Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Starts steep, then less steep, then steep, then steeper, then starts to flatten before the end.

The bit after the middle before the end flat stretch is steepest, best not to go off too hard and give it some on that section for a couple of minutes.

Nice one, just the info I was after. Only needed to know whether I'll need to get out of the big ring or not :wink:

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice one, just the info I was after. Only needed to know whether I'll need to get out of the big ring or not :wink:

What makes the wall really tough (he meant to write easy) is how the gradient starts from the very bottom, and only really gets harder as you rise up – reaching a peak of 16 per cent at the 1km mark. After this it eases slightly, finishing off with a four per cent gradient in the last 250m. The climb is dead-straight, too, which gives the sense that it will never end.

We have curbs steeper than that.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/sportive/ten-best-cycling-climbs-sussex.html#CUtc4q5SESyrE6ZL.97

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm prepared to wager 16p you get to the top and think:-

'well if that's a 'top 100' climb what would this lot make Col de Margate?' Or any other climb local to you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm prepared to wager 16p you get to the top and think:-

'well if that's a 'top 100' climb what would this lot make Col de Margate?' Or any other climb local to you.

"Col de Margate". Very good! You've got the Kent bone between your teeth again I see and now refuse to put it down :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Col de Margate". Very good! You've got the Kent bone between your teeth again I see and now refuse to put it down :lol:
I can instantly think of over half a dozen climbs better, harder, more interesting, it really doesn't matter how you define a climb, in Greater Sussex that knock the polka dots off of Kidds.
With more thought, and a quick check of a map, I could get that into double figures.

I'll hazard a guess the same could be of Lesser Sussex too.

For those of us over here, Kidds is just a less busy Duncton...

...only easier!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'll be climbing Kidds Hill on Saturday, God willing.

Any tips anyone?

Its lovely up that way, especially up top. Its one of those wavy surfaces to slow cars going down. Its nearly straight, so you don't see the top for a while. Are you going there from home?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Its lovely up that way, especially up top. Its one of those wavy surfaces to slow cars going down. Its nearly straight, so you don't see the top for a while. Are you going there from home?

Sounds good, thanks.

Yes, going there from home as part of a century ride. Looking forward to the ride, but in particular, trying Kidds Hill for the first time.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sounds good, thanks.

Yes, going there from home as part of a century ride. Looking forward to the ride, but in particular, trying Kidds Hill for the first time.

Nice one fella, looks like its gonna be dry for you. I did it in July 14. Where did that go? Is Mardens Hill on your way back? Ignore 'slack bladder' by the way, you will have a top day out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice one fella, looks like its gonna be dry for you. I did it in July 14. Where did that go? Is Mardens Hill on your way back? Ignore 'slack bladder' by the way, you will have a top day out.
Cheers Moto.

I've not heard of Mardens Hill, so not sure if it's on the route or not. Going with a few other club riders and don't know the route all that well to be honest. I only know it's going to be hilly for the most part and that Kidds Hill is one of the hills we'll be doing. I'll keep an eye out for Mardens Hill and report back.

Btw, I wouldn't fancy doing this sort of ride in July, or any other Summer month come to that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Kidds Hill is only a problem psychologically. If you look up it looks like a long way to the top. It's dead straight and doesn't have the mini targets that you get from hairpins.

You WILL get in your lowest gear, and grind up what is a dull climb, but the views at the top are lovely.

You're doing your first century this weekend? In January? In this weather?

You are certifiable. Kudos.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kidds Hill is only a problem psychologically. If you look up it looks like a long way to the top. It's dead straight and doesn't have the mini targets that you get from hairpins.

You WILL get in your lowest gear, and grind up what is a dull climb, but the views at the top are lovely.

You're doing your first century this weekend? In January? In this weather?

You are certifiable. Kudos.

Thanks Pogue, your tips on Ditchling Beacon helped no end, so your picture of Kidds Hill won't be forgotten either.

Not my first century, no. Got a few under my belt now, the latest being a couple of weeks ago. That one took us up the Kent coast to Sandwich, Whitstable and dropping down to Wye for a train home, as planned. My mate got a puncture in the dark and it was pissing down too, not planned. We had to take it in turns to fix the puncture as neither of us could feel our fingers :( Must admit, I was glad to be home from that one, but I'd still take that over riding in hot weather.

Anyway, you're the one who's rode Paris-Roubaix, so it's you that's certifiable, not me :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks Pogue, your tips on Ditchling Beacon helped no end, so your picture of Kidds Hill won't be forgotten either.

Not my first century, no. Got a few under my belt now, the latest being a couple of weeks ago. That one took us up the Kent coast to Sandwich, Whitstable and dropping down to Wye for a train home, as planned. My mate got a puncture in the dark and it was pissing down too, not planned. We had to take it in turns to fix the puncture as neither of us could feel our fingers :( Must admit, I was glad to be home from that one, but I'd still take that over riding in hot weather.

Anyway, you're the one who's rode Paris-Roubaix, so it's you that's certifiable, not me :lol:
Kept it local then :lolol:

A January century is not to be sniffed at, chapeau.
I do hope we'll get a match report over the weekend.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kept it local then :lolol:

A January century is not to be sniffed at, chapeau.
I do hope we'll get a match report over the weekend.

Yes, but note, not the col du Margate, that's a step too far into Kent :)

I will try to provide a match report of this Saturday's trip, yes. It better be a good trip, as I'm sacrificing listening to our game because of it. When I get back I hope to be greeted with the news of 3 valuable points on the road (just ask Barnes) :wink:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Anybody else doing the Tour de Yorkshire sportive? Medium or Long route??

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anybody else doing the Tour de Yorkshire sportive? Medium or Long route??
Prices ranging from £45 to £130 I see :eek:
Can't see many Yorkshire folk doing it then :lol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Prices ranging from £45 to £130 I see :eek:
Can't see many Yorkshire folk doing it then [emoji38]
I've won a place and a Jersey courtesy of Yorkshire Bank. It does seem a little steep (hilly too!)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Get back on strava you swine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DUfguIcXUAAUNTf.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports