Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing at the AMEX

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just a question, if and it’s a big if, safe standing was introduced at The Amex would there then be a more robust policing of those standing, as those fans clearly have no “right” to stand as they won’t have bought a standing ticket. Just a thought...

Not sure. For a start, away fans won't suddenly sit down.

Just a guess, but I'd suggest it will be more self-policed.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not sure. For a start, away fans won't suddenly sit down.

Just a guess, but I'd suggest it will be more self-policed.

As far as I am aware none of the clubs that have installed or considered safe standing have done so for away fans. As for self-policing, isn’t that the case at the moment and the cause of many arguments.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I know there will be reasoned arguments on both sides but personally I think this would be a real step backwards given all that has gone before. You have to stand at all away games, so the only thing I'd change is to ban the tw*** at the front who won't sit down!!!

I am always astounded there are people like sonutterly stupid and uninformed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There is, but it's still a nonsense isn't it? I'd much rather be able to nurse a pint throughout the second half rather than down it in 3 minutes (after getting served).

The drinking argument is nonsense. If alcohol is an issue why is any sold at the ground? Why can I take a hot/very hot coffee in but not a cold alcoholic drink. Mk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For any safe standing to be brought in, particularly in away sections of grounds there needs to a complete mind change. Currently many fans are put off going to away games because they know that probably someone in the front row will stand, meaning that everyone behind them then has to stand. Those that have difficulty standing for 45 minutes at a time, can't be bothered to go, and they lose out due to the selfish attitude of some.
IF safe standing is brought in, then in away sections it needs to be towards the rear of the section, and anyone not in the safe standing section must sit as they do currently at home games.This way those that currently shun going away will be able to go to away games in the knowledge that they will be able to sit and actually see the match.

For the Amex, I just don't see it happening as I still believe that it is a vocal few that are demanding change, and while others will say they don't object, they then go on to say they wouldn't move to such a section.

As someone else has already said, I rather like my Amex seat, its certainly in a different league to the wooden seat at Turf Moor.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
We haven’t been told to sit once away this year. It just seems accepted now that people are going to stand so may as well do it safely. With a few seats at the front for those that want it.

Voice of reason. Good work but are you sure you’re in the right forum?;p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ports-grounds-safety-autority-report-positive

Interesting.

Safe standing across English football has come a step closer after a report found it had “a positive impact on spectator safety”.

The findings, made by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) in an interim report, have been welcomed by government. They could herald the return of standing to the top two divisions in England for the first time since the implementation of the Taylor report, should they be borne out in the final version of the report due this summer.

The SGSA has this season studied behaviour at Celtic Park and Borussia Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion as well as at English clubs Shrewsbury Town, Wycombe Wanderers and Oxford United which are trialling the technology. Their key observation in the interim report is that safe standing “has had a positive impact on spectator safety, particularly in mitigating the risk of crowd collapse.”

The SGSA also observe that safe standing has not caused tension between supporters or between supporters and stewards. “There has been very little conflict as a result of standing,” it said.

While the findings are still provisional, they have met with approval from the government Every political party endorsed the idea of safe standing in their manifestos during last year’s election and the sports minister Nigel Adams reinforced that view in light of the report.

The SGSA’s research will now continue until the end of the season. Should the final report prove positive, it could pave the way to the return of safe standing by the 2021-22 season.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ports-grounds-safety-autority-report-positive

Interesting.

Safe standing across English football has come a step closer after a report found it had “a positive impact on spectator safety”.

The findings, made by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) in an interim report, have been welcomed by government. They could herald the return of standing to the top two divisions in England for the first time since the implementation of the Taylor report, should they be borne out in the final version of the report due this summer.

The SGSA has this season studied behaviour at Celtic Park and Borussia Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion as well as at English clubs Shrewsbury Town, Wycombe Wanderers and Oxford United which are trialling the technology. Their key observation in the interim report is that safe standing “has had a positive impact on spectator safety, particularly in mitigating the risk of crowd collapse.”

The SGSA also observe that safe standing has not caused tension between supporters or between supporters and stewards. “There has been very little conflict as a result of standing,” it said.

While the findings are still provisional, they have met with approval from the government Every political party endorsed the idea of safe standing in their manifestos during last year’s election and the sports minister Nigel Adams reinforced that view in light of the report.

