Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Keane called up to the England squad. Better than Lewis Dunk?...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The FA have no control over the FL, this is independently governed so couldn't enforce this on cup games.

I know it has no control but the FA does have control over the FA Cup. It can make its own rules so it could have quotas if it wanted to but, as I said, it would be nearly impossible to impose so would never happen.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I could struggle to understand how putting a restriction on foreign players could in any way improve the England team? Doesn't this only elevate players up through the Leagues. So further down the line a National league player gets to play in the First or Second Div. Would that mean we at the Amex would be watching players, who at present play for Crawley turning out for us in the Championship? Hardly turn Leon Best into Messi would it? All it would do in fact is lower the playing standard of English Leagues whilst raising the standard of others.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not sure whether Keane is better than Lewis Dunk, but he does have Premier League experience. That will always put him ahead of Dunk in the England order.

For me, Dunk has more class with Keane seeming a more old fashioned centre half (but I've not seen a lot of him). However, he has started well this season from the sound of it and scores goals for Burnley. It's a fair choice for me but, if a similar situation comes up next year with Dunk playing Premier League football (either for us or if he is sold in the summer), it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get a chance.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It depends if the FA want to make the national team better. All they have to do is make a rule that in games under their jurisdiction which the Premier FL and all local football is, no team can field more than 3 non English players. They would obviously have to set an effective date in the future for teams to get their players sorted and those not required transferred away. Simple just takes a bit of balls.to withstand the flack.

There were few overseas players in English football in 1974, 78, 94 when we failed to qualify for the World Cup.

It's not the quantity of English players that's the problem, it's the quality, coaching and development. The FA has very expensive capital infrastructure projects such as Wembley and St George's but there are only 1,395 UEFA 'Pro'/A qualified coaches, compared to over 16,000 in Spain.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
There were few overseas players in English football in 1974, 78, 94 when we failed to qualify for the World Cup.

It's not the quantity of English players that's the problem, it's the quality, coaching and development. The FA has very expensive capital infrastructure projects such as Wembley and St George's but there are only 1,395 UEFA 'Pro'/A qualified coaches, compared to over 16,000 in Spain.

I think Redknapp got it spot on on TalkSPORT last night.

The money doesn't make it down to the grass roots. It stays in the premier league, we can't develop if there is no money in lower leagues or youth levels.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
However good our players get part of me doesn't want to see them get into the national side as (1) their profile gets raised and we get bids for them from PL sides with more money than us and (2) they get more opportunities to get injured

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Just goes to show how close Dunk is to a call up. As someone else mentioned Scott Dann is good and then there's Ben Gibson at Middlesborough who would be ahead of Dunk purely as he's playing at Premier League level. Other than that there aren't many other options. Whenever Dunk plays in top flight I really don't think it'll be long afterwards until he's playing for England.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For all the fuss and accolades from the Weds fans about him being the best away player ever, I notice that Dunk didn't even make the SkyBet Championship team of the WEEK.

That's because Huddersfield's result was much more impressive, probably :smile: well according to that old Albion favourite Chris Iwelumo it was, so there were probably others too. Seems it's only us Albion fans that thought it was a bit special.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
His average performance is better yes. I'd take 8 out of 10 every week (if he played in the Champ) rather than the full range of occasional 9s to occasional 5s from Dunk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We are slowly but surely moving towards that point where, before long, England will routinely be drawing players from the Championship.

Whilst that wasn't such a surprise in the days of Kerry Dixon, Mark Hatelely and Steve Bull in these days of Prem riches it should be inexcuseable.

The likes of Stockdale, Dunk, Will Hughes, Stephens, Redmond are not a million miles behind the likes of Heaton, Caulker, Livermore, Huddlestone, Zaha who have all played for England.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Dunk's been fabulous this season, but I can't believe he's in the top five English centre halves in the country. He had a good season last time around, though it's easy to forget he got some stick in December/January. He also got a silly red card against Derby when he should have kept his head and stayed on his feet. That arguably cost us dear in the long run. Also got a clumsy yellow v Brentford recently, and is now, I believe, one game from a suspension again (as is Knockaert!). He's been great, but his record suggests there's still a mistake in there at times.

Not sure about Ben Gibson- he was carried by Daniel Ayala's brilliance last season. Keane seems to be doing well. Dann can sod off, obviously. Stones has been imperious for City this year. Wasn't so good last season, but that was at Everton under Martinez, and reports seem to suggest he's vastly improved under Guardiola.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO We must enjoy Dunk,this season,if we don't get promoted,and he continues his present form.I think the club have covered that possibility with their summer signings.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I think that it is good for English football, think you may be being a bit snobby there to be honest.

Didn't mean to be - I'd be as proud as punch if there were three Albion players in the squad. I just think the odds are more against us getting close to winning a major tournament with a squad of that profile. But then again we didn't get far with the golden generation of players from United, Liverpool etc either!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We are slowly but surely moving towards that point where, before long, England will routinely be drawing players from the Championship.

Whilst that wasn't such a surprise in the days of Kerry Dixon, Mark Hatelely and Steve Bull in these days of Prem riches it should be inexcuseable.

The likes of Stockdale, Dunk, Will Hughes, Stephens, Redmond are not a million miles behind the likes of Heaton, Caulker, Livermore, Huddlestone, Zaha who have all played for England.

How much of that is because of the TV money?

Clubs such as Brighton (Not meant as an insult) are holding out for £8 million for Stephens, who is a PL player because the gamble for the riches makes it worth it.

5-10 years he go he would have been sold.

Livermore getting a cap for England was as funny as Mason.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here