Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Will it snow, or will it not snow?
Is US right, or is Papa right?

This thread is screaming out for a vCash comp... maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can introduce a gfsCash comp next season??

Will it snow, or will it not snow?
Is US right, or is Papa right?

This thread is screaming out for a vCash comp... maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can introduce a gfsCash comp next season??

Bearing in mind I'm babysitting someone on Friday, you better hope it doesn't.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Saw this on theweatheroutlook:

"The picture is similar on Thursday but there is a chance of a disturbance bringing a more organised band of sleet and snow showers to the south and this could give a covering in places. Definitely something to look out for if you live in the south and haven’t seen snow yet this winter."

I'm slightly more hopeful now :)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this thread is now very frustrating....you get your hopes up then they get hammered and then they go up and then they get hammered. At least i got my snow fix 2 weekends ago in Avoriaz. Arrived on Friday with very little snow, it was snowing at the time and did not stop until I went to sleep Saturday night about midnight, about 50cm-60cms of snow fell and it was bloody marvellous

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
this thread is now very frustrating....you get your hopes up then they get hammered and then they go up and then they get hammered. At least i got my snow fix 2 weekends ago in Avoriaz. Arrived on Friday with very little snow, it was snowing at the time and did not stop until I went to sleep Saturday night about midnight, about 50cm-60cms of snow fell and it was bloody marvellous

It's the UK and specifically the Sussex weather that's frustrating. At least we get the best summer weather I suppose.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thursday night

Screenshot_2015-01-28-08-08-47.png

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

Bit like supporting the Albion

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So nothing tonight then,what's the latest read outs now saying percentage wise

Much the same - still an initial 95% as the front clears, then another 90%, 80% period mid Thursday.

This is for roughly Worthing http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=290.94000244140625&y=179.0800018310547

you can check out any UK location by clicking the map here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php

On Twitter, I asked Ian Fregusson, who works for the Met Office his view on the occluded front Thursday night, and he thinks at the moment, it's likely to bring sleet or rain to the south on Friday - so not so good news there.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BBC has 7C for Friday so I really do not get it ? Tomorrow is 5C so maybe some sleet on the tops of the downs. At no stage in the forecasts is the temperature expected to fall below 0C day or night for the next week. I find the description today of " bitterly cold " for Thursday and Friday quite extraordinary to be honest

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
BBC has 7C for Friday so I really do not get it ? Tomorrow is 5C so maybe some sleet on the tops of the downs. At no stage in the forecasts is the temperature expected to fall below 0C day or night for the next week. I find the description today of " bitterly cold " for Thursday and Friday quite extraordinary to be honest

Adding in wind chill?

Flex Your Head

You ignored my post last time :(, so I'll use the same wording:

For the average punter (read: not a weather nerd), it will be bitterly cold. They won't be bothered about what the actual temperature is, it will feel bloody cold over the next few days.

This is from the BBC for tomorrow Cold and breezy at times bringing a marked wind-chill.
The feel-like temperature for SE London tomorrow varies between a high of minus 2 and a low of minus 4.

That is bitterly cold and more appropriate than saying it will be 5 deg C if it doesn't feel anything like it. If you want to stride around in your T-shirt and jeans, go for it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Much the same - still an initial 95% as the front clears, then another 90%, 80% period mid Thursday.

This is for roughly Worthing http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=290.94000244140625&y=179.0800018310547

you can check out any UK location by clicking the map here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php

On Twitter, I asked Ian Fregusson, who works for the Met Office his view on the occluded front Thursday night, and he thinks at the moment, it's likely to bring sleet or rain to the south on Friday - so not so good news there.
That site seems to suggest that the temperature will remain below 0oC for a week, which clearly isn't the case... Or am I looking at it wrong?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Adding in wind chill?

There is certainly a 'trend' to report how the temp will feel in the wind, which is very un-scientific, imho.
[MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is correct that the absolute maximum temps being forecast for each day / night ARE quite high, but of course this may be only for a short time in each period.

I am interested to see how the model output verifies against the reality down here.

the most recent output STILL has high snow percentages tonight and tomorrow. In fact, if you move slightly inland (as the grid size tends to merge the coastal data with the nearby sea), to somewhere like Horsham or HH you get 100%, 55%, 65%, 45%, 100%, 45% from tonight through to the end of tomorrow.

(For some reason I can't post the chart at the moment).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here