_a_fight_to_avoid_breaking_financial_rules/ - could have been close if you hadn't gone up

2. Thats obviously his fault he gets an easy press? Snide because he hasn't losed to your lot since managing us?

3. I'm not sure how really. We sold a player for more than he was worth after we failed to get promoted under Lee Bradbury. 1 Million pounds for a young league one striker with potential used to be good business for a club like ours. You missed the bit where he came back and led us to the championship and then the premier league. Shat for you must mean something very different.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jesus wept, what is there to dislike so much about Bournemouth? I hope they finish below us and stay up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thats great. Did you not look into how those titles were won.......

With the help of a fabulously wealthy owner buying very good players.

Difference is he has deep pockets to dive into ie Abramovich spent within his means.

Teams that wilfully break FFP are most likely doing the exact opposite, spending well outside of their means in the hope of some of the PL riches.

Personally, I don't give a shit how you guys got to the Premier League. But don't try and make some f**king "all's well in the end" fairy-tale Hollywood story out of it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38251262
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14959884.Albion_facing_a_fight_to_avoid_breaking_financial_rules/ - could have been close if you hadn't gone up

2. Thats obviously his fault he gets an easy press? Snide because he hasn't losed to your lot since managing us?

3. I'm not sure how really. We sold a player for more than he was worth after we failed to get promoted under Lee Bradbury. 1 Million pounds for a young league one striker with potential used to be good business for a club like ours. You missed the bit where he came back and led us to the championship and then the premier league. Shat for you must mean something very different.

You seem to be missing the point! You are ONLY in the PL now because you cheated to get there.

Had we decided to totally ignore FFP and cheat our way to the PL we could probably have done so a few years ago.

But then we have a classy Chairman / Owner who is a lifelong fan of our club who has got us to the PL the right way. You don't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here