Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beram Kayal's market value

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I know that we don't live in a vacuum and that everything sadly revolves around money, but these kinds of threads disappoint me.

To me, the value of a player is what he can contribute to the whole - on the pitch, off the pitch, to himself, to others, to the team, to the club - even to the city.

Having consideration of an aribtrary monetary value for the sake of speculation as if we're playing Monopoly with someone's livelihood really is a vulgar way of thinking of your club, or of running a team.

:(

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I suggested a slightly lower potential value and was shouted down the other day. I still think he's more valuable to us and the way we play currently than to others. For that reason I don't imagine we would take it but if there were offers I doubt they'd be much higher than 2.5m

I'm sorry, football's all about opinions etc etc but this is just simply wrong. Derby signed Jacob Butterfield and Bradley Johnson for £4m and £6m respectively. A championship side without the added bonus of Premier League TV money. Fulham also signed Tom Cairney for £3-4m. Kayal is better than all of these and TV money is only rising. If we didn't go up, I'd be very surprised if no Prem club would offer £5m+ for him.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Beram Kayal's market value:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Won't play on Fridays, apparently :shrug:

I thought he played against Brentford and I think that was a Friday

He did, and it was. As was Forest on the opening day of the season and Wolves on New Year's Day.

Seem to recall him having a decent game against Forest at the start of the season. Friday evening game.

As it seemed as though we were talking his importance to us down etc etc......

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I think he's probably worth more to us than any fee would would get. He's one of our top players no doubting that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Length of contract is the issue here clearly.

If he had 2 or 3 years left on his deal i would be after 6 million minimum.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Kayal £6-8million easily considering you see other midfielders who are nowhere near as good as him have sold for that or more.
Knockhaert I would price at way more than the insulting £5 million Watford are supposedly offering for him, again about £8-9 million easily.
Goldson £8 million upwards
Dunk £4-5 million.
Stephens £3 million
Bong £3 million
March £4 million
Walton £2 million total guestimate

These are all young very talented footballers with years of playing time ahead of them still too.
Hemeds price tag is rising all the time now too.

The only thing is we need to keep these lads.
Like I said in a previous post, we don't need to sell them anymore and if we want to get to the PL and don't this season what's the point in selling them ?
We will only then replace them with cheap complete unknowns as we do with a lot of our players, hoping that they will turn out to be good. That has got to stop.
Some of these players we have acquired, we have been very lucky with others have been wastes of money like CMS and others. Hard worker he was , but very rarely an end product rather like Baldock.
Strikers can work hard and do other things on the field, of course they can, but ultimately they have been bought to score goals haven't they ?

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I cannot think of one single player who has left our team to join a Premiership side which has helped to develop and improve their career. I think every single one of them would've done better to stay with us.

Bennett, Noone, Buckley, Bridcutt, Ulloa, Upson

Kayal £6-8million easily considering you see other midfielders who are nowhere near as good as him have sold for that or more.
Knockhaert I would price at way more than the insulting £5 million Watford are supposedly offering for him, again about £8-9 million easily.
Goldson £8 million upwards
Dunk £4-5 million.
Stephens £3 million
Bong £3 million
March £4 million
Walton £2 million total guestimate

Let's get ourselves into the Premier League and flog the lot of them. Play the development squad and look forward to the parachute payments that will come our way from 2017 - which will fund all sorts of benefits, like cheaper pies and a new hotel.

Football's not just about success on the field, you know.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Kayal is the best midfield player in the Championship. I wouldn't sell him unless he forced a move, if he did I'd be looking for something in the region of £10m. There are some mental valuations on here, £2.5m?!!! Really? Why on earth would they entertain that? What we paid is immaterial. The only limiting factors on his value are contract length and his age.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I cannot think of one single player who has left our team to join a Premiership side which has helped to develop and improve their career. I think every single one of them would've done better to stay with us.

If Ulloa has the Premier League winners medal dangling around his neck in a few weeks I'm sure he would disagree! :)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yours is the most mental currently!

Why? Who in the championship is better? Bradley Johnson who was bought for £6m? Gaston Ramiez went to Southampton for £12m. What about 31 year old Stewart Downing who was signed for £5m? What about £8m Jake Livermore? All of which happened before the new Sky TV deal. There is a record amount of money sloshing around in the PL and the only thing limiting his value is his age. £2.5m? ****ing crazy...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why? Who in the championship is better? Bradley Johnson who was bought for £6m? Gaston Ramiez went to Southampton for £12m. What about 31 year old Stewart Downing who was signed for £5m? What about £8m Jake Livermore? All of which happened before the new Sky TV deal. There is a record amount of money sloshing around in the PL and the only thing limiting his value is his age. £2.5m? ****ing crazy...

In fairness, the biggest difference between them and Kayal is that there is only one year left on Kayal's contract. That reduces his value dramatically. Otherwise I would agree with you. We turned down a lot of money (rumoured to be £4 million) for Stephens in the summer and we'd do the same with Kayal. However, if he doesn't sign a new contract, we're going to be under a bit more pressure to sell, although we're still not going to sell our best player in the summer for anywhere near £2.5 million!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Been like that since Small (Zamora excepted).

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Kayal is the best midfield player in the Championship. I wouldn't sell him unless he forced a move, if he did I'd be looking for something in the region of £10m. There are some mental valuations on here, £2.5m?!!! Really? Why on earth would they entertain that? What we paid is immaterial. The only limiting factors on his value are contract length and his age.

You have scrutinised every Championship midfielder then?

Aug 23, 2011

Don't think you can include Upson, he is in the twlight of his career

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here