Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOBO Awards

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Racist my arse. It's music that has its origins from black influence. It's trying to offset the mainstream a little. If the Stones were around today they would sweep the board.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I suspect that it was originally called that because even though there have always been successful black musicians, there was historically deep racism towards them. e.g. "In August 1948, Nat King Cole purchased a house from Col. Harry Gantz, the former husband of Lois Weber, in the all-white Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. The Ku Klux Klan, still active in Los Angeles well into the 1950s, responded by placing a burning cross on his front lawn." Presumably, the name was designed to remind people of what good music was made by black people. It's relevance now? Harder to justify probably, but names have a habit of sticking...

But the MOBO's didnt start till 1996.

I suspect there was no more reason for its instigation than to give the less mainstream acts an opportunity to have a jolly up just like their pop contemparies

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Before the success of his first full album he did an EP called collaboration. It featured reworkings of some of his songs with the additions of other UK urban artists like Devlin and Wretch 32. This helped raise the profile of both Sheeran and the featured artists.

I've got a Devlin album. Bought it randomly, one time at Rough Trade, wish I hadn't. My goodness, it's shit. The lad's got very little talent, his song-writing is cliched to hell and he does love name-checking himself and his mates and his urban credentials. He's also very mono-delivery and that's not very good either. It basically involves him sounding like he's out of breath and reading a speech to assembly. He's not a patch on Skinnyman or Scroobius Pip.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I've got a Devlin album. My goodness, it's shit. The lad's got very little talent, his song-writing is cliched to hell and he does love name-checking himself and his mates and his urban credentials. He's also very mono-delivery and that's not very good either. It basically involves him sounding like he's out of breath and reading a speech to assembly. He's not a patch on Skinnyman or Scroobius Pip.
Didn't realise you were as well versed in UK hip hop Buzzer. I assumed you weren't aware of the Collaboration EP. I hope I didn't come across as (unintentionally) condescending!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Didn't realise you were as well versed in UK hip hop Buzzer. I assumed you weren't aware of the Collaboration EP. I hope I didn't come across as (unintentionally) condescending!

I don't know an awful lot about the scene at all and hadn't heard the collaborations EP. I get a few recommendations from Chappers but that's my limits. I bought the Devlin album hoping to get into it but it's put me right off!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Because you must conform to only music of black origin. Imagine an awards ceremony that celebrates music of white origin?

Yeah like , when are we gonna have the MOWO's dude

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But the MOBO's didnt start till 1996.

I suspect there was no more reason for its instigation than to give the less mainstream acts an opportunity to have a jolly up just like their pop contemparies

Ah. That does kind of negate my point pretty comprehensively, doesn't it?

In that case, I'm not sure of the relevance...

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Why does the origin of the music make any difference? Can't an emerging artist win an award based on their music alone? And if anyone regardless of race can win one, why bother with the name MOBO?

I'm sure I'm probably being staggeringly un-PC here but I truly don't see the point of the Mobo's, just seems to flag up race for no apparent reason. If you make good music I don't care if you're white, black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, Jehovah or Ginger. I honestly couldn't care less about your background. It's about talent and talent only. So why the name?

I get why there's a Black Police Association, people from all races/backgrounds should actively be encouraged to join a Police force that is representative of its community. Music though has had successful black artists for decades. Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Louie Armstrong, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix etc

Can someone explain/ put me in my place as I appear to have completely missed the point! There must be a good reason for the award being called the MOBO's?!

If someone, through the misfortune of their birth circumstances, was a palace fan - would you begrudge them an award?

(Obviously a hypothetical question as they would have no talent)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Ah. That does kind of negate my point pretty comprehensively, doesn't it?

In that case, I'm not sure of the relevance...

Still I appreciate you explanation! I guess I'm none the wiser, although perhaps a little more assured that MOBO is a silly name for these awards,

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Mozart, Puccini, Brahms, Beethoven, Jenkins, Mendelssohn, finzi etc etc.

Sure, that's all well and good.

But when you look at popular music of the last century, off the top of my head; jazz, blues, rock n roll, soul, disco, funk, house, hip hop it really isn't hard to see a common denominator is it? I see no problem in celebrating this amazing contribution to modern music that black people have made, especially since anyone can win a MOBO.

The only problem being, it's just another shit awards show.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sure, that's all well and good.

But when you look at popular music of the last century, off the top of my head; jazz, blues, rock n roll, soul, disco, funk, house, hip hop it really isn't hard to see a common denominator is it? I see no problem in celebrating this amazing contribution to modern music that black people have made, especially since anyone can win a MOBO.

The only problem being, it's just another shit awards show.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with all of that. I just think in these pc days, it's easy for people to jump on an awards show referring to the ethenticity of the participants.

Certainly there would be hell on if there was a mowo awards...sad though that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here