Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I love Lanzhou noodles, absolutely love them!

My favorite Chinese food is Sichuan, and a trip to Chengdu or Chongqing is right on my radar. Thanks for reminding me!

Again, I have no knowledge of Brighton, but you might want to check out Sichuan Folk near Spitalfields or Chilli Cool near Euston if you're in either area.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I assume that's aimed at me. I just object to restaurants not including it in the cost of the food / drink to make their menus look artificially cheaper. With me they do it to their detriment as I don;t pay service changes. If it was rolled up into the cost of the food and drink I'd have no choice but to pay it.

I also don't like service charges being added retrospectively to itemed-prices on a menu. I don't like the fact that certain companies pocket service charges either. I've got no problem with staff being paid a decent wage for working, however.
It's in America and the UK that these have developed, and not on the European continent.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any recommendations for Shoreham? Despite living here for four years I haven’t eaten out in the town once. It’s a new year’s resolution to do so and I have a couple of occasions coming up so would like to tick off my first local venues. Not really fussed about a particular type of food, I’d just like to know where is good?

Have you eaten out yet in Shoreham - no review as yet

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
http://www.brightonsbestrestaurants.com/top-20

Best chef and best restaurant for Duncan Ray at Little Fish Market. Cooks everything himself off a 200 quid domestic stove.

Fully deserved, his cooking is phenomenal at times and the service in there is great. More fool you if you have never been, frankly.

That's a good list, and might be worth referring back to when some poster starts a thread asking where's good to eat in Brighton. I think it's got all the key restaurants on there, although I might quibble with the order (Silo and Fourth and Church would be far higher for me).
I have been to Little Fish Market, and didn't like it. Very small portions (which doesn't annoy me normally), average cooking, and expensive. To make matters worse, it had one of the worst 'wines' I've had in a restaurant -- a Canadian apple icewine -- which made me think they're far more interested in novelty than quality. All of that said, you have consistently raved about it, and I trust your palate given the other places you rate highly, and this list gives it another welcome boost, so I might need to give it another go and challenge my prejudices.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Zaman - Worthing

Not sure how long this curry house has been open but recommended by friends so a party of 6 and freezing night so not that full.

Starters Crab Mai-ibar - never seen this ever, a crab cutlet type thingy which was quite decent overs had Ostrich Tikka to Lamb Tikka - all well cooked.

Mains all sorts I had Lamb Tikka Masala others had Duck Shashlik to Jalfrezis - all as expected.

Quite a decent curry house in my view, but of a cock up with the bill an attempted overcharge where we had extra drinks from another table added but soon removed.

8/10 in my view worth a go.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I went to La Galleria on your recommendation a couple of weeks ago on my birthday. It was good. While Italian food doesn’t tend to be anything spectacular, it was tasty and everything seemed to be in good portions. I would go back. A solid 7.5/10.

I also went to Capri in Lancing a few days later, another Italian. I thought I’d give it a try on the basis that restaurants in uninspiring locations with good reviews must be decent as they can’t rely on a prime position to pull in the punters. I went on a night where the pizza oven was out of action which ruled out half the menu - quite a drawback for an Italian I’d say. So I had gnocchi instead and it was fantastic. It’s hard to judge it on that visit so I’d say 7/10 for now but with potential to be higher if the whole menu was on offer.

I find the food in La Galleria to be just tipping below average and the service absolutely appalling verging on rude. Asked for a bread basket and got served a whole, uncut ,cold baguette on a cold side plate. When we asked what it was meant to be he came to our table with a bread knife and cut it up in front of us and said "it is now sliced".
We stood up there and then and walked out.
La Galleria is generally regarded as something of a shit hole by Shorehamites.
Try The slate. Mixed reviews and the owner is an utter **** but when they get it right it's great. Service is amazing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I missed the news Prezzo is now closing 94 restaurants and today several chains have collectively written to the Chancellor stating business rates going up and enforcing a higher minimum wage with put them out of business.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Dining Room (Worthing) - http://www.the-dining-room.co.uk/

I was a long-time fan of Crescent Road Cafe, which used to be in these premises, but I had been slightly put off visiting The Dining Room by their initial "Private Dining Club" type concept, but with that idea being withdrawn and having heard positive things, I decided to give it a go.

We went for their 7 course tasting menu @ £48 per head, which I complemented with the wine flight +£18 whilst Mrs B ploughed through a bottle of fizz.

I had the veggie version because I am, errr, veggie whilst across the table the fish options were also added.

We had a fantastic meal from beginning to end. The standouts for me were the first course - a Leek & Brighton Blue Tartlet and, although I've not got much of a sweet tooth, the pre-dessert with flavours of miso-caramel and banana, was exceptional. I finished with cheese which was a decent-sized portion and both my dining partner and the couple of the table adjoining ours were full of praise for the main dessert of a Pear frangipane tart, almond praline and a chocolate creme Angalise.

The success of the puds wasn't a massive surprise with the proprietors being behind the Vice Puddings venture also.

