Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Sparkies – alternatives to chasing in new wiring

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or anyone for that matter. This is mainly an aesthetic subjective query really, but given in an existing property chasing in new wiring is a generally very messy, time consuming process, does anyone have experience with using steel conduit as an 'attractive' feature? Rather than than chasing in the wires, can you make a job of using the conduit as a feature in it's own right? Or does it invariably look a bit naff? I realise on internal face brickwork or concrete you don't want to chase in, so it adds to that effect, but plastered walls are a different matter as post chasing you can repair them easy enough. Would be interested in thoughts generally.

0014f7aeadf729bfe3cf2b63d5ef0ad3.jpg

5fb784abca80341c930be548f083d5c5.jpg

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's a look I thought had had its day some years ago.
Sadly still going along with badly made creations from OSB, pallets and scaffold boards.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I like it, but it needs a certain kind of home to be able to pull it off.

All of this reminds me, I need to phone the plastering man to tidy up the mess that [MENTION=12852]pauli cee[/MENTION] left behind (when he moved light switches and plug sockets etc for us).

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I 've carried out a couple of jobs like this,
but as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, it has to suit a certain property.
Both the ones I did were in massive open plan flats in London with high ceilings, and it looked pretty good tbh, they were both ultra modern arty places tho, don't think it would really work in your average 3 up, 2 down!

But as also stated, it does save people like me coming round and trashing your lovely home, leaving dust that doesn't settle for days, then having to pay out for a plasterer and decorator, (Sorry Bozza!!),:blush::blush::blush::blush:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If you wanna go surface with conduit you could spray it to a particular colour or finish.
Have you got a listed house or something?
That changes the ballgame

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like that first picture. depends on the setting, wouldnt work in a normal semi.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here