Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do humans love cats so much?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Oi! Us meterosexual men like them too. True test of a real man - one who isn't shy about getting all soppy with a glorious ball of feline fluff. The acid test for any straight woman in choosing a man should be whether they are a cat lover or not, if it's the latter steer well clear.

Objection, your Honour. This is a crass generalisation.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
most people who don't like cats have never had one......like dogs they are as much of a nuisance as their owners allow them to be , ours are kept indoors at night so they are not rampaging around shitting everywhere and fighting with neighbouring cats and killing anything that moves, irresponsible cat owners give me the pip as do irresponsible dog owners.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I cannot stand cats they are neither use nor ornament unless you have mice. I do however like dogs as they seem tk be able to aporeciate a persons care more so than cats. I realise this is a personal view and each to their own. My sister in law had 6 cats and when visiting her she made sure they didnt jump on my lap as she knows my opinion of them. If you like them have them but not for me.

6 cats = ODD

boik

I imagine part of the attraction is that they never sh*t in their own back yard! :annoyed:

That's the thing about cats that gets me most. Don't get me wrong, I quite like cats, but why oh why has society decided that they are the only creatures that don't have to be kept under control? If my dog was to go jumping over fences and crapping in gardens there would be hell to pay. And don't give me that "they are natural wanderers" - so are wild dogs, so are lions, but I think people would be upset if Longleat let their cats wander everywhere.

Cats should be kept under control just like every other animal. If it's technically difficult, then they shouldn't be kept as pets.

Anyone want to borrow my soapbox? ;-)

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
That's the thing about cats that gets me most. Don't get me wrong, I quite like cats, but why oh why has society decided that they are the only creatures that don't have to be kept under control? If my dog was to go jumping over fences and crapping in gardens there would be hell to pay. And don't give me that "they are natural wanderers" - so are wild dogs, so are lions, but I think people would be upset if Longleat let their cats wander everywhere.

Cats should be kept under control just like every other animal. If it's technically difficult, then they shouldn't be kept as pets.

Cats are rarely a threat in public because of their small size and temperament. Dogs on the other hand can be a menace and a danger to the public if allowed to roam freely.

boik

Cats are rarely a threat in public because of their small size and temperament. Dogs on the other hand can be a menace and a danger to the public if allowed to roam freely.

So by your argument it would be fine for small peaceful dogs to roam loose? There is nothing exceptional about cats and yet they are regarded as an exception just for the convenience of their owners.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
So by your argument it would be fine for small peaceful dogs to roam loose? There is nothing exceptional about cats and yet they are regarded as an exception just for the convenience of their owners.

No. Even small dogs can be a menace. Some of the smallest dogs can cause injury. All dogs need to be secured/on leads in public. I don't want to see unsupervised alsations and rottweillers roaming the playgrounds and public areas. Especially in packs.

boik

No. Even small dogs can be a menace. Some of the smallest dogs can cause injury. All dogs need to be secured/on leads in public. I don't want to see unsupervised alsations and rottweillers roaming the playgrounds and public areas. Especially in packs.

I'm quite happy for dogs to be kept under control. My argument is that all pets should be kept under control. What about a shetland pony? What about micro pigs.

Still haven't heard why cats should be an exception. I hate that the neighbours cats have free roam of my property and there is no comeback.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Because cats can prowl around without causing damage. If you don't want cats in your garden get a dog! Do you dislike birds and mice on your property as well?

boik

Because cats can prowl around without causing damage. If you don't want cats in your garden get a dog! Do you dislike birds and mice on your property as well?

We have a lovely big dog. Cat prowls when dog is inside causing dog to bark (which is a kind of damage to us). Love birds and mice which is another reason to want cats out of my garden. It seems though that I have no choice which is crazy. Cat owners take no responsibility and encourage them to roam by cutting holes in their doors.

I realise that nothing is going to change, but you wont convince me that it is right.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I'm quite happy for dogs to be kept under control. My argument is that all pets should be kept under control. What about a shetland pony? What about micro pigs.

