Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 23,661

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that the fact the football was pretty boring under Oscar, then dropped off a cliff last season, has had an impact. I could see one or two thousand coming back if we had a proper striker and scored more goals.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think that the fact the football was pretty boring under Oscar, then dropped off a cliff last season, has had an impact. I could see one or two thousand coming back if we had a proper striker and scored more goals.

This begs the question, if we are promoted, will fans accept pragmatic football that keeps us in the top flight?

The Mike Bailey stats would suggest otherwise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The high cost must play a part.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This begs the question, if we are promoted, will fans accept pragmatic football that keeps us in the top flight?

The Mike Bailey stats would suggest otherwise.

A few fans are already complaining that we're only winning by one goal or too many draws. I dread to think how they'll cope if we get promoted.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A few fans are already complaining that we're only winning by one goal or too many draws. I dread to think how they'll cope if we get promoted.

Same problem behind us in WSU, mediocre football where you will only win certain games in the Premiership will be very interesting

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is also true. The Albions support will drop further I expect. If you take out the probable 3000 no shows yesterday then the actual attendence was really about 20-21k.

PS and £41 for an east stand walk up ticket is taking the Pisa. Justify all you like but it's as gob-smacking as the story this morning that Kevin Campbell has lost £7m investment along with load of other players like Savage and Keown. Really real shock was how the hell did a very average player like Kevin Campbell earn £7m to lose anyway? The amount players get is ridiculous!! FFS football, get your house in order!

If you pay for sky sports you are part of the problem.

el punal

Am I alone in being a teeny bit disappointed that more of the good people of Sussex are not coming out to see the Albion still?

I appreciate yesterday there wasn't a large away contingent and there were the train issues from the West, but I still looked around at kick-off and most stands looked a bit 'gappy'.

Over 23,000 is wonderful of course - don't get me wrong. Most clubs in the division would love to have that level of support. I just want a few more people to come along and enjoy the current ride.
Still the highest crowd of the day for the Championship. Hull v Middlesbrough drew 20,352 for a top of the table clash.

Feb 14, 2010
If you pay for sky sports you are part of the problem.

"Problem". We have not played in the top flight for what 30 years, lost a ground, been through all sorts and yet we still get bigger gates than Leeds United and lots of the Premier League clubs. Not a bad problem to have and the sort of problem that all but about 10/15 clubs in the country would die to have. We also do it without giving tickets away orr letting adults use kids tickets for evening games like some clubs I could cough palace mention.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"Problem". We have not played in the top flight for what 30 years, lost a ground, been through all sorts and yet we still get bigger gates than Leeds United and lots of the Premier League clubs. Not a bad problem to have and the sort of problem that all but about 10/15 clubs in the country would die to have. We also do it without giving tickets away orr letting adults use kids tickets for evening games like some clubs I could cough palace mention.

I was referring to the money earned by what amount to very average footballers. It is sky that is driving their income, and people who pay for sky enable them to do so. Stop paying for sky, income in football falls, wages fall, we get our game back.

Feb 14, 2010
I was referring to the money earned by what amount to very average footballers. It is sky that is driving their income, and people who pay for sky enable them to do so. Stop paying for sky, income in football falls, wages fall, we get our game back.

Mate, people like sky and they are allowed to. Players are allowed, like you and me, to earn as much they can. We also have our game back. You should have been around in the 1980's. 23,000 for a second tier game. Its not bad. Because we are Brighton, sure it could have been 30,000 as the 3rd div south days show, but its not bad.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Mate, people like sky and they are allowed to. Players are allowed, like you and me, to earn as much they can. We also have our game back. You should have been around in the 1980's. 23,000 for a second tier game. Its not bad. Because we are Brighton, sure it could have been 30,000 as the 3rd div south days show, but its not bad.

I'm not sure how I'm managing to make my point so badly. I was quoting someone talking about average players earning huge sums of money. And explaining that I feel it is sky money that fuels this. I was not referring to the attendance at all. I thinkour crowds are staggering. - Cardiff are averaging 14k this year and were in the Prem two years ago.

As it happens I was around in the 80s and barely missed a game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You should have been around in the 1980's. 23,000 for a second tier game. Its not bad. Because we are Brighton, sure it could have been 30,000 as the 3rd div south days show, but its not bad.

Obviously there were big one off crowds but Brighton's average attendance post Div 1 between 1984-1997 was never higher than 12K and after 1985 it was never more than 10K again (for obvious reasons) until 2011/12.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here