McArthur still not learning

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
From Argus

Rye and Iden United manager Glyn White insists signing Duncan McArthur is not a gamble.

The County Leaguers snapped up the former Albion trainee after he was thrown out of Hastings United for disciplinary problems last week.

McArthur still had a year left on his Hastings contract, but was put up for sale after being sent off for the seventh time in his four-year Hastings career against Folkestone.

He then refused to train with the rest of the team later in the week causing Hastings manager Steve Lovell to lose patience.

The problems were the latest in a long line of misdemeanours by the 22-year-old.

Last season he missed 16 games for Hastings and was hit with a £100 fine by the Dr Martens League after he received ten bookings and was sent off twice in three games.

White is unconcerned about the poor disciplinary record which has plagued McArthur at Hastings.

He said: "I don't think I am taking a gamble because on his day he is the best midfielder in Sussex bar none.

"I'm not worried about his disciplinary record. When you sign someone like that it is not about taking a chance, it is a great signing and I am delighted he decided to come here."

Rye paid £500 for McArthur, who is set to make his County League debut at East Preston tomorrow. White insists it is money well spent and believes he will be able to get the best out of the temperamental midfielder.

He said: "It is a major coup for this club to sign someone like him and I think he will be a great addition to the team.

"We have a few players here who have had so-called reputations in the past and we don't have any problems with them and I don't see why McArthur will be any different.

"He was unsettled at Hastings and now he just wants to play football and that is what he has come here to do."

It would appear McArthur has a slight attitude problem!! :rolleyes: Anyone know the REAL reason why he was booted out from the Albion? It was never really explained at the time as I remember. Whatever the reason, it appears Micky's judgement was sound?........

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Adams offered him another year, but I don't know why it all fell through. His debut at Plymouth in 98/99 season he got man of the match and set up Moralee's winner. Shame cause he looked an exciting prospect.

Albion Rob

I think he had a go at Micky Adams at the training ground. Called him a bastard or something.

He has always been trouble. I remember we were called up to the district team at the same time. I was called up late becuase I wasn't really all that good and managed to hit a purple patch of form for 18 months. Dunc was called in late because the manager at the time (remember we were 14!) thought he was a great player but a complete liability with his temper and mouth.

At the time though he was better than Gareth Barry by some margin. Better left foot, more skillful and generally more exciting. Barry was class don't get me wrong, but he also has a good attitude and trains hard. Now he has made it I guess he can afford to mouth off like he did at Pompey.

Dunc on the other hand could have been a great Albion player if he had a better attitude and i still believe he could make it as a pro if he got his head down. Probably too late now.

Look at his best mate Ramsay. Crap player, but a pretty good attitude to training so played as a pro footballer, something no-one can take away from the f***ing twat.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think he just went AWOL after a slagging from Adams.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I have it on good authority that his departing words to Adams after being given the spanish archer from the Albion were a parting shot about it being easy to find and play for a bigger club than ours.

Don't think Nostradamus has much to worry about predictions wise then.

I work with a Hastings Utd player who always maintained when McArthur crossed that white line he became a nutter (well more so than usual anyway).

He always was £500 short of a grand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports