Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Applause Paul McCarthy

What is a fitting tribute to Paul McCarthy?

• Minutes applause before kick off

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Minutes applause in the 45th minute

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Minutes silence before kick off

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If we have to stick by the minutes applause during the game, why not at least change it to the minute of his shirt number (can't for the life of me remember what it was). The 45th minute idea is ridiculous.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Applause - a time-honoured way of expressing approval = seems such an inappropriate, almost offensive, way of marking someone's death.

A minute's silence - observed before the game - would be so much more fitting, poignant, and respectful..

I disagree.

Applauding is not only about approval. It can also be about appreciation; a celebration of one's life - and that's clearly what this applause would be about.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No room for a proper respectful minute's silence for a former player before the game anymore? Presumably it would interfere with the gormless scarf twirling and Ring Of Fire bolleaux.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
45 minutes is idiotic. Probably half the NS have gone to get their pies by then.

Anybody remember what shirt number he wore? I've tried looking but can't find it. That would be the best time to have the minutes applause.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've been very anti minutes applause of late on here, but this is an occasion where I think it certainly IS actually worthy of one. A player who many of us fondly remember, who was taken tragically young in his life.

However, I think pre-kickoff would have been more appropriate. Applauding during a specific minute during a game is always vulnerable to being "hijacked" by events on the pitch.

Plus, really, I'm watching the game. I won't really be thinking about Paul. And then there's those who'll have gone for the pie and pint queues.

I am with you on this. It SHOULD be before kick-off but for whatever reason (and I would like Barber to explain it), the club seem to have ruled it out. If the club won't allow us to have our "first preference" then it should be held in the minute of his shirt number, and not at 45 minutes when the stands are already emptying out due to the magnetic pull of the pies.

D-rod

Apr 1, 2014
As part of his family , we have spoken to the club , it is difficult for the minutes applause to be done before kick off due to timings with sky tv and the match being shown live , however as the family , and especially the children will not be attending the game it is much better this way as , it will be shown live , a picture will be put on the screens and the family will be able to see and hear the applause,i hope everyone going can show the respect he deserves

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As part of his family , we have spoken to the club , it is difficult for the minutes applause to be done before kick off due to timings with sky tv and the match being shown live , however as the family , and especially the children will not be attending the game it is much better this way as , it will be shown live , a picture will be put on the screens and the family will be able to see and hear the applause,i hope everyone going can show the respect he deserves

Thank you for the news. End of discussion folks, lets hope as many as possible can take part in this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

That's enough to end this discussion then.

Everyone should make the effort to be there for the 45th minute. Is a beer or pie really more important?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seriously think the club should have a rethink about this.

At least when its pre-kickoff, just before the applause there can be an announcement over the tannoy explaining who the minutes applause is for, and who he was. When its just in the "heat of battle" as it were, I'm not looking at the scoreboard to check for the 45th minute, I'm wrapped up in the game.

This. Let's face it sometime soon. It's simply CRETINOUS to expect people to just switch off from the game at an arbitrary given moment to pay homage to somebody a fair chunk of the attendance never even heard of. Or who we, with drink taken, in an exciting passage of play, completely forgot about.

Sake! Just stick it in the programme or hold a proper minute's silence before the game or don't do it at all. Anything else is just plain DUMB :shrug:

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If that's the wishes on the family then so be it, however for us not to be able to celebrate his life before the game due to Sky makes me horrified of what football has become

D-rod

Apr 1, 2014
It is not ideal , but this way the family who live in Sussex and four children who will not be at the game , are able to see the fans showing respect ,Paul has a lot of family in Ireland , who again will not be at the game and will really appreciate seeing the fans showing there respects , if the game was not on Sky , there would not be these problems but also on a positive side , the tribute would not be seen by his family , and also many friends that have come in contact with Paul over the many years .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here