The SGSA’s research will now continue until the end of the season. Should the final report prove positive, it could pave the way to the return of safe standing by the 2021-22 season.

Just seen that on the beeb to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51413557

Im all for it.......... should help to get some extra purchase to luzz your meat pie at Mike Dean :dunce:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For any safe standing to be brought in, particularly in away sections of grounds there needs to a complete mind change. Currently many fans are put off going to away games because they know that probably someone in the front row will stand, meaning that everyone behind them then has to stand. Those that have difficulty standing for 45 minutes at a time, can't be bothered to go, and they lose out due to the selfish attitude of some.
IF safe standing is brought in, then in away sections it needs to be towards the rear of the section, and anyone not in the safe standing section must sit as they do currently at home games.This way those that currently shun going away will be able to go to away games in the knowledge that they will be able to sit and actually see the match.

For the Amex, I just don't see it happening as I still believe that it is a vocal few that are demanding change, and while others will say they don't object, they then go on to say they wouldn't move to such a section.

As someone else has already said, I rather like my Amex seat, its certainly in a different league to the wooden seat at Turf Moor.
Or you could have both. Just as was always the case before all seated.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-rail-seats-in-preparation-for-safe-standing

Manchester City have announced they will install more than 5,500 rail seats at the Etihad Stadium. The seats, which are designed to lock into a folded position and give fans space to stand, are due to be installed over the summer in the lower tier of the South Stand, the club said.

Standing at grounds in England’s top two tiers is banned but clubs have prepared for what they will hope will be the go-ahead for safe standing, with Wolverhampton Wanderers installing rail seats at Molineux. Manchester United, who have experienced long-running problems with fans refusing to sit down, are in the process of erecting 1,500 at Old Trafford, and Tottenham have seats designed to be converted for standing.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I've heard that Barber is going to issue a statement saying that the club will introduce safe-standing in the North Stand if EVERYONE promises to only sing one song at a time...

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I've heard that Barber is going to issue a statement saying that the club will introduce safe-standing in the North Stand if EVERYONE promises to only sing one song at a time...

I'm all for this. Really should be taken a step further and be the entry requirement into the ground.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Another step in the right direction. Personally and probably selfishly I’d be delighted if the North Stand was made all standing, maybe keep a few rows at the front for seating.

The bizarre thing is (and perhaps this thread has already covered this), when the club first engaged the fans on this, there was - at best - lukewarm ambivalence. Possibly on the back of the thought that 'well, it will never happen, so what's the point?'.

Given that the discussion has moved on, and some clubs are effectively has constructions within their grounds which would lead to mass law-breaking, maybe the club can ask the fans again. Or the fans approach the club about it.

The return of fans from lockdown would be the ideal time to resurrect the discussion.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

For an extra £10, you can sing two songs at once up to a maximum of 6 times a year, as long as it is one of your friends and family singing it and they have bought a £25 pass. And are wearing a collared shirt. With no bottle tops.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
The bizarre thing is (and perhaps this thread has already covered this), when the club first engaged the fans on this, there was - at best - lukewarm ambivalence. Possibly on the back of the thought that 'well, it will never happen, so what's the point?'.

Given that the discussion has moved on, and some clubs are effectively has constructions within their grounds which would lead to mass law-breaking, maybe the club can ask the fans again. Or the fans approach the club about it.

The return of fans from lockdown would be the ideal time to resurrect the discussion.

I remember going to the initial meeting, Q&A session at The Amex, it was advertised on line etc and literally about 25-30 people turned up. Luke warm was an under statement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

..and have triple thickness masks

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is that the Man City announcement of railed seats at the very rich Middle Eastern funded stadium?

SAC

May 21, 2014
It would be great to have and a small stand like the North would be prefect for it. The trouble is that some (a majority?) are in the North Stand due to economics or for the view, not to stand and create an atmosphere. Having half and half (top standing /bottom sitting) could work but that would mean moving people around and that also causes problems. This plus the club not being able to make more money from it means that it is never likely to happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It would be great to have and a small stand like the North would be prefect for it. The trouble is that some (a majority?) are in the North Stand due to economics or for the view, not to stand and create an atmosphere. Having half and half (top standing /bottom sitting) could work but that would mean moving people around and that also causes problems. This plus the club not being able to make more money from it means that it is never likely to happen.

For a miniscule stand like the NS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here