Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon Echo / Alexa music

matey

Mar 16, 2014
I went on an Amazon Alexa Developers Workshop last week .. the trainer put up a slide with just "250,000" and asked the audience what does this number represent .. all the usual answers like the number of echos sold so far, in a month, in a day etc ... No .. it was the number of marriage proposals to Alexa .. men are loving Alexa .

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Bought one for my kids, and i hate it already.

They keep barking new orders at it, esp halfway though a song or joke..it's like having another kid in the house.. Alexa, Alexa, ALEXA.. ! :rant:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I have mine linked to Spotify too, and it plays through a stereo. When it's playing, I can switch the music to the PC (so no longer using the Echo) or back. I can also use the Spotify app on my phone to get it to play.

Only if they're set up on different accounts I imagine.

I'd like to be able to play different music in different rooms (at the same time), so presumably I need each Alexa on a different amazon account linked to a different Spotify account? That's going to be annoying. I imagine that would mean that your phone app will only work on one Alexa.

Ta - I went with Pure Jongo A2 but they're a complete road crash. All the decent multi room services seem to come with their own (crappy) speakers, one wouldn't think it was so difficult just to have a wifi enabled device with RCA plugs? I may try Chromecast Audio

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only worth getting if you pay for spotify or want a smart home

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you have Prime, then you get Amazon's equivalent of a reduced Spotify for free in the form of Amazon Music which is a library of 2m tracks. If you buy an Echo or Dot and are a Prime member, for £3.99 pcm you get Amazon Music Unlimited which is the full library of 40m tracks. You can subcribe to this as a prime member anyway for £7.99pcm or £79 per annum i.e. the same service will play through Sonos for example.

If you're buying into this whole Amazon thing, then you'd be better off with Amazon Music than Spotify.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you have Prime, then you get Amazon's equivalent of a reduced Spotify for free in the form of Amazon Music which is a library of 2m tracks. If you buy an Echo or Dot and are a Prime member, for £3.99 pcm you get Amazon Music Unlimited which is the full library of 40m tracks. You can subcribe to this as a prime member anyway for £7.99pcm or £79 per annum i.e. the same service will play through Sonos for example.

If you're buying into this whole Amazon thing, then you'd be better off with Amazon Music than Spotify.
I've had Alexa with Prime and amazon unlimited, and I've also had it with Spotify. I prefer it with Spotify. More of the music we want to listen to is on Spotify, and Spotify has a good app, and it's better for playlists and playing them from others etc.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I went on an Amazon Alexa Developers Workshop last week .. the trainer put up a slide with just "250,000" and asked the audience what does this number represent .. all the usual answers like the number of echos sold so far, in a month, in a day etc ... No .. it was the number of marriage proposals to Alexa .. men are loving Alexa .
So Amazon are logging everything you say?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've had Alexa with Prime and amazon unlimited, and I've also had it with Spotify. I prefer it with Spotify. More of the music we want to listen to is on Spotify, and Spotify has a good app, and it's better for playlists and playing them from others etc.

Yep, not disagreeing with you. I merely responded to the post that it's only worth getting IF you have Spotify, which isn't true, and then by pointing out the costs, showing you'd be better off with Amazon Music Unlimited (Spotify Premium £9.99 pcm). I've not said one is better than the other.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, not disagreeing with you. I merely responded to the post that it's only worth getting IF you have Spotify, which isn't true, and then by pointing out the costs, showing you'd be better off with Amazon Music Unlimited (Spotify Premium £9.99 pcm). I've not said one is better than the other.
Yeah £10 a month is a lot. I'm paying £15 for multiple accounts (family), which is even worse in a sense, but less per account.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Why anyone wants a box in their home that has the capability to listen to what's happening In Your house is beyond me. A hackers paradise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah £10 a month is a lot. I'm paying £15 for multiple accounts (family), which is even worse in a sense, but less per account.

I still haven't got my head around not owning anything if you stop subscribing vs access to as much music as you could ever wish to hear whenever you want, on any device, anywhere. Leasing or owning. I've had CDs in loft boxes I haven't touched in 10 years. My wife said when we moved last year why don't I get rid of them, I said because they're not really worth anything...so I kept them...clinging on to that time you had all your records or cds in a line on shelves. Hardly even worth having a digital collection these days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still haven't got my head around not owning anything if you stop subscribing vs access to as much music as you could ever wish to hear whenever you want, on any device, anywhere. Leasing or owning. I've had CDs in loft boxes I haven't touched in 10 years. My wife said when we moved last year why don't I get rid of them, I said because they're not really worth anything...so I kept them...clinging on to that time you had all your records or cds in a line on shelves. Hardly even worth having a digital collection these days.
I still have my CDs stored digitally, and I'll listen to them on foobar.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We've got an echo in the kitchen and whilst we do use it with Spotify also end up listening to the radio with it as it's easier to speak the command than walk over to the radio and press buttons. Whilst cooking use the echo to set timers and also use it to convert weight units if the recipe is in cups or the like. As I drive to work I've got my regular commute in it and ask what the traffic is like while I have my coffee. It's much more than music device.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here