Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Paul Weller asked Unison (organising the gig tonight) for a grand to take his family out for dinner, even though he's playing the gig for free tonight.

Afraid you have been given duff info there. The gig was organised by Rocksalts not Unison. Weller didn't even cover his expenses after declining to be paid, and having to pay for his piano to be transported from his studio in Surrey to Brighton. I attended with one of the nights DJ,s who also played for free as he is a close friend of the organiser.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Afraid you have been given duff info there. The gig was organised by Rocksalts not Unison. Weller didn't even cover his expenses after declining to be paid, and having to pay for his piano to be transported from his studio in Surrey to Brighton. I attended with one of the nights DJ,s who also played for free as he is a close friend of the organiser.

I stand corrected and will go slap down my informant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, 2017. Depeche Mode, Tony Allen, Soulwax's new project, Kraftwerk performing Computer World and Radiohead in the bag so far. Probably going to get tickets for Esben and The Witch and also definitely getting tickets for MELT festival.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
So far for 2017.
Teleman, The Fall, Half Man Half Biscuit, Elbow, Great Escape Festival, Edge Of The Sea Festival, Club The Mammoth and Kraftwerk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I miss The Great Escape.

Funny you should say that. For the first year since it started I seriously considered not getting a ticket. The line up the last two years was particularly poor with more free stuff going on in the alternative version that is better. When did you last go?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
The Fall, Drive By Truckers, Grandaddy, Buffalo Tom and Kraftwerk lined up. The ticket drawer has a heathy glow at present.,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny you should say that. For the first year since it started I seriously considered not getting a ticket. The line up the last two years was particularly poor with more free stuff going on in the alternative version that is better. When did you last go?

2012 was my last one.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
2012 was my last one.

Guess it was still going strong at that point. I do think Brighton is at its best at this time of year though. You have the main festival taking place at the same time as well as the Spiegeltent area which is always buzzing.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
In the first quarter of 2017 for me in Brighton;

FEWS, C Duncan, Inheaven, Jagwar Ma and Austra.

Great Escape didn't really grab me with it's first announcement. Last year was so good, and it's always the case I find bands I like who played TGE several months after the event. If the next announcement doesn't inspire I might just work Spiegeltent that weekend, as I did in 2015.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Fall/ Future of The Left / Girl Band/ Hookworms/ Tigercub & something else at The Forum

And Sun Ra Arkestra in Lewes. Never thought I'd get to see them so close to home.

John Cale doing the Velvets.

Kraftwerk

Safe As Milk - https://safeasmilkfestival.com/sam17/

Sometime member of Kiron Leonard's live band and highlight of my TGE last year Irma Vep plays downstairs at The Hope tomorrow. He reminds me a little bit of Richard Dawson. His new record is out on Faux Discx next week.

https://irmavepirmavep.bandcamp.com/album/no-handshake-blues

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Fall/ Future of The Left / Girl Band/ Hookworms/ Tigercub & something else at The Forum

And Sun Ra Arkestra in Lewes. Never thought I'd get to see them so close to home.

Kraftwerk

Sometime member of Kiron Leonard's live band and highlight of my TGE last year Irma Vep plays downstairs at The Hope tomorrow. He reminds me a little bit of Richard Dawson. His new record is out on Faux Discx next week.

They're playing at Union Chapel in Islington too. That would be a magical venue to see them at. I saw Eugenio Benatto leading Taranta Power there a good few years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've been to.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
They're playing at Union Chapel in Islington too. That would be a magical venue to see them at. I saw Eugenio Benatto leading Taranta Power there a good few years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've been to.
Sun Ra Arkestra is very tempting.

In my diary is Skindred in Brighton at the end of January and HRH Metal in Birmingham. Both featuring the Speedhorn.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Kraftwerk

Looking forward to The Forum too. Secretly pleased we are not playing Newcastle now that day- having said that we still have a potential cup game.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
2017 tickets so far - Subhumans, The Fall, REWS, The Stranglers, Chameleons Vox, The Skids, Pins.

I had no idea the Subhumans were still at it. Where are they playing? May have to dig the old vinyl out...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here