Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v West Brom ....... in China?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a friend who, in the latter Goldstone days, was die hard. We went to all the home games, a few aways, and had a bloomin' good time in the North Stand. We lost touch, and by the time I got back in touch, he'd stopped supporting Brighton, and was now supporting Eastbourne! His reason was mainly that he thought the club had become too big, the atmosphere of standing on a terrace had gone. But I think he was basically objecting to the way football was going - and when you hear about possibilities of games being played in different continents, and money ruling everything, I can see where he's coming from. But I would never stop supporting the Albion like he did!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barca and RM hoover up 80% of all TV rights in Spain between them. :nono:
Which is a complete farce. Us fans have to try and protect our game.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As commented earlier I could easily see the Carafiz cup final located to Asia. We could win our first major trophy since 1910 in Bangkok. One messy night in Soy Cowboy.

Which is precisely why it shouldn't happen.

Can you imagine our first major cup final for 35 years and most of our fans not being able to go?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The NFL have been peddling their games to us Brits for ten years now. They always sell out and draw in fans from other European countries to boot HOWEVER to this day the NFL games in London run at a loss. That's right, filling Wembley and Twickenham in a four game series is costing the NFL more money than it makes.

Utter madness.

It's all about building a new fanbase obviously but apparently our appetite is still relatively meagre as people won't pay to watch the games on TV and merch sales clearly aren't kicking off like they might have hoped. They must have a really long term gameplan if they can upset their domestic fans and be paying for the privilege every year for ten years.

It just goes to show the insanity of big league sport in the modern era. If you can't make money from filling an 80,000 seat stadium at minimum £40 a pop then something is very wrong.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-games-in-london-lose-money-20160929-story.html

As for La Liga doing it, I'm not surprised, but I'd be pissed off as a fan of one of the big Spanish clubs. Should be an easier sell than the NFL though, as there are few countries in the world where football isn't the dominant sport

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I disagree actually - the UK is a fertile sports attendance country. We'll watch any old shìt - 55,000 turn up to watch West Ham FFS. And look at the world athletics championships - absolute choc-a-bloc a month ago at the London stadium. So I reckon they could plonk the Marlins v the Brewers at Lords for a 5 game series and the place would be sold out for all 5 games. Even if the game went to 19 innings, there would be a hell of a lot more than the 700 who stuck around until 1:30am to watch the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays this week. (another classic 2017 Blue Jays fck up)

If we watched any old shit a large chunk of that 55,000 at West Ham would be at Orient, Southend and Crawley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here