Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Wilshere

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Not for me Clive.

Watch our 2nd goal on MOTD tonight. The wayward pass was supposed to be to Jack Wheelchair who does the old trick of trying to mark one of our players so he can hide from the ball. Ambles back making no effort to make up for the error.

Passing sideways 60 yards from the goal he was superb at. He is the answer to the question. How come England get beat by Iceland?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Did well in midfield until it came to delivering a telling pass - he really created nothing

albionite

May 20, 2009
Thought he was Arsenal’s best player but luckily the rest of his teams mates were not on his wave length

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Thought Wilshere was on a different level today, waltzed around three or four of our players on numerous occasions. The Arsenal team though, were appalling, typified by Ozil’s attitude when they came back on to the pitch in the second half, ignoring the cones unlike Wilshere.

Whatever the joy we feel today, we need Wilshere at the WC as he is our best Midfielder, for this reason I hope Arsenal’s form picks up.

Dele Ali is good, but he’s more of a number 10 in my view.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I generally don't rate him but thought he was their best player in the second half, not that that's saying much.

Something I noticed recently is that he intentionally puts in reckless challenges and looks to get involved in scraps because it somehow saves him from the wrath of the Arsenal fans as it 'shows he wants it'. Pretty pathetic really.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know we're in a state of jubilation and rightly so but did anyone else think Jack Wilshere was class today? The only Arsenal player that left the pitch with any amount of pride.

:albion2:

Yes. Must be frustrating for him playing with a load of waxed and oiled show ponies who don't give a shit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I just thought he did the simple things well, without providing a killer pass or shot:shrug:

I really don’t think there was enough movement for him to play a killer pass so he inevitably went square. By far their best player though.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just thought I'd repeat this because there's a few thinking Wilshere was sheer class. To all those who have the opportunity to watch the game again, give it a whirly and see what he contributes. I wouldn't have him in our team as he wouldn't improve it.

Watched the match live and again at home on Sky just to confirm my view that Wilshere was utterly pointless. Completed almost every pass and rarely lost the ball. Did you see what he did with it? Almost every time, passed the ball 10 yards in any direction around him although usually sideways or backwards. Added no value whatsoever and I think you are deceived by the fact that he couldn't be knocked off the ball and had a low centre of gravity like Hazard. Almost everything went through him, yet he added nothing. For 90 minutes, he added absolutely nothing!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I generally don't rate him but thought he was their best player in the second half, not that that's saying much.

Something I noticed recently is that he intentionally puts in reckless challenges and looks to get involved in scraps because it somehow saves him from the wrath of the Arsenal fans as it 'shows he wants it'. Pretty pathetic really.

That's one way of looking at it! Think you'll find a lot of managers would suggest getting involved to break up the opponents a little if things aren't going your way. He is fantastic at holding the ball and going past players. One point in the second half, a slight feint and he left three Brighton players behind. I'd have him in our team any day of the weak. As others have said, a combination of lack of movement and hour defence didn't give him many forward options.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have you seen replays of our second goal? Redknapp and souness slated him for not doing more to get on the end of the pass, then he half heartedly jogs across. Didn’t show half the commitment of our boys

That was just a s..hit pass out from the back which went nowhere near him. Stop listening to Rednapp and Souness. They only came here to slate Arsenal today - Jesus we hardly got a mention till 1.20 on the recording.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sorry I am another one in the not impressed camp. All of his best work, was way too deep to really trouble us and whilst most things went through him, they proceeded at a pace that comfortably allowed us to get players back in position. When we played them at their place earlier in the season, we were terrified of being caught on the break and hence we never looked like having a go.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I thought he was terrible. Slow, got caught in possession. Not impressed

Couldn’t disagree more. The only Arsenal out there who made things happen, and was regularly hacked down by Murray and our midfield as a result.

If he plays like that every week, then he should be on the plane to Russia.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good on the ball, total liability off it. Basically like Xhaka and Ozil, same is it ever was for Wenger's Arsenal.

I know some criticise him for making the simple passes, but that is fine, most midfield's need someone doing that. It is just normally that player is an enforcer off the ball. Wilshere much like Tom Cleverley and a whole bunch of other next big thing English midfielders are not good enough passers (or skillful enough) to be number 10s, but not physical enough (or smart enough) to be the defensive midfielder.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Couldn’t disagree more. The only Arsenal out there who made things happen, and was regularly hacked down by Murray and our midfield as a result.

If he plays like that every week, then he should be on the plane to Russia.

So with his 10 yard passes, what exactly did he achieve?

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Medium.jpe

On the match gallery on club website there's a photo of his studs about to clatter into Knocky's legs.....

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I thought he was terrible. Slow, got caught in possession. Not impressed

He was the only player in their team, that would have improved our team today.

Interesting. I thought he was the one Arsenal player that didn't look slow today :laugh:

He was by far the best Arsenal player. Caused me incredible amounts of anxiety.

Football and opinions summed up in four posts.

For me he was the MOTM. Always wanted the ball, pacy, fantastically quick feet and several times slalomed his way out of a crowd of two or three players leaving those around me agog as to how he managed it.

Really wanted it and tried to drive them forward but remarkably the only one in black who appeared to give a flying f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had me worried on quite a few occasions in the second half. I thought he had a good game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here