Still haven't heard why cats should be an exception. I hate that the neighbours cats have free roam of my property and there is no comeback.

did'nt really want to come on this thread as normally its a cat hate binfest
the reason why cats are allowed to roam is because under the law they are considered semi-wild animals
my suggestion is as always use a product called "roar" dried lion shite ................works every time

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We have a lovely big dog. Cat prowls when dog is inside causing dog to bark (which is a kind of damage to us). Love birds and mice which is another reason to want cats out of my garden. It seems though that I have no choice which is crazy. Cat owners take no responsibility and encourage them to roam by cutting holes in their doors.

I realise that nothing is going to change, but you wont convince me that it is right.

wierdo...you like mice ...??

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

so it's the cat owner , not the cat that's at fault.....if you had a pet slugg and let it out you would know that if you went to the back door at 6.30 and rattled its food box it would come bounding home every time...yes /no/maybe...?? only one answer isn't it.....you don't like cats..!!:hilton:

boik

Hmm, not sure if this is worth it but......

I do like a lot of cats, I have no problem with the animals themselves, just the way that they are kept. I like most kids, but if parents let theirs run around my garden uninvited then I wouldn't be too happy. Don't worry, I'm not nasty to cats or anything just don't understand why they are exempt from being kept under control. Interesting to hear that they are legally classed as semi-wild. I wonder what leads to that classification and what other animals are classed thus?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hmm, not sure if this is worth it but......

I do like a lot of cats, I have no problem with the animals themselves, just the way that they are kept. I like most kids, but if parents let theirs run around my garden uninvited then I wouldn't be too happy. Don't worry, I'm not nasty to cats or anything just don't understand why they are exempt from being kept under control. Interesting to hear that they are legally classed as semi-wild. I wonder what leads to that classification and what other animals are classed thus?
if you ever find out let me know
I along with many others tried to find out why but never had a satisfactory answer
in fact in law you do not actually own any cat
I also spent many years trying in vain to get a law to require people to have all pet cats microchipped which does not in law mean you own the cat but indicates it lives with you

and after having cats live with us for many years I can tell you that you never actually own a cat
IT OWNS YOU

Last edited:

boik

if you ever find out let me know
I along with many others tried to find out why but never had a satisfactory answer
in fact in law you do not actually own any cat
I also spent many years trying in vain to get a law to require people to have all pet cats microchipped which does not in law mean you own the cat but indicates it lives with you

and after having cats live with us for many years I can tell you that you never actually own a cat
IT OWNS YOU

Wow, I've just read the key parts of a 97 page document detailing the legalities of cat ownership (or companionship) and basically, cat owners are exempt from just about anything that a cat does - causing traffic accidents, killing a neighbours poultry, pigeons etc. No wonder the cats always look so smug - you can't touch me, I'm a cat!

Can't say I agree but there you go.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Wow, I've just read the key parts of a 97 page document detailing the legalities of cat ownership (or companionship) and basically, cat owners are exempt from just about anything that a cat does - causing traffic accidents, killing a neighbours poultry, pigeons etc. No wonder the cats always look so smug - you can't touch me, I'm a cat!

Can't say I agree but there you go.

can't say I do either, but for very different reasons
most people treat cats like orniments just to sit in a corner and look nice, I can tell you that cats get very bored if they live alone or do not have another cat to bat off and this is when they become a nuisance, ripping things to bits and generally becoming detsructive, thats why when I re-homed cats I used to like to do it in pairs.
the upside of this is they do not normally kill things unless they are on the ground (mice rats ect) basically cats are bone idol lazy sods, unless they are left to their own devices and ignored.
and I cannot for the life of me remember when a domestic cat killed someone(this is where they have one up on dogs and can I say now its very rarely the dogs fault)
in short treat a cat right and it will treat you right
as with most pets give them respect and they will be OK
and remember this they are thinking of re-introducing wolves into the country and theres already wild boar about in the Hampshire now let them get a hold and it will not only be the cats that are smug

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I love both cats and dogs and there is space on this planet for both. I think the key here is responsible pet ownership.

If I had the choice of a sweet cat running up to me on a garden wall or path for a bit fuss or a smelly lanky dog slobbering towards me just after it licked it's balls or just eaten poo, I would prefer the cat every time...

boik

I love both cats and dogs and there is space on this planet for both. I think the key here is responsible pet ownership.

If I had the choice of a sweet cat running up to me on a garden wall or path for a bit fuss or a smelly lanky dog slobbering towards me just after it licked it's balls or just eaten poo, I would prefer the cat every time...

No prejudice then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here