Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, I never said you should 'suck it up' - just felt that that people are getting confused about the scope of these new rules.

I'm also often in 1901 - I was in the MWB lounge on Sunday - and always bring a bar of chocolate in my jacket pocket to have with my half time coffee. Can't see the harm in that, and think it would be petty to stamp down on such, but any more than that, I'd side with them - to go into what is basically a restaurant / lounge and expect to be able to unwrap a picnic lunch is unrealistic, IMO.

I agree and I have no problem with flasks being banned. I used to take one to Gillingham and Withdean but feel no need to take one to the 1901, I do get why some people might be pissed as your own coffee/tea is going to be better than what’s available after you have queued. However banning taking sweets into the 1901 cannot be justified in any way imo. A full blown picnic, then yes I understand.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As I’m in a corporate part of the ground I should just suck it up should I? I confess I didn’t know the rules were different depending on where you sat as I only picked up on the alleged 1901 new rules.

Sorry, extra strong mints are banned in corporate areas.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Banning sweets is simply corporate greediness.

If the club wish to define the area as a restaurant I can understand the ban on a sandwich.

I have the same frustration with hotels but not all behave like that.

Under powered mini bars make me laugh and define the paradox of service. They desperately want you to partake in the overpriced alcohol but to discourage you from putting your own stuff in they don't chill enough. Why would I therefore pay over the odds for a tepid bottle of beer?

An extra 10 euros to use the in-cupboard safe is a other example.

Not all hotels are like that but in my experience the more you pay, the more you are expected to pay.

The club need to find a balance and albeit on a few occasions they get it wrong, just like hotels and airlines.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think I need to apply for a patent for my rechargeable food heating bag.

No bigger than a large paper back the bag would have a number of powerful batteries in the base, the ones you find in power banks, the circuitry discharging the power very quickly.

The beauty of my design is that it heats (as well as keeps warm) but can be brought into the stadium cold.

After passing through security where the bag is opened (and optionally the steward can taste the food) you simply place it under your seat and turn it on.

As the aroma of Chicken Madras wafts from under your seat into the faces of those behind you, you can smugly sit there 5 minutes before half time knowing a hot curry is waiting for you at half time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really?! Depends how you luzz it. If you empty a little and you grab it by the neck and throw it arse end first then it will sail quite a distance even if some of it comes out, even further if you plug the hole with a scrap of paper. I'd love to know how many injuries have been recorded at a football ground from a plastic bottle top weighing no more than a couple of grams? I'd hazard a guess and say very few if any have been recorded. Coins on the other hand which can be freely taken into a stadium have been regularly reported as being used as missiles over the years. its simply a stupid rule made up by someone and adopted by many without any real reasoning behind it.

Indeed, a £2 coin could do considerable damage. Coins never banned though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It is only logical if they give us the logic behind it. Currently it is not logical. Why are flasks a security risk and not umbrellas or keys or shoes or walking sticks or any number of other objects. They may have a VERY good reason for the ban, but they should at least tell us!

It defies ALL logic. I am not aware that there has EVER been a security incident at a football match involving a thermos. I could be wrong but after more than 50 pages I'm sure somebody would have told us if there had been.

Unless the police have specifically stated that they have intelligence that bombers are now using flasks, the "safety and security" explanation is just nonsense. Makes the club in general, and Barber in particular, look petty and daft.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It defies ALL logic. I am not aware that there has EVER been a security incident at a football match involving a thermos. I could be wrong but after more than 50 pages I'm sure somebody would have told us if there had been.

Unless the police have specifically stated that they have intelligence that bombers are now using flasks, the "safety and security" explanation is just nonsense. Makes the club in general, and Barber in particular, look petty and daft.
Not flasks specifically but sealed metal or glass containers which have been used. Its the material that makes them dangerous IF converted into something else.

I think it's daft too but not surprised. They have probably been identified as a "risk" for a long time by whoever assesses these risks and they have been ticked off.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not flasks specifically but sealed metal or glass containers[/B] which have been used. Its the material that makes them dangerous IF converted into something else.

