Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reading v Sheffield United (Attendance)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But that happens, it's football. Clubs rise and decline, fans "banter" accordingly, and some of those fans are idiots. It happens at many clubs.

I accept Reading will always be the new kids on the block, despite the fact we've achieved more in the last 15 years than giants Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday & Nottingham Forest put together. 15 years is a long time!

I'm guess I'm surprised that you don't identify with us more considering you have spent the majority of your history in the 3rd division and have risen in the last couple of decades, like us.

Not many clubs' support rubbed it in our faces as much as yours though, when we were at our lowest.

You yourself and even your club probably don't deserve the shit you get on here, but it is understandable based on a large majority of your vocal support. Yes football is cyclical and fans will always rip into each other but your fans being less than sympathetic during your rise and our fall won't be forgotten in a hurry.

Fair play to you for remaining on here.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not many clubs' support rubbed it in our faces as much as yours though, when we were at our lowest.

You yourself and even your club probably don't deserve the shit you get on here, but it is understandable based on a large majority of your vocal support. Yes football is cyclical and fans will always rip into each other but your fans being less than sympathetic during your rise and our fall won't be forgotten in a hurry.

I agree - nothing against theroyal who has been on here a lot before - just the Club.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Any Brighton fan from the Goldstone days knows Brighton and Reading have history. Reading were very much hated along with Swindon and Oxford.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I went to Reading once in the early 00's and that was enough for me. Never been back. Hate the City, stadium and everything that surrounds the Club.

Town, not city. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve got quite a few friends who support the Biscuits, and have done since they were at Elm Park, and I know they regard most of the fans who only discovered that Reading had a team when they went up to the Premier a league a bit of an embarrassment. And they are aware that they haven’t got a history that really compares with ours - the Brian Clough interlude, the four seasons in the old first division, the FA Cup final, Hereford etc.

theroyal

May 11, 2014

It's your forum mate, you've got a right to voice whatever you like on here, I just happen to be a member.

Every club has its idiots, though, sometimes chants get started and people join in. I wouldn't say I'm aware of many Reading fans who have a grudge against Brighton - certainly not a majority.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I’m really not a fan of Reading but a few of you want to remember our shocking turnout against our biggest rivals in an FA Cup 4th round tie!

Indeed. We are experiencing our best times in many, many years. We do enjoy bigging ourselves up don't we, we really don't do ourselves any favours.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
What about leaving away fans high and dry (wet and cold) outside your stadium on a freezing winter's day for 45 minutes while the home fans are ferried off
in cosy warm buses the short distance back home. Oh they did come back eventually which was f*****g nice of them.

I can sympathize with his :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't mind Reading as a club. Pardew was a bit of a tool there of course, as always, and the pitch invasion was immensely funny, but other that good luck to them.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
While I appreciate you're having a laugh at our expense (why you would concern yourself with us when you're in the Premier League is beyond me but, oh well) it was -7c in the stadium, our football and home record is utterly dire this season and fans are voting with their feet. The owners are pretty much non-existent so hopefully it will send a message.

Attendance was 17,000 on Saturday. So it's not like it's been consistently low.

I'll join in, though... erm, *clears throat*

TINPOT! PATHETIC SUPPORT! *posts a link to that song and the pitch invasion*

Under 9k last night I see.

Was it a bit chilly? Or too much drizzle?

FFS even Palace got 15k in the championship when it was clear that they weren't going to go up. I thought their 10k prem only support was embarrassing but you've well and truly outdone that. Unbelievable

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Under 9k last night I see.

Was it a bit chilly? Or too much drizzle?

FFS even Palace got 15k in the championship when it was clear that they weren't going to go up. I thought their 10k prem only support was embarrassing but you've well and truly outdone that. Unbelievable

Yeah, I was there. Some fans must be boycotting (there is a thread on our forum about a boycott too). If it's the only way our owners will even bother noticing what's going on with the club, wouldn't you do the same? A few weeks ago, Stam actually ASKED the boo boys not to bother attending anymore - it looks like they've heeded that advice.

The attendance drop has only happened over the last two games so I can only deduce that some fans are just finally fed up. Before that, we were averaging over 17,000. If you'd be subject to what has been on offer this season, especially recently, you'd probably understand. It has parallels with the situation at Arsenal. Shit results, insipid, toothless football, broken players, bizarre tactics and team selection, a manager that won't be sacked no matter what, absent owners.

We are sleepwalking into League One. Obviously it's terrible numbers, and I fully expect all the generic "tinpot" name-calling (whatever that actually means). And tbh, I don't care, have at it. I'm more concerned about the future of my club.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yeah, I was there. Some fans must be boycotting (there is a thread on our forum about a boycott too). If it's the only way our owners will even bother noticing what's going on with the club, wouldn't you do the same? A few weeks ago, Stam actually ASKED the boo boys not to bother attending anymore - it looks like they've heeded that advice.

The attendance drop has only happened over the last two games so I can only deduce that some fans are just finally fed up. Before that, we were averaging over 17,000. If you'd be subject to what has been on offer this season, especially recently, you'd probably understand. It has parallels with the situation at Arsenal. Shit results, insipid, toothless football, broken players, bizarre tactics and team selection, a manager that won't be sacked no matter what, absent owners.

We are sleepwalking into League One. Obviously it's terrible numbers, and I fully expect all the generic "tinpot" name-calling (whatever that actually means). And tbh, I don't care, have at it. I'm more concerned about the future of my club.

Shame.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
If I could be arsed I would search out the thread when this small town club got it's new foreign know-nothing owners and were all set to take over the world (see also SWFC)

Those amongst us who will never ever trust out of town owners again predicted all might not turn out quite as anticipated.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know all the nuances of your history, so we obviously differ outside of this. I wouldn't know because I'm not a fan of the club - and that works both ways. You don't know a lot about being a Reading fan - you may think we're tinpot and you're entitled to your opinion, but you're making assumptions based on an outside view. And that, in a nutshell, is what irks many Reading fans about other clubs :p
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're from Reading and you support your local team, good for you, it's better than supporting a top 6 team.

Half the fun of football in England is having some dislike for other clubs based on the flimsiest of reasons.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Similar situation to Arsenal? In terms of a support base that seems to think it has a right to a certain level of success I guess.

In Reading's case that is based on a relatively recent and previously unprecedented expansion in interest (i.e. since the new stadium). There's nothing really to boycott is there beyond things not going as well on the pitch as you want? There has been investment, quite a big investment last year. It's not as if you've sold a load of players and see the beginning of an asset strip is it? Looks like new world football problems to me and a support base that is uncommitted. A natural return to the original club following is all. Some genuine Reading fans will embrace that I'd imagine. You sound like you might be one of those?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here