Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton NHS trust on highest state of alert for weeks

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...candal-of-his-and-hers-trolley-corridors.html
It was so much better when New Labour was in charge wasn't it? Oh..wait a minute. Please note the date. It's when Blair was PM.
The NHS has been mismanaged by Government's for decades. Labour as well as Tory. It always seems so much easier to run when you are in opposition.

Actually it was better. Waiting times were considerably reduced from the record levels under the previous 18 years of Tory control. The number of nurses in training halved under the Tories.

What I would agree on is that some of the PFI deals have turned out to be a horrendous burden however most came about as a necessity due to underfunding of infrastructure for decades.

Two telling quotes from the Telegraph report are

'Dr John Heyworth, of the British Association of Accident and Emergency Medicine, gave warning, however, that the problems in A & E and acute wards were too deep-seated for quick fixes. "Given the scale of the problem, it is ambitious and perhaps over-optimistic to hope that this target might be in place by 2004," he said.'

'Dr Peter Hawker, of the British Medical Association consultants' committee, agreed. "The process is going to take years," he said. "We have not got the doctors, nurses and buildings in place. The Government must be honest with the public and resist the temptation to be over-optimistic - constantly ratcheting up expectations."

Remind me, how long does it take to train a doctor?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
At least we will have £31 billion upwards worth of Trident ready to fire at Trump and Putin.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is pointless one side blaming the other.
The NHS was set up in 1948 and is well overdue for radical overhaul. Before that can happen, all interested parties MUST stop treating it as a ' sacred cow', and that under no circumstances, can any changes take place. The only thing that is allowed is to throw more cash into the organisation. In a way, it is a bit like a previous problem we had in this country, namely immigration. Anyone who mentioned immigration controls was automatically labelled a racist and all discussion was shut down. Likewise, if anyone mentions anything about NHS reforms, the antis cry,' you can't do that, all doctors and nurses are saints and all politicians and managers are devils'. And as for involving the private sector( although it is highly involved in the NHS already) or suggesting some form of contribution from individuals towards the cost of their treatment; Oh My God, this is the end of the world, despite the fact that this system works pretty well in many other countries.
As I have said in other NHS threads, cast aside the politics and prejudices, get the best brains from all interested parties to use their considerable intellectual capacities and work towards a solution fit for the 21st century.:annoyed:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
for what its worth was waiting at Worthing Hospital last week and slightly bored was reading the notice board.
They had an information poster on their performance in 2016

Everything was dandy apparently, and they were out performing (public perception questionnaire) in most areas with a couple of areas "they could do better".
They were as well financially sound and came within their budget and had a small £300,000 surplus for the year.

just saying

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I slept on a trolley in RSCH A&E 3 years ago, I'm sure it's nothing new. I was admitted at 11pm, given some morphine and stayed there til midday. Never thought about complaining to anyone.

The NHS will swallow up any money you throw at it, it needs modernising and less waste for a start. RSCH renal is a terrific department, as a dialysis patient they do an awful lot for me. My experience of the rest of the hospital is somewhat worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here