Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Beatles.

Impossible to convey how, in every possible way, how incredible they actually were and the impact they had. .

You've let yourself down there Jem. Your posts on here are usually reasoned and well thought out, but that is a hysterical claim in more ways than one. The Beatles weren't as talented or as ground breaking as Dylan, Wilson or Davies, but have been credited by far too many as being solely responsible for everything good that came out of the sixties music and counter culture. To mention them in response to a question about the most underrated band is akin to suggesting Donald Trump as the most rational and intelligent man ever to be elected president of the USA.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
From the early 1970s the Sutherland Brothers, best known for Arms of Mary and writing terrace favourite Sailing, a big hit for Rod the Mod, but they produced these beauties.

How none of these were huge hits still mystifies me to this day.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Gene Clark
Uriah Heep
As you like Gene Clark, I feel sure you would enjoy Chris Hillman's latest album 'Bidin' my time'.
Got nothin' on Uriah Heep. Too 'eavy, too 'umble for my taste back in the day. More of a Free, Purple, Zep, Tull man myself although liked a bit of Atomic Rooster who might fit the underrated tag

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Iron Butterfly fit the bill perfectly. Massively successful but just a few years after the big hit they were forgotten, and even regarded as shit. The band's seminal 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is among the world's 40 best-selling albums, selling more than 30 million copies. And I expect few on here have heard of them.

For the record, I have never heard a single track by this lot. Not one. Ever.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Iron Butterfly fit the bill perfectly. Massively successful but just a few years after the big hit they were forgotten, and even regarded as shit. The band's seminal 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is among the world's 40 best-selling albums, selling more than 30 million copies. And I expect few on here have heard of them.

For the record, I have never heard a single track by this lot. Not one. Ever.

I have the album. Believe me, it IS shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What do you expect when listening on the iPod. I assume that the Beatles stuff you uploaded was not mixed for the iPod. At the time there was a backlash that after finally consenting to release digatlly that the volume was too low and everything sounded inferior to vinyl.

But accept that not everyone is a Beatles fan.

I bought two double cds of all the best shit, remixed, and I uploaded them to MP3, like I have done 16,000 odd times. I know the difference between poor reproduction and music that simply doesn't float my boat.

I asked my mate (see above) who he regards as being the best band ever (not the topic of the thread but the reason for my reply to Jem's post).....despite everything above my mate's immediate reply was 'Dr Feelgood'. Then he added 'also the Beatles'. Then he thought a bit and said 'The Doors, the Beach Boys....many others were much more ground breaking than the Beatles'. This was before I explained why I was asking.

The Beatles were more than a band. Just like Trump is more than a president, Linda Lovelace was more than an actress, Kevin Pietersen was more than a cricketer, Christeen Keeler was more than a hostess, Dave Beckham was more than a footballer, Vanessa Mae is more than a Violinist,Tiger Woods is more than a golpher, Donny Osmond is more than a chubby cockweasel, etc etc. They were creatures if their times, and every ligger wanted a slice, every article about them earned corn for the writer. The relationship they have with real greatness is not linear.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sight of You is just one of my favourite ever records. Between Pale Saints and Ultra Vivid Scene you’ve pretty much nailed my teenage / early 20s answers. The only band I could offer of the same era was Paris Angels who played one of my favourite ever Zap gigs and then disappeared.

But a few over the years to consider, some already named; The Beta Band, The Only Ones, St Etienne, The Aliens, The Magic Numbers, Iron and Wine. Again depends on your definition of underrated though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
As you like Gene Clark, I feel sure you would enjoy Chris Hillman's latest album 'Bidin' my time'.
Got nothin' on Uriah Heep. Too 'eavy, too 'umble for my taste back in the day. More of a Free, Purple, Zep, Tull man myself although liked a bit of Atomic Rooster who might fit the underrated tag

Got another - Budgie, which probably may be a bit heavy, great three piece from Wales saw them at the Brighton Top Rank. Another from that time Nazareth who I also saw there. Be-Bop Deluxe a few years later at the Brighton Centre, Axe Victim a great album, especially the track No trains to Heaven.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw him at The Concorde 2. He was good, but I never detected greatness.

I saw him three times. He was by no means a class live act, and actively didn't like performing, and had no end of problems in his life which often manifested themselves live. His great strengths were his songwriting, and his arrangements and production.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I bought two double cds of all the best shit, remixed, and I uploaded them to MP3, like I have done 16,000 odd times. I know the difference between poor reproduction and music that simply doesn't float my boat.

I asked my mate (see above) who he regards as being the best band ever (not the topic of the thread but the reason for my reply to Jem's post).....despite everything above my mate's immediate reply was 'Dr Feelgood'. Then he added 'also the Beatles'. Then he thought a bit and said 'The Doors, the Beach Boys....many others were much more ground breaking than the Beatles'. This was before I explained why I was asking.

The Beatles were more than a band. Just like Trump is more than a president, Linda Lovelace was more than an actress, Kevin Pietersen was more than a cricketer, Christeen Keeler was more than a hostess, Dave Beckham was more than a footballer, Vanessa Mae is more than a Violinist,Tiger Woods is more than a golpher, Donny Osmond is more than a chubby cockweasel, etc etc. They were creatures if their times, and every ligger wanted a slice, every article about them earned corn for the writer. The relationship they have with real greatness is not linear.
Loads more ground breaking than The Beatles :) very few I can think of in popular music other than Frank Sinatra, Elvis and Led Zep, who referenced blues music and made it mainstream. Brian Wilson made his masterpiece Pet Sounds in response to Rubber Soul and when he heard Sgt Pepper more or less gave up.
Could also add Joy Division. Those are ground breaking bands by definition of how subsequent artists reference them as influences. But as they say anyone can have an opinion.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I'd have to dispute that many bands were much more ground breaking than The Beatles. The Sixties was a decade of continuous musical innovation, but The Beatles were continuously ground breaking and that's the difference. Every single and every album was different and eagerly anticipated because you never knew where they would go next. Having lived through that momentous decade and listened to as much music as I could, I cannot describe the thrill and the buzz of anticipation for every scrap of new Beatles music and they never failed to deliver, year in and year out. The Doors, Beach Boys, Kinks, Stones, Dylan to name but a few, were all wonderful but, unlike The Beatles, they lacked consistency in their groundbreaking. A great decade for a music loving kid to grow up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Pleased to see the Beta Band being called out, superb band. I was listening to Boys Outside by Steve Mason earlier today, his solo stuff is very good.

I'll also throw in Interpol who tended to be over looked as they arrived around the same time as the Strokes & The White Stripes.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loads more ground breaking than The Beatles :) very few I can think of in popular music other than Frank Sinatra, Elvis and Led Zep, who referenced blues music and made it mainstream. Brian Wilson made his masterpiece Pet Sounds in response to Rubber Soul and when he heard Sgt Pepper more or less gave up.
Could also add Joy Division. Those are ground breaking bands by definition of how subsequent artists reference them as influences. But as they say anyone can have an opinion.

Great post. Thanks for remembering Joy Division.

The Beatles have to be taken in context of the early 60's (what mainstream music was about then), what they changed then, and then again and again through the decade. People who can't stand them often quote other "far more influential" 60's artists, and to me many of those others were great too. It's not a binary choice. The 60's was an exciting time for music.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here