Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is that the lowest ever?

IMG_2610.PNG

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In theory but given different circumstances..e.g Swansea and Saints draw, BHA stuck on 35 pts....and my Auntie had a pair of.....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As the first 2 replies suggest, that is incorrect to say.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If all other results had stayed the same then yes, we could have stayed up on 34 points. Those who said we were safe at that point were way off the mark, though - after we beat Arsenal to get to 34 points, at that time there were several teams who could have finished above us, so we certainly weren't safe.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
But there weren't different circumstances...

If our results were different then other results would have been different. If we lost all our games after 34 points it would have led to a completely different chain of events, which would have affected other teams too, so we'll never know.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
But there weren't different circumstances...

In a theoretical situation where we ended up on 34 points then obviously there WOULD have been ‘different circumstances’. If we got 6 less points then it’s clearly fact that other teams or team would have those points instead. Let’s say for example our 6 less points were a result of losing both Swansea games...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My theory is the previous 40 points for safety was based on a big 4. With a big 6 we now have a 34 Points safety net. I can’t be arsed to research this theory though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What makes me chuckle is the stupid assertion some clown in the BBC comments section posted yesterday where apparently the team in 10th with 44 points just shows how poor the standard of the league is.

How exactly does it do that then? The ONLY assertion you can really draw is that the top 6 are operating on a completely different level from the rest of the division.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What makes me chuckle is the stupid assertion some clown in the BBC comments section posted yesterday where apparently the team in 10th with 44 points just shows how poor the standard of the league is.

How exactly does it do that then? The ONLY assertion you can really draw is that the top 6 are operating on a completely different level from the rest of the division.

Really hard to say what the league table indicates really, when Burnley are the best of the rest, and don't get me wrong, they've been great, well organised, fantastic team spirt and workrate, but when they are the standout team and a good 5 points above the rest on 54 in 7th, then there is a question of how good the rest have been.

Whether that means the quality has gone down, or in fact the quality of the rest has collectively gone up, I don't know, but actually in agreement with you, you scroll through past league tables and there isn't a lot in it really, especially the last 5 seasons or so, the mid table 8th to 15th is typically only separated by 10 points. There has been no whipping boy either this year, not like a Villa, a Wolves, or a Cardiff. How do you work out points and positions translates into standard?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
In a theoretical situation where we ended up on 34 points then obviously there WOULD have been ‘different circumstances’. If we got 6 less points then it’s clearly fact that other teams or team would have those points instead. Let’s say for example our 6 less points were a result of losing both Swansea games...

Of course this is just fun whatiffery. But Once we got to 34 after Arsenal back In the mists of time - all our remaining points were from teams that stayed up - We could have lost to Hudds, Man Utd, Spurs, and Burnley and we would still have been 17th on 34.
Mind you we’d have gone down in this what if world if , let’s say, Stoke /Charlie Adams had actually scored that penalty or the rebound.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
If all other results had stayed the same then yes, we could have stayed up on 34 points. Those who said we were safe at that point were way off the mark, though - after we beat Arsenal to get to 34 points, at that time there were several teams who could have finished above us, so we certainly weren't safe.

We were correct to say we are safe on 34 points, because we would of been

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here