Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Maybe it doesn't, but that's what you say Harry Anslinger said:
Seems pretty anti-social to me.
Bloody hell Trig. Your arguments (although pedantic to the nth) are usually well thought out and sensible. This is pure nonsense.

You asked why cannabis was made illegal. The example given was because a bloke who was worried about his job (war on alcohol bring over) made up a load of insane crap in order to keep him and his mates in work. Insane crap which completely contradicted his views on cannabis when alcohol was still illegal.

You've then run with the insane crap instead of realising that that was the point. I.e. there was zero reason for cannabis being made illegal in the first place apart from a load of totally made up nonsense.

I expect better. [emoji6]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You asked why cannabis was made illegal. The example given was because a bloke who was worried about his job (war on alcohol bring over) made up a load of insane crap in order to keep him and his mates in work. Insane crap which completely contradicted his views on cannabis when alcohol was still illegal.

You've then run with the insane crap instead of realising that that was the point. I.e. there was zero reason for cannabis being made illegal in the first place apart from a load of totally made up nonsense.
I completely disagree. Btnbelle posted that in their opinion, it is bad for your health and anti-social. daveinprague said those weren't the reasons it was made illegal. Given the later quotes of Mr Anslinger, that's clearly not true. It doesn't matter that he was making up crap, people believed it, and made the drug illegal. It was made illegal because people thought it was bad for you and anti social.

And the truth is, it is bad for you, and can be anti social.

That wasn't the original point (or at least, if it was, dave should have explained why, because at that point we were miles away from the strange quotes of Mr Anslinger.

And just because he made up stuff, doesn't mean it's not at all bad for you. It is.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
......Oh wow heavy heavy heavy owwow...........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTmEn5pWzPU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxgfTMLtc0

Each to their own. I have to tolerate so much in the spirit of “PC”. Don’t agree with it all - we seem to be expected to accept massive diversification these days for the sake of equality so I see no issue with people respectively having a toke. Just be aware of others as no everyone wants a whiff or a lungful. Not in front of kids. So as long as you have some consideration for others - que ce ra.

Liberate the hippy I say so it’s a yes to the uk following suite from me.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
So if someone was addicted to heroin, how would you have them get their fix?[/QUOTE]

I do believe this problem has been resolved by the introduction of "free syringes available from the N.H.S. for drug users" but obviously as the pedant you claim to be you already were aware of this?

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Friend works in a local jobs office and sent me this from her work. I hate the smell of pot and I don't partake in it as it does nothing for me, but I love the new jobs being created.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 12.23.42 PM.png

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I completely disagree. Btnbelle posted that in their opinion, it is bad for your health and anti-social. daveinprague said those weren't the reasons it was made illegal. Given the later quotes of Mr Anslinger, that's clearly not true. It doesn't matter that he was making up crap, people believed it, and made the drug illegal. It was made illegal because people thought it was bad for you and anti social.

That wasn't the original point (or at least, if it was, dave should have explained why, because at that point we were miles away from the strange quotes of Mr Anslinger.

And just because he made up stuff, doesn't mean it's not at all bad for you. It is.

I honestly think you've lost the plot on this mate. You're talking round in concentric circles and it makes zero sense.

Perhaps have a reread of the thread and what people have actually written, in order.

You're getting hung up on minutia and not appreciating the real points that have been made. As I said previously, it's quite unlike you (well not the minutia but the missing the big picture).

You're still banging on about Anslinger. He was brought into the conversation as a piece of evidence to contradict the illusion that cannabis is harmful. He was talking shite to preserve his position.

So yes, perhaps the illegality was caused by the completely incorrect assumption that cannabis turned people into violent rapists, made women want to have sex with "negroes" and so forth because of lies and propaganda. The myth that it created anti social behaviour.

How the holy **** does that have anything to do with our resident puritan saying that cannabis is illegal and should be because she doesn't like the smell and thinks it's bad?

Surely the evidence that it was made illegal for totally spurious reasons is the best evidence to counteract such arguments, rather than the opposite as you've somehow decided.

I get that you're a dog with a bone on any discussion but (imo obviously) you're making yourself look silly with this bit of unnecessary pedantry.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This in a nutshell is why I cannot stand pot-smokers:

I overheard while walking past house boat last year, one dreadlocked white boy trustafarian talking to his equally drongo neighbour

"I'm actually using coconut water in my bong these days".

Silly arse.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This in a nutshell is why I cannot stand pot-smokers:

I overheard while walking past house boat last year, one dreadlocked white boy trustafarian talking to his equally drongo neighbour

"I'm actually using coconut water in my bong these days".

Silly arse.

What a couple of goons.

I hope you told them to use non-chlorinated water for the bong?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I also note that you completely ignored my post in reply to you (#216) earlier. This is also unlike you. Pedantry needs to be consistent FFS even if you've waded into deep water. [emoji6]

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I also note that you completely ignored my post in reply to you (#216) earlier. [emoji6]

There are a couple of posters in the thread that have failed to acknowledge that they are incorrect after having their argument dismantled and properly challenged.
Personally, I'd just hold my hands up; 'alright, fair enough'. Some people though, have sensitive egos.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There are a couple of posters in the thread that have failed to acknowledge that they are incorrect after having their argument dismantled and properly challenged.
Personally, I'd just hold my hands up; 'alright, fair enough'. Some people though, have sensitive egos.
Which is why I'm surprised at Trig who is normally meticulous in such situations. And, on a rare occasion, admits when he's wrong. Other people I expect it from.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's ironic is that I will counter with; cannabis is good for you
That's not a counter. Some things can have both good and bad affects. Cannabis can be harmful. btnbelle pointed out that it's bad for health for many people, dave argued that that's not the reason it's illegal, and I disagree. The fact that it can also be good for a minority of people doesn't change that.

cannabis is good for you, and be undoubtedly correct, whereas your statement is incorrect.
Nonsense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I also note that you completely ignored my post in reply to you (#216) earlier.
I didn't ignore it, I missed it, or skimmed over it, as I was mostly responding to dave's posts.

If more people take it throughout their lives, I think that will have a negative effect on their long term health, and therefore have an effect on the NHS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is why I'm surprised at Trig who is normally meticulous in such situations.
Since StonedhamPark referred to people having their argument dismantled, I guess he wasn't referring to me.

And, on a rare occasion, admits when he's wrong. Other people I expect it from.
When I'm wrong, I always say so. You're quite right though, that is rare.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here