Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the worst offer a major brand has tried to get your business with?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I virtually never buy "premium" brands any more, they're almost never worth it. I'm trying to think of an exception to this rule, perhaps Ben & Jerry's ice cream...

I will never buy cola that isn't proper Coke - the rest are foul. Bar that, I'm with you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At a guess I'd say Virgin Media. But as they've made the mistake of printing their name on the outside of the envelopes that arrive every other day, said envelopes can be safely deposited in the bin unopened.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was once presented with this after paying for my shopping in Sainsbury's:

Screenshot_2015-06-26-08-41-49.png

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Great timing of the thread. Earlier in the week I ordered a pair of smart shoes from ASOS and today they turned up. In the bag was what you'd expect - The normal paperwork and the shoes. However, there was an added item.

A box of Jacobs Crispbreads.

Naturally I assumed that some mental case had been inserting his packed lunch in to the bags, but turns out that I was not the only person to receive them as a gift. It's the first time I'd ordered from then so I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing, or if it always happens but I have literally no idea why Crackers would persuade me to buy clothes more often. :shrug:

The company I buy RAM and hard disks off for work has a habit of firing bags of haribo in with orders.

I'm sure I'd appreciate it more if the office wasn't already swimming in haribo that we give out to kids at events...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you buy digestives your only making that bellend from made in chelsea richer.

Never watch the programme so wouldn't know. However, I suspect there are plenty of bellends that get rich on what everyone buys. Shareholders of a company don't have a bearing on what I buy. Digestive and ice cold milk, beautiful.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Not an offer, but a real Tesco experience... I wanted to buy a red pepper, but they only had a three-pack of peppers (one red, one green, one yellow). I decided to take the hit on price and pay for three peppers but, once I'd got past the checkout, I opened the pack and attempted to give the unwanted peppers away.

Absolutely NOT allowed. You'd think I'd been shoplifting from the reaction of the Tesco staff.

You've just reminded me of a story back when I worked at Sainsbury's as a wee lad.

I worked on the fruit and veg section - every day we'd mark down stuff which was going out of date. Later on in the evening it gets silly. We'd reduce everything to 5p just to get it out of the store. That used to just involve us putting a sticker over the barcode. The cashier enters the new price, removes the sticker and scans the original barcode. Simples.

But when there was a 'buy one get one free' offer, it got interesting. The system was so stupid, that it would just automatically deduct a fixed amount from your shop at the end when two of the same item were scanned REGARDLESS of whether you'd reduced or not.

Example. BOGOF on Oranges. £2 per pack. We'd reduce them to £1 for 2 packs by marking down them all to £1.50. Two would be scanned then the system would just automatically take off a fixed cost of £2. So you'd get 2 packs for a quid. We had to explain this to the poor customers until we were blue in the face. One guy though... hit the JACKPOT.

One night, we had a whole crate of Avocados which had been reduced by the new guy. But he didn't realise they had a BOGOF offer on them. So he reduced them to 5p each! A man came over. Bought the entire crate and an Iron from the homeware dept. For every 2 avocados he got 80p back! The deductions don't come up until the end of the scanning either. So a confused cashier ended up charging him next to naff all for a brand new iron and a crate of avocados. He got away with it and walked back to our department and handed us back the crate with a giant grin on his face.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I got a feller ring me telling me he could DEFINITELY save me money on my broadband - "guaranteed my friend, absolutely guaranteed"
He asked what I currently had, I told him BT ADSL2+ (at the time).
He said "You're paying 14.99 a month."
"No, less" I replied
"Ah, then you're on the old 13.99 tariff"
"No, less"
"Crikey, have you got a starting offer, extended, at 13 a month ?" (credit to him, he knew his market)
"No, Less"
"There isn't a cheaper BT Broadband tariff, how much are you paying ?"
"Nothing"
"How come ?"
"Staff free broadband"
"well why didn't you tell me at the start?"
"You never asked"
<click>
Once, when Bruce Lee was filming, one of the extras started a fight.
He was amazing at Kung Fu but Lee did a roundhouse on him - No.
He smashed him through a wall.
Instead of firing him, he said, "Go on with the filming".
You know he fights Chuck Norris in "Enter The Dragon"? - No.
You've not seen that? - No.
Have you not? That is a classic.
I've seen him fight Chuck Norris in "Way Of The Dragon"
That's what I meant.
You said you saw him fight Norris in "Enter The Dragon".
He fights Bob Wall in both, but Norris is only in "Way Of The Dragon"
So he's fighting Norris - In what?" - "Way Of The Dragon"
Correct
- Um - You know Bruce Lee's not really dead? It's in a book.
He faked his own death to work undercover for the Hong Kong police - infiltrating the Triads.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amazon sell Microsoft Giftcards. You can get a £50 card for £44.77 and a £25 one for £23.86, which is great.

