Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What will be our biggest transfer fee paid out this Summer?

What will be our biggest transfer fee paid out this Summer?

• £0 - £2.49m

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • £2.5 - £5.0m

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • £5.1m - $7.5m

Votes: 29 9.2%
  • £7.6m - £10.0m

Votes: 105 33.3%
  • £10.1m - £15m

Votes: 139 44.1%
  • £15.1m - £20m

Votes: 25 7.9%
  • £20m+

Votes: 11 3.5%

• Total voters

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
It's hard to second guess the highest price because it depends on the player market this year. My guess is prices will be up again this year. I'm sure that we will shop for bargains in the early summer,and look at the championship and loans. The key question is where we can find a 20 goal per season striker. If we don't get someone early on, we may have to pay more later. That could easily cost £15m.

We need to be careful comparing our budget to others. Last year Hull and Burnley had only been in the championship for one year with parachute payments. Middkesborough had been in the championship fir seven years but still had a big budget. Our best comparator would be Burnley or Bournemouth (the first time Burnley went up). I don't think from memory that either spent particularly heavily. Burnley went down and then came back up again.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I reckon we'll go big on a striker, quite big on a midfielder and pick up some £2-5m defenders, plus a keeper if Stocko goes. Total spend around £20-25m.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think he's unfairly labelled tbh, he's an arrogant player but always comes across as a decent individual.

I always wondered why Liverpool let him go (I thought he had the talent) and then the situation at Blackpool where is father turned travelling salesman dragged him on a tour around Europe to the likes of Monaco and Inter Milan trying to flog him to the highest bidder only for him to turn up at Hull

You're in a better position to judge him than me so I'll take your word for it, perhaps Hughton might want him?

I have a lot of sympathy for you guys now. If we were in your position, (despite long contracts), I'd be very worried about us keeping the following players:

Stockdale
Bong
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens
Knockaert
March

Hopefully you can keep hold of the bulk of your talent and go again next season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Bournemouth spent £70m in their first season in PL and Watford £65m. Bournemouth record signing £15.3m for Jordan Ibe and Watford paid £12.75m for Isaac Success. Both have looked okayish to me, but if Bolasie is worth £25m then it's impossible to work out what constitutes good value.

Cor what a great name.
And was he?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sunderland's Fabio Borini has a relegation clause in his contract and can leave for just £6m, with Celtic thought to be keen on the 26-year-old striker. (Daily Telegraph)

Derby learning by their mistakes. :facepalm:

Derby County manager Gary Rowett says he is speaking to "at least 10 agents a day" as part of his search for new players. (Derby Telegraph)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I voted for "up to £10M" but judging by the fact we were going to splurge £8M on Pritchard a year ago it could well be more. As lots more have said a young quick striker is pretty much a priority - hopefully Hughton can get one early on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I always wondered why Liverpool let him go (I thought he had the talent) and then the situation at Blackpool where is father turned travelling salesman dragged him on a tour around Europe to the likes of Monaco and Inter Milan trying to flog him to the highest bidder only for him to turn up at Hull

You're in a better position to judge him than me so I'll take your word for it, perhaps Hughton might want him?

I have a lot of sympathy for you guys now. If we were in your position, (despite long contracts), I'd be very worried about us keeping the following players:

Stockdale
Bong
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens
Knockaert
March

Hopefully you can keep hold of the bulk of your talent and go again next season.

I think only Stocko and Bong at higher risk of leaving, and both very replaceable IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if we splashed out £10-£15M on one player...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Stockdale
Bong
Dunk
Duffy
Stephens
Knockaert
March

I think the positive is that, with the possible exception of Carson & Hughes (but not for all fans), there's not one player who's sale would particularly galling, this season has been THAT bad..... Your squad has been far better balanced than ours (with obvious results) and honestly that's why I wouldn't care if they all went! Probably only Carson and Baird end the season in credit with the fans. Thanks for your hope, I begin pre-season with the usual ludicrously high level of confidence :)

Enjoy your super exciting summer transfer window!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Alejandro Gomez - Atalanta

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the positive is that, with the possible exception of Carson & Hughes (but not for all fans), there's not one player who's sale would particularly galling, this season has been THAT bad..... Your squad has been far better balanced than ours (with obvious results) and honestly that's why I wouldn't care if they all went! Probably only Carson and Baird end the season in credit with the fans. Thanks for your hope, I begin pre-season with the usual ludicrously high level of confidence :)

Enjoy your super exciting summer transfer window!

How has Hughes done since his injury?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The key question is where we can find a 20 goal per season striker. If we don't get someone early on, we may have to pay more later. That could easily cost £15m.

Only four strikers have scored 20 or more goals in the Premier League this season, Lukaku, Kane, Sánchez and Costa.

I can't see any of them going for as little as £15m, more likely double that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only four strikers have scored 20 or more goals in the Premier League this season, Lukaku, Kane, Sánchez and Costa.

Good point, well made. You'll have to bear with us as we get to grips with the workings and costings of the Premier League :smile: What did strike me yesterday, having not really bothered with MOTD before this season was that Benteke looked like an upgrade on GM. Really hope that we are looking to do the same as I don't think he has enough about him to be our number one striker in what looks like a massive step up...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Indeed. In our position, if you find a player who can score 15 goals in a season then that is AMAZING. To put it in context, Benteke and Defoe have 15 this year.

People like Llorente (14), Vokes (9) have also made key contributions this season but are nowhere near 20 league goals.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed. In our position, if you find a player who can score 15 goals in a season then that is AMAZING. To put it in context, Benteke and Defoe have 15 this year.

People like Llorente (14), Vokes (9) have also made key contributions this season but are nowhere near 20 league goals.

The way that Burnley have approached it this season is a good example of what to do:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/burnley/top-scorers

They have spread the goals out among the team rather than rely on the one player like Sunderland.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good point, well made. You'll have to bear with us as we get to grips with the workings and costings of the Premier League :smile: What did strike me yesterday, having not really bothered with MOTD before this season was that Benteke looked like an upgrade on GM. Really hope that we are looking to do the same as I don't think he has enough about him to be our number one striker in what looks like a massive step up...

I'd like to see GM and Tomer get a fairer share of the workload, next season.
While 2 better Baldock's come in to give us 5 strikers with plenty of options.

The big IF dream for the following season would be having either the 2 new strikers to build around, or so much money from their sale, TB gold plates all the urinals.

As [MENTION=1530]mejonaNO12 aka riskit[/MENTION] says any young gifted striker doesn't have to be a world beater to become a very expensive commodity in the Premier League.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to see GM and Tomer get a fairer share of the workload, next season.
While 2 better Baldock's come in to give us 5 strikers with plenty of options.

The big IF dream for the following season would be having either the 2 new strikers to build around, or so much money from their sale, TB gold plates all the urinals.

As [MENTION=1530]mejonaNO12 aka riskit[/MENTION] says any young gifted striker doesn't have to be a world beater to become a very expensive commodity in the Premier League.

I personally think Tomer will be lucky to get more than a couple of games next season tbh. Would love to be wrong but I think he is well short of being Premier League quality, too slow and easy to dispossess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here