Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right then, the parade's done, the new kits been unveiled... let's start to look ahead....

Where will we finish next season?

• 1st - 6th

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • 7th - 12th

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • 13th - 17th

Votes: 169 82.4%
  • 18th - 20th

Votes: 13 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sunderland are absolutely woeful

Boro don't attack

Hull started the season as a shambles

Brighton/Newcastle/Another will be better than those 3

Plus Swansea and Palace have proper managers now.

You wouldn't have known all this at the start, the season unfolded. Next season will unfold too. You might be right, but I don't think you can say it's going to be any harder / easier just yet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd love to think we'll stay up, with the togetherness and so on, but its going to be very hard. I'm trying to think of three teams that on this season's record are going to be worse than us, and its tricky. The play-off winners one would hope will go down, although Wednesday might fancy themselves to spend a lot, Reading too. Then what? Palace just seem too resilient under Allardyce, ditto Bournemouth under Howe, Burnley under Dyche. Newcastle, Saints, West Brom, West Ham, Leicester will be fine. So we've got Swansea, who seem to be finding a new lease of life under Clement but a lot depends on their recruitment, and then Watford and Stoke who perhaps are both due a downturn.

That's only a scant look, and any of those secure clubs could just do a panic sacking of Hughes or Dyche and consign them to their fate, or Leicester could see a big sell-off of their stars this summer, nevertheless, not too many teams out there that are obvious cases to struggle. It will really be down to us playing as well as we can with confidence, and utlimately, Knockaert.

Form is a fickle mistress. The suggestion that Dyche's Burnley or Howe's Bournemouth are somehow rock solid is fanciful.

Either could easily finish bottom next season, as could any of 6 or 7 clubs (ourselves obviously amongst them).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Form is a fickle mistress. The suggestion that Dyche's Burnley or Howe's Bournemouth are somehow rock solid is fanciful.

Either could easily finish bottom next season, as could any of 6 or 7 clubs (ourselves obviously amongst them).
I think that's the problem, the fact that so many teams would appear to be at a 'just above relegation' level.
All of those teams will begin next season from a position of comparative strength, when compared to The Albion, and the play off winner.

Boro don't attack

Yep.

You wouldn't have known all this at the start, the season unfolded. Next season will unfold too. You might be right, but I don't think you can say it's going to be any harder / easier just yet.
Very true, although the deadest of deadwood has been cleared out.
It didn't take too much hindsight to predict the relegated teams.
Being charitable I guess 'Boro could have gone either way, at the start of the season, but that didn't last long.

I've never really given much thought to the advantage of being promoted early, but I've kind of realised it's actually pretty massive.
Around Europe there's been so much football played, and still on going, since Wigan.
Having Albion scouts at multiple meaningful games, certain of next seasons status, has got to be a huge benefit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I think most people looked at the Sunderland/hull squad and thought relegation, the same for Hull after the start.

I can't see a cannon fodder team next season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think that's the problem, the fact that so many teams would appear to be at a 'just above relegation' level.
All of those teams will begin next season from a position of comparative strength, when compared to The Albion, and the play off winner.

Yep.

Very true, although the deadest of deadwood has been cleared out.
It didn't take too much hindsight to predict the relegated teams.
Being charitable I guess 'Boro could have gone either way, at the start of the season, but that didn't last long.

I've never really given much thought to the advantage of being promoted early, but I've kind of realised it's actually pretty massive.
Around Europe there's been so much football played, and still on going, since Wigan.
Having Albion scouts at multiple meaningful games, certain of next seasons status, has got to be a huge benefit.

It's massive.

I would imagine talks for some PL targets have already happened

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Only three of twenty teams go down. Even discounting the seven who are *certain* to stay up, that still means only three of thirteen are going down. You'd expect every team to be odds on to stay up, surely?
No, because bookies try to attract money for unlikely events by increasing the odds.

So, being one of 3 or 4 sides that currently look weaker, I would have thought that several clubs would be at least evens.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Boro don't attack

I just pray we don't turn into a team that tries to sit on leads in the Premier League, I want it to be fun, even if we end up coming back down again. We need to follow Bournemouth's example and try and score more than we concede.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just pray we don't turn into a team that tries to sit on leads in the Premier League, I want it to be fun, even if we end up coming back down again. We need to follow Bournemouth's example and try and score more than we concede.

It's not a shock the 3 teams going down have scored the fewest goals.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If we play aggressive, attacking, exciting, dynamic football. If every player gives it their all for their own pride, and for the sake of the team. If the crowd stay behind them all the way. If we all stick together through bad and good. If we tick ALL off those boxes, and at the end of the season, we go down again.. I won't complain. I can't complain.

That said, if every player does all of those things, and we do all of those things - we'll still be in the PL for the 2018/19 season, I'm sure....

:albion2:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
img_4839.jpg
img_4840.jpg
img_4842.jpg
img_4841.jpg

I like it very much :thumbsup:
It says 'Brighton & Hove Albion have arrived'
With a loud shout of 'We are Premier League'

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
How many once all the deadwood, like Skalak, Norwood, Hemed, Baldock, Murphy etc, have been offloaded?

Wouldn't class any of those players as dead wood I'm sure they'll all be in the 25 man squad, only two I could see is selling are Norwood and Skalak if we had decent offers.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Looking back, I thought we were doomed for an immediate return to Division 2 during our first season in the old Division 1 all those years ago...............until we signed a certain Peter Suddaby who made his debut on 17th November 1979 away to Notts Forest and we won 1-0. Never looked back after that.
Sign him up, just in case!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Looking back, I thought we were doomed for an immediate return to Division 2 during our first season in the old Division 1 all those years ago...............until we signed a certain Peter Suddaby who made his debut on 17th November 1979 away to Notts Forest and we won 1-0. Never looked back after that.
The key was not so much a solid Suddaby, as being able to put the best player I've ever seen in an Albion shirt into midfield to help control things. Lawro.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
An old warhorse from Blackpool reserves teamed up with a 17 year old Gary Stevens in CM! Those were the days!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think most people looked at the Sunderland/hull squad and thought relegation, the same for Hull after the start.

I can't see a cannon fodder team next season.

Massarri leaves Watford. Who knows what will happen, who'll be stable, cannon fodder between now and August...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here