However, if you want a £10 giftcard, it will cost you £13.99 (with new and used ones available from £10.44)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Opened my post today.

Sainsbury's are trying to get me to do my weekly-shop with them for the next three weeks.

They are offering 200 Bonus Nectar points in total over the three weeks. Two 50 Bonus coupons and (The big one) one 100 Bonus Nectar point Coupon.

Am I correct in thinking these coupons are worth £1 in total (2x 25p and 1x50p) over the three weeks? Do they think by dressing up 25p as 50 points I will think this is an amazing offer?!

I would have been happier to be offered nothing.

You're going to have to translate this for me I'm afraid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You've just reminded me of a story back when I worked at Sainsbury's as a wee lad.

I worked on the fruit and veg section - every day we'd mark down stuff which was going out of date. Later on in the evening it gets silly. We'd reduce everything to 5p just to get it out of the store. That used to just involve us putting a sticker over the barcode. The cashier enters the new price, removes the sticker and scans the original barcode. Simples.

But when there was a 'buy one get one free' offer, it got interesting. The system was so stupid, that it would just automatically deduct a fixed amount from your shop at the end when two of the same item were scanned REGARDLESS of whether you'd reduced or not.

Example. BOGOF on Oranges. £2 per pack. We'd reduce them to £1 for 2 packs by marking down them all to £1.50. Two would be scanned then the system would just automatically take off a fixed cost of £2. So you'd get 2 packs for a quid. We had to explain this to the poor customers until we were blue in the face. One guy though... hit the JACKPOT.

One night, we had a whole crate of Avocados which had been reduced by the new guy. But he didn't realise they had a BOGOF offer on them. So he reduced them to 5p each! A man came over. Bought the entire crate and an Iron from the homeware dept. For every 2 avocados he got 80p back! The deductions don't come up until the end of the scanning either. So a confused cashier ended up charging him next to naff all for a brand new iron and a crate of avocados. He got away with it and walked back to our department and handed us back the crate with a giant grin on his face.

I hate BOGOF. I had a huge row with the wife over 2-4-1 toothpaste a few years ago. I was muttering about how stupid it is as I only wanted one tube, suggesting that if they value my custom or want to encourage me or whatever they should sell it for 50%. Wife started having a go at me for being a knob, so in a fit of pique I picked up a single tube and marched to the till. The cashier pointed out I could have another tube for free which just kicked off the argument again but this time with the wife and a cashier against me. It's a jungle out there at times.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
My personal pet hate is the 'save 50%, plus an additonal 25%' technique commonly used by DIY stores. To many this would seem like a saving of 75%, therfore you pay a quarter of the original price. However as the additonal 25% is taken from the already lowered price, you actully pay 37.5% of the original price

50% of £10 = £5

25% of £5 is £1.25

combined saving is £6.25! - sneaky *******s.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 137

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Opened my post today.

Sainsbury's are trying to get me to do my weekly-shop with them for the next three weeks.

They are offering 200 Bonus Nectar points in total over the three weeks. Two 50 Bonus coupons and (The big one) one 100 Bonus Nectar point Coupon.

Am I correct in thinking these coupons are worth £1 in total (2x 25p and 1x50p) over the three weeks? Do they think by dressing up 25p as 50 points I will think this is an amazing offer?!

I would have been happier to be offered nothing.

Think yourself lucky. Our offer arrived in the post today which amounted to three x 50 bonus nectar points = 150.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My personal pet hate is the 'save 50%, plus an additonal 25%' technique commonly used by DIY stores. To many this would seem like a saving of 75%, therfore you pay a quarter of the original price. However as the additonal 25% is taken from the already lowered price, you actully pay 37.5% of the original price

50% of £10 = £5

25% of £5 is £1.25

combined saving is £6.25! - sneaky *******s.

The same kind of confusion happens when they say they'll pay the VAT. Back when it was at 15% I was in a shop that had a "we pay the VAT" sale on and the woman in front of me was complaining that they hadn't taken the full 15% off the price. I tried to explain to her that it's 15% of the original price not 15% of the overall price including VAT so in actual fact you only get about 13% off, she was having none of it of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here