I think it's daft too but not surprised. They have probably been identified as a "risk" for a long time by whoever assesses these risks and they have been ticked off.

But they have banned plastic ones as well...........

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I think the club just need to compromise on this issue .

So only plastic flasks allowed and only then by supporters in the possession of an over 65 season ticket .
No other customers allowed to bring in flasks of any type .
This should reduce the risk of a flask related terrorist incident .

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think the club just need to compromise on this issue .

So only plastic flasks allowed and only then by supporters in the possession of an over 65 season ticket .
No other customers allowed to bring in flasks of any type .
This should reduce the risk of a flask related terrorist incident .

You ageist you!

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
I am surprised there are still hot foods and drinks being sold on the concourses and in the lounges.

Surely they should be banned for health and safety reason as hots foods and drinks can burn your hands/ mouth/tongue/throat?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am surprised there are still hot foods and drinks being sold on the concourses and in the lounges.

Surely they should be banned for health and safety reason as hots foods and drinks can burn your hands/ mouth/tongue/throat?

Maybe that’s why they’re mostly served lukewarm :smile:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Maybe that’s why they’re mostly served lukewarm :smile:

To be fair, I reckon it is.

Many moons ago, away at Luton, I saw a guy chuck a hot coffee in someone's face as soon as he bought it from the kiosk.

As I say though, it came from the cup he bought, not a flask......

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I think I need to apply for a patent for my rechargeable food heating bag.

No bigger than a large paper back the bag would have a number of powerful batteries in the base, the ones you find in power banks, the circuitry discharging the power very quickly.

The beauty of my design is that it heats (as well as keeps warm) but can be brought into the stadium cold.

After passing through security where the bag is opened (and optionally the steward can taste the food) you simply place it under your seat and turn it on.

As the aroma of Chicken Madras wafts from under your seat into the faces of those behind you, you can smugly sit there 5 minutes before half time knowing a hot curry is waiting for you at half time.

Something like this maybe - doesn’t even need batteries.

http://evaq8.co.uk/hot-meal-kit-chicken-tikka-masala-chickpeas-and-rice.html

797277DE-BCE6-4A61-A43C-B95268DD4CCD.jpeg

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
PB reckons hot drinks are not overpriced and comparable to High Street prices. So our lukewarm watered selection served in a school canteen push and shove conditions is comparable to a Costa or something similar in a nice coffee shop?

If it isn't about revenue and the amounts are insignificant, introduce the ban but cut the price of a hot drink to £1. Problem solved everyone's happy.

Comparing the coffee at the Amex to that in a High Street Coffee shop is nonsense. I tried the coffee at the Amex once and it was by far the worst I've ever had. I wouldn't even claim the free one I got from my Hat-Trick ticket on Sunday.

For me though, one of the main issues is the timing of the announcement. Some people have been taking flasks to games for decades, especially some older people. The club was happy enough to start taking everyone's season ticket money back in April, and everyone quite rightly assumed that the conditions of entry to the ground would be the same as they have always been, given that there was no notification of any change at that time. To now move the goalposts after people have already paid a big chunk of cash is just wrong, especially when the reason given is pretty flimsy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But they have banned plastic ones as well...........
Yes I know on clarification, but you cant expect stewards to check out the material especially if they're plastic with a metal inner. With a modern flask its unclear.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Comparing the coffee at the Amex to that in a High Street Coffee shop is nonsense. I tried the coffee at the Amex once and it was by far the worst I've ever had. I wouldn't even claim the free one I got from my Hat-Trick ticket on Sunday.

For me though, one of the main issues is the timing of the announcement. Some people have been taking flasks to games for decades, especially some older people. The club was happy enough to start taking everyone's season ticket money back in April, and everyone quite rightly assumed that the conditions of entry to the ground would be the same as they have always been, given that there was no notification of any change at that time. To now move the goalposts after people have already paid a big chunk of cash is just wrong, especially when the reason given is pretty flimsy.

Totally agree about the Amex coffee . Once was enough , I have no desire to repeat the experience .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here