Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I will be missing the first two weeks of it as I am on hols and often without access to any media so will enjoy the second half.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you have it permanently out there on a wall or similar exposed to the elements or is it wheeled out like the gimp in Pulp Fiction for special occasions?

I'm very much gimped up.

My garden is west-facing so I get the sun all afternoon (pretty much from about 12 onwards), so I have the TV screen facing the house, either on a little fold-up table, or on the main patio table if I'm on my jack. Easy enough to move around according to requirements.

I also have an enormous parasol that shelters the table and surrounding chairs. So as long as its warm and not blowing up a hooly, even a bit of rain won't drive me indoors.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Will watch the England games with hope, but that will be about it. I always lose interest in tournament football once England are out.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Only if Putin really keeps his hands off the competition. He really is liable of doing anything including more bribes to FIFA officials.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lovely summary, agree with every word.

The one thing I miss though, is the slightly CRACKLY commentary, not heard since Mexico 86. That gave the whole spectacle a wondrous, magical hue that really brought home the fact that we were watching something hugely important, live, on the other side of the planet. In this digital age of course the sound and picture is always perfect. But there was something very special about a crackly commentary that takes me right back to being an excited kid being allowed to stay up late to watch the game. LOVED 86.

And the big spider shadow on the pitch

fifa-world-cup-mexico-1986-2261986-estadio-azteca-mexico-df-quarter-final-argentina-v-england-jorge-burruchaga-argentina-v-peter-beardsley-england-under-the-shadow-of-the-stadium-loudspeakers-MB2A6W.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't shake the feeling I'm going to be more interested in hopefully Colombia and (wow this is painful to write) Australia, than I am England.
I do genuinely hope my patriotic gene kicks in soon, if it doesn't then no I'll give it a swerve unless this happens:-

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Yes. Love WC's.

My favourite was Italia90, which got off to a dramatic start with Cameroon beating Argentina. 1998 wasn't bad either, including the Bergkamp goal that dumped .... Argentina.

1990 best world cup. Being 10 that felt like the most magical time football has ever been for me.

I remember rushing home from the park to watch the opening game. I remember more about this world cup than all the other put together.

Although the world cup has lost it's shine for me for several reasons, corruption, England being crap, ungrateful primadonna footballers however i shall still be looking forward to this one... it's football after all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know this because I put my giant wall chart up this morning. Can’t wait for the World Cup.

Oooh. Been waiting for a WALL CHART. Where from please??

Yep - I love everything about the World Cup: The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Dutch supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play; the fact that it is, for players, the biggest accolade you can win in the game; the dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling balls-to-the-wall kamikaze football all the way to the quarters; the cosiness of the BBC studio; Lineker in chinos; the tears; the Penalty shootouts; the inevitable Golazos; the England hubris (and the St Georges flags); the sheer colour of it all.

Sadly missing :down:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yes but not from an England perspective. Trying to shoe horn games into busy work life schedule will be tough but suspect I’ll find a way to watch the evening and weekend games.

Love having two surrogate countries to cheer on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I am, but kick off times are a right pain - I don't expect I'll see many games during the week.

I might take a couple of days off - will have to pick days with 3 games to watch.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Probably the least excited I have ever been about a WC. Don't doubt I will get into it when it's on, just don't follow football half as much as I used to, Albion aside.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I enjoy the group stages then my interest wains as it becomes apparent Germany will be meeting probably Brazil in the final , England will probably scrape through their group then meet Iceland and somehow manage to lose again , the media will probably be concentrating on the Poland v Russia off pitch battles , and blaming it on England supporters who really can't even stand up after 2 hours abroad let alone organise a fight , Belgiums squad looks unreal but they are are poor tournament team and i expect them to falter at the quarter finals , i shall be following with interest the Icelandic and Danish teams as we like to do business in colder countries during warm weather :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Probably the least excited I have ever been about a WC. Don't doubt I will get into it when it's on, just don't follow football half as much as I used to, Albion aside.

Having said that, some of the great posts on here have WHETTED my appetite.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm looking forward to it, will watch the England games more in hope than expectation of anything.

The early rounds are a bit poor (Portugal Vs Spain apart), so I'll keep my powder dry with the missus until the knockouts and the decent games start.

I reckon England will get out of the group, just about beat Izquierdo's Columbia in the next round and lose to Germany in the quarters in a plucky, but ultimately fruitless display.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm going to be on holiday for the first week; I am on antibiotics and have to stay out of the sun so might have to watch the games in a bar. They also say "avoid alcohol" but Greek beer is just rehydration juice so should be ok

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here