Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Club insensitivity re crimes of state of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, this is a rarity - NSC completely united. Left and Right, Tory and Labour, Brexiteers and Remainers, even Israeli and Palestinian sympathisers. Blimey.

There's a moral here somewhere, but I don't know what it is!

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As others have already said - I am very uneasy about how the state of Israel has conducted itself over the years but the OP is so far off the mark with this display of outrage.

Please direct you indignation and offence somewhere else. Hemed's and Kayal's friendship from childhood is a beautiful symbol of the positive power of sport. I , like many Albion fans , feel great pride about it as it acts as a metaphor for the spirit that runs in the DNA of this great club that tries to remember its roots within the local community and beyond. For the OP to attempt to make some spurious political point from this is beyond pitiful.

And I say again - I am not disagreeing with your views on the state of Israel but I do wholeheartedly condemn your shoddy and misguided method.

Very well said! You succinctly echoed my thoughts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't wait for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] to get an email entitled:-

NSC insensitivity re crimes against me (Beadman) and my opinion.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I don't disagree with you about the treatment of the Palestinians, but Brighton and Hove Albion is an English football club and there is nothing remotely wrong with the club featuring two Israeli players on its calendar. It's not at all clear what your problem is anyway - certainly not made clear by your letter.

Well said. I've read his letter twice and I still don't see what his point is. .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, this is a rarity - NSC completely united. Left and Right, Tory and Labour, Brexiteers and Remainers, even Israeli and Palestinian sympathisers. Blimey.

There's a moral here somewhere, but I don't know what it is!

To be fair, there are several frequent posters, best described as 'one-off man-mentals' yet to post on this thread. Give it time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wow, did not expect to read a post like that on here.

We all know Barber reads every email and responds to them all which is a real credit to him but I actually feel sorry for him that he's got to take the time to read and reply to that.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Here's my email to Paul Barber
Dear Mr Barber,

I am an Albion supporter of almost 50 years standing and a season ticket holder for over 15 years. I was surprised to find calendar images for May of Brighton’s Israeli players Tomer Hemed and Beram Kayal. I am aware that Hemed is Jewish & Kayal Palestinian by birth, that both came through the ranks together at Macabi Haifa and the pair are on the most cordial terms.

As you may well be aware May 2018 marks the founding of the modern state of Israel. The enforced expulsion of over 700,000 Palestinians from their homes and lands which followed is known by them as the Nakba or Great Catastrophe. The subsequent history of the Israeli state is one of the brutal repression of Palestinians in Gaza, continued settlement building in the West Bank and an apartheid regime for those Palestinians still residing within Israel. This oppression is illegal under international law and has been condemned in UN resolutions too numerous to mention.

During recent events in Gaza unarmed protesters claiming their UN mandated rights to return home have been fired upon with high calibre live ammunition by the Israeli army (somewhat disingenuously known as the Israeli ‘Defence’ Force). At time of writing over 40 Palestinians have been killed and thousands wounded. Casualties include clearly marked journalists and paramedics.

Brighton & Hove Albion is a club I have been proud to support, the city’s cosmopolitan culture and tolerance being reflected in its fan base. I find it difficult to understand how the club could be so insensitive over a matter of this kind. I feel a public statement of apology re this month’s featured players would be appropriate. I look forward to your reply.

Interesting topic with the Giro starting in in Israel this week too and the protests re that. I have seen comment about Israel flags at Albion games until I’ve pointed out we have two Israelis in our team. A complex topic that deserves a lot of thought and worthwhile asking Barber at the next Q&A about it I think

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
giphy.gif

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Start of a new trend. Players to apologise for tenuous national wrongdoing. Dunk and Stephens to apologise for socks with sandals, Duffy for Mrs Brown's Boys, Izquierdo for the part cocaine played in the death of John Belushi, Knockaert to apologise for the execution of Knight Templar Jacques De Molay and Uwe to apologise for Kraftwerk being so crap at bringing out new albums.

Long overdue imo.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Interesting topic with the Giro starting in in Israel this week too and the protests re that. I have seen comment about Israel flags at Albion games until I’ve pointed out we have two Israelis in our team. A complex topic that deserves a lot of thought and worthwhile asking Barber at the next Q&A about it I think

Worthwhile asking Barber what exactly? And when you say "interesting topic" the topic was the alleged disgrace of Albion printing the picture of two Israelis of different religions on the calendar page for May.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That wastes valuable time when we could be discussing programme staples and a bhafc train.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
**** off you absolute bin licker.

What has this got to do with football or the club?

Take your agenda elsewhere.

beadman

Aug 27, 2003
Seven Dials
Following the usual cul-de-sacs and irrelevancies it is usual for message boards to generate I hope this is my very final statement.
I am not sure what I am supposed to be fishing for
Nobody has once mentioned the central point of my argument - May 2018 is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State Of Israel which started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population.
A bad month to feature Israeli players regardless of their religious or ethnic background
It is all about the date!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Perhaps the simplest option would be to cut out the players pics from, Jan, Feb, March or April and stick it over the top of May?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Following the usual cul-de-sacs and irrelevancies it is usual for message boards to generate I hope this is my very final statement.
Nobody has once mentioned the central point of my argument - May 2018 is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State Of Israel which started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population.
A bad month to feature Israeli players regardless of their religious or ethnic background

OK, I'll play along. Are you saying that if the pictures were featured in ANY OTHER month, that would make up for everything? Because I'm not being funny, that's not really making much of a stand for what you believe.

If it's fishing, it's pretty poor. If you're being serious with the original post, I'm sorry, I just don't get it, nor do I see the issue :shrug:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

... or alternatively, an excellent month in which to feature such players, in order to remind the world that despite the very fraught history of the Israel/Palestine part of the world in the last 70 years, sport can be a mechanism through which two men from the two divided communities in that part of the world can work together, play together and be brothers in the best sense of the word. Doing that does nothing to trivialise the historical point that the creation of the state of Israel as you put it "started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population" (and neither does it take away from the parallel historical truth that Israel's creation also provided a safe haven for one of the world's most persecuted minorities, in the immediate afternath of a Holocaust in which 6 million of them were brutally exterminated).

You, sir, have achieved what I thought virtually impossible, namely starting an NSC thread on a controversial political topic, which has (after 10 pages so far) achieved almost total unanimity in response from posters of the full range of persuasions. Hats off.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

On the contrary - everybody has addressed your point. Everybody has said "what on earth has the anniversary of the Israeli state got to do with pictures in a football club calendar?" Especially true as those pictures were not chosen at random but relate to the players' birthdays.

Well?

EDIT: And you would do well to read soistes excellent post above mine and ponder on that.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Lets cancel the month of May as it might offend someone. Actually come to think of it, I have never really liked Feb much either, can we get rid of this too please. Can you ask Paul Barber if he could remove it from next years calendar please.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we are all hoping this is your final statement.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here