Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton - what to do?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ryan being away is why he might get as many as a dozen games.
Let him have another season of 40+ games at a good level and as long as he does well he can come back to genuinely compete for the top spot.

I'm sure that's what the club will do.
But I'd rather he got a couple-month taste of Prem football.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Can see Krul getting another year and Walton going back to Wigan for another season loan.
Sanchez probably needs a loan out for experience as well, leaving Collings or Vose 1st choice for U23’s if their contracts are renewed?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that there is more chance of Maenpaaa getting another contract than Krul as he has made it known he wants 1st team football so would expect a Championship side to come in for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think that there is more chance of Maenpaaa getting another contract than Krul as he has made it known he wants 1st team football so would expect a Championship side to come in for him.

See the comments about Walton getting quite a few games if he were to stay here - cup games, and PL games whilst Maty is away - Krul could do that, and unlike Maenpaa, he is an HGP. Very relevant!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He has publicly stated he would like to stay in Brighton and challenge Ryan for the number one spot, unless the manager suggests otherwise.

He has also publicly stated (last Friday) that he wants to keep playing games, week in week out - Christian values just perfect for Wigan Athletic’s title push

“Yeah obviously another loan here would be nice,” added the 
22-year-old.

“Obviously I’ve got to see what happens on the summer back down at Brighton.

“But it’s something that would definitely be high on my list, to get back up here to Wigan.

“It will obviously depend a bit on whether Brighton manage to stay in the Premier League.

But on a personal note, I want to keep on playing games, week in week out.

“That’s what I’m doing here, and I’ve been very happy here from day one.

“It’s a great club to be at, the lads have been brilliant.

“And I like to think I’ve repaid them with my performances.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He has publicly stated he would like to stay in Brighton and challenge Ryan for the number one spot, unless the manager suggests otherwise.

Maybe he has, but that won't be yet awhile. He is at least two seasons off that in my view. Still a young keeper, and continuing to make good progress, but it would be wrong to promote him too early. Another couple of loan seasons will do him good.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe he has, but that won't be yet awhile. He is at least two seasons off that in my view. Still a young keeper, and continuing to make good progress, but it would be wrong to promote him too early. Another couple of loan seasons will do him good.

Or put ideas in his head he wants away from the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Why will Ryan be away for as many as a dozen games next season?

Asia Cup, he will be gone for a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This kid looks the absolute business for Wigan.

If we don’t play him next season, can we keep him? If I was him I wouldn’t want to benchwarm , even in the prem.

What I fear is that we will sell him for say, £1m and the following summer he goes for 10.

I'd recall him and make him the number 2.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I'd recall him and make him the number 2.

He wants and needs games though, think we should loan him to a champ team until Jan and then if he is still playing this well give him the shirt when Ryan goes away and let him fight to keep it.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
He wants and needs games though, think we should loan him to a champ team until Jan and then if he is still playing this well give him the shirt when Ryan goes away and let him fight to keep it.

Thought loans had to be season long now?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

He's been going out on loan since 2015. He is either going to cut the mustard or he isn't. Get him in as number 2 and give Ryan some meaningful competition for the role of number 1.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Asia Cup, he will be gone for a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That and any games in the 2 cups.
thats the problem with retaining him as No2 to Ryan. He will get very little actual playing time and his game, as a young goalkeeper, may not progress.
there are risks whatever choice is made but if Krul is willing to stay on that basis I would send Waltz back to Wigan for one more season in the hope/gamble that he comes back as a genuine contender for the number one spot.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He's been going out on loan since 2015. He is either going to cut the mustard or he isn't. Get him in as number 2 and give Ryan some meaningful competition for the role of number 1.

He’s effectively being offered the role of a #1 keeper, after a stunning 17/18 , in what might well be leading champ side and he’s only 22.
He’s cutting the mustard just fine I’d say.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here