Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Welsh rugby (both codes) being put in the spotlight now too.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Welsh rugby (both codes) being put in the spotlight now too.

From the PEDs in football thread:

Numbers banned from sports in the UK for drug offences:

28 Rugby Players
6 Boxers
2 Athletes
2 Cyclists
2 Ice Hocker players
2 Weightlifters
1 Bobsleigher (ist)?
1 Dartist
1 Footballer
1 Wrestler

It does appear that Rugby has a huge problem right now. I believe there are a few recent newspaper articles out there on this, thus far no one has been busted at the top level, just those lower down. Maybe the guys at the bottom just don't know what they are doing...

Rugby only seems to busting low level players at the moment. That is in no way analogous with the situation in cycling in the Lance era...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I caught the back of an interview about Jona Lomu on the radio and how his medical condition nephrotic syndrome stopped him producing enough of the blood cell count he needed (and other just as bad things), it is a terrible disease and you have to admire him for actually playing and leading such an active life.

The bit I caught was that EPO was the perfect medication for him, as it would have allowed him to play at a normal level. However it was banned and he had to manage without it, strange irony that all the cheats using it to enhance performance stop someone who genuinely needed it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Was wrestling really listed as a sport? ???

I don't think a WWE style wrestler has been banned for taking PEDs. I strongly suspect 'Sports Entertainment' does not adhere to the WADA code :lolol:

It is probably one of those Olympic style Greco Roman wrestlers, you know the ones in leotards, rather than Hulk Hogan and his buddies.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think a WWE style wrestler has been banned for taking PEDs. I strongly suspect 'Sports Entertainment' does not adhere to the WADA code :lolol:

It is probably one of those Olympic style Greco Roman wrestlers, you know the ones in leotards, rather than Hulk Hogan and his buddies.

In the wake of the death of Eddie Guerrero, WWE instituted a wellness policy that covered PED. Several wrestlers have been suspended and even fired. They have a three strike system (three failures and you're out), but you can have a strike removed if you complete a rehab course at a recognised institute. Their wellness policy also covers other health issues, including concussions and recreational or medicinal drugs, acohol, etc. It is very thorough and top names have been in trouble, and at least one wrestler credits it with saving his life, having discovered a heart issue that could have killed him if it had gone undiagnosed. I would start listing them, but I can't remember which ones were for what reasons.

This also includes pre-screening for anyone who wants to sign a deal and several wrestlers have lost out on contracts for failing these tests, some have had serious health issues highlighted.

There was a lot of scepticism about it, since they instituted a drug testing policy in the early nineties after a steroid scandal. It saw several wrestlers leave (including Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior), but once the heat died down, both returned, and wrestlers started getting mysteriously bigger.

WWE is now a publicly traded company on the stock market and so have had to address a lot of issues and have not (yet) eased up on it.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-controversial-wwe-wellness-policy-scandals.php
http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/top-15-superstars-who-violated-the-wwe-wellness-policy/

http://corporate.wwe.com/faq/wwe-talent-wellness

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was wrestling really listed as a sport? ???

Mostly amateur/greco roman type olympic wrestling.

Pro-Wrestling used to be listed as a sport, back when they tried to present it as a genuine competition, but when the US government tried to tax or regulate (can't remember exactly) pro-wrestling in the US, Vince McMahon (owner of WWE) openly admitted wrestling was entertainment, and as such the restrictions/regulations/taxations levied at sport shouldn't apply to them, he has since coined the phrase "sports entertainment" to describe what they do. Old school fans still call it wrestling, though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
In the wake of the death of Eddie Guerrero, WWE instituted a wellness policy that covered PED. Several wrestlers have been suspended and even fired. They have a three strike system (three failures and you're out), but you can have a strike removed if you complete a rehab course at a recognised institute. Their wellness policy also covers other health issues, including concussions and recreational or medicinal drugs, acohol, etc. It is very thorough and top names have been in trouble, and at least one wrestler credits it with saving his life, having discovered a heart issue that could have killed him if it had gone undiagnosed. I would start listing them, but I can't remember which ones were for what reasons.

This also includes pre-screening for anyone who wants to sign a deal and several wrestlers have lost out on contracts for failing these tests, some have had serious health issues highlighted.

There was a lot of scepticism about it, since they instituted a drug testing policy in the early nineties after a steroid scandal. It saw several wrestlers leave (including Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior), but once the heat died down, both returned, and wrestlers started getting mysteriously bigger.

WWE is now a publicly traded company on the stock market and so have had to address a lot of issues and have not (yet) eased up on it.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-controversial-wwe-wellness-policy-scandals.php
http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/top-15-superstars-who-violated-the-wwe-wellness-policy/

http://corporate.wwe.com/faq/wwe-talent-wellness

Thanks Acker, all interesting stuff. Certainly a stricter drugs policy than I would have expected.

Is WWE closer to the WADA code than football?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks Acker, all interesting stuff. Certainly a stricter drugs policy than I would have expected.

I have no idea. I'm not overly familiar with the intricacies of Football's policy or WADA's. The guff on their website about the Wellness Policy doesn't mention anything about WADA, just that it is implemented by top independent doctors in various fields. (http://corporate.wwe.com/wellness/talent-wellness-summary). Reading a bit more, it's worth noting it includes annual tests just to monitor their health. They have also reached out to every former wrestler to offer assistance and funding for rehab should they choose it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always my favourite comment after 6 of their 'stars' got popped:-

Belgium pigeon racing has a code closer to WADA, than football.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
12509580_1028846257156943_2859468079360846120_n.jpg

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Love that, on the Armstrong thing, I listened to Joe Rogans podcast interview with him just before Christmas, and although what he did was bad he did give some counter balance and also seemed genuinely remorseful for things like the bullying

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Love that, on the Armstrong thing, I listened to Joe Rogans podcast interview with him just before Christmas, and although what he did was bad he did give some counter balance and also seemed genuinely remorseful for things like the bullying

'Course he is.

Not a manipulative bone in his body. Let's welcome him back...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I listened to that as well and by the end of the podcast I still could not make my mind up whether I empathised with him or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here