At the end of the meal we got talking to the Jon and Ro, the owners, and they're wonderful people working hard bringing something different to Worthing, and they deserve to succeed. I was aware of Jon from his efforts to get the Sundowners and Sunuppers events going through the Summer months in previous years - something else that deserves support. Worthing is never going to be Brighton, clearly, but those trying to drag up the culinary level of the town need people to use them or lose them.

I know they do pie nights and some sort of quiz night (where you get to eat the questions) - both of which I shall be looking to try out.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

I was a long-time fan of Crescent Road Cafe, which used to be in these premises, but I had been slightly put off visiting The Dining Room by their initial "Private Dining Club" type concept, but with that idea being withdrawn and having heard positive things, I decided to give it a go.

We went for their 7 course tasting menu @ £48 per head, which I complemented with the wine flight +£18 whilst Mrs B ploughed through a bottle of fizz.

I had the veggie version because I am, errr, veggie whilst across the table the fish options were also added.

We haddock a fantastic meal from beginning to end. The standouts for me were the first course - a Leek & Brighton Blue Tartlet and, although I've not got much of a sweet tooth, the pre-dessert with flavours of miso-caramel and banana, was exceptional. I finished with cheese which was a decent-sized portion and both my dining partner and the couple of the table adjoining ours were full of praise for the main dessert of a Pear frangipane tart, almond praline and a chocolate creme Angalise.

The success of the puds wasn't a massive surprise with the proprietors being behind the Vice Puddings venture also.

At the end of the meal we got talking to the Jon and Ro, the owners, and they're wonderful people working hard bringing something different to Worthing, and they deserve to succeed. I was aware of Jon from his efforts to get the Sundowners and Sunuppers events going through the Summer months in previous years - something else that deserves support. Worthing is never going to be Brighton, clearly, but those trying to drag up the culinary level of the town need people to use them or lose them.

I know they do pie nights and some sort of quiz night (where you get to eat the questions) - both of which I shall be looking to try out.

Interesting, as we went there last year (with another Albion supporting Findon Valley resident who you know Bozza - think Everton ticket last week😉) and had a dreadful meal which was so disappointing having been long standing fans and customers of Crescent Road. This was just a month or so after they opened so maybe they have upped their game? We went there with high hopes after seeing the tasting menu and wine flight which nowhere else in Worthing offers as yet but it was really poorly executed throughout

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting, as we went there last year (with another Albion supporting Findon Valley resident who you know Bozza - think Everton ticket last week��) and had a dreadful meal which was so disappointing having been long standing fans and customers of Crescent Road. This was just a month or so after they opened so maybe they have upped their game? We went there with high hopes after seeing the tasting menu and wine flight which nowhere else in Worthing offers as yet but it was really poorly executed throughout

Was that shortly after they opened? Maybe going through a teething spell, possibly.

I'd suggest giving it another go if you get the chance. Another friend who was a long-term fan of Crescent Road Cafe also went for the first time recently and really enjoyed it, which was why we took the plunge finally.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Was that shortly after they opened? Maybe going through a teething spell, possibly.

I'd suggest giving it another go if you get the chance. Another friend who was a long-term fan of Crescent Road Cafe also went for the first time recently and really enjoyed it, which was why we took the plunge finally.

It was last May. Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt and try again but you get put off after a bad one. Having been regulars of Crescent Road and Sylvan Oak we hd high hopes for another decent restaurant in Worthing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

We had a fantastic meal from beginning to end. The standouts for me were the first course - a Leek & Brighton Blue Tartlet and, although I've not got much of a sweet tooth, the pre-dessert with flavours of miso-caramel and banana, was exceptional. I finished with cheese which was a decent-sized portion and both my dining partner and the couple of the table adjoining ours were full of praise for the main dessert of a Pear frangipane tart, almond praline and a chocolate creme Angalise.

I need to try this out really. Their concept / marketing seems a bit confused and it has kind of put me off, as well as some of the offers they out are a bit odd.

It was last May. Maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt and try again but you get put off after a bad one. Having been regulars of Crescent Road and Sylvan Oak we hd high hopes for another decent restaurant in Worthing

Is Sylvan OAk still open? I've got a voucher for it I've had for ages but keep forgetting to go there

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I need to try this out really. Their concept / marketing seems a bit confused and it has kind of put me off, as well as some of the offers they out are a bit odd.

Is Sylvan OAk still open? I've got a voucher for it I've had for ages but keep forgetting to go there

Sylvan Oak going strong and extending soon I gather? Never been disappointed there

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sylvan Oak going strong and extending soon I gather? Never been disappointed there

Funnily enough, I drove past there last night and thought I need to check out the menu. In my mind, every time I've seen it, I had it filed under the category of "food for old people".

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Funnily enough, I drove past there last night and thought I need to check out the menu. In my mind, every time I've seen it, I had it filed under the category of "food for old people".

It’s nothing like that at all mate - you should definitely try it especially as it’s on your doorstep👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here