Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Congratulations to [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]. Kicking it in the BBAR competition

pic.jpg

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
For the newbies on here (I'm guessing the more established riders already have decent GPS units), rumours are that Gamin Edge 200's are scanning for £30.00 at the tesco extra stores (the big tesco stores) if you live near one, it may be worth the journey (they are normally about £80ish).

Unfortunately, I cannot get to a tesco until Thursday evening. Booo.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
For the newbies on here (I'm guessing the more established riders already have decent GPS units), rumours are that Gamin Edge 200's are scanning for £30.00 at the tesco extra stores (the big tesco stores) if you live near one, it may be worth the journey (they are normally about £80ish).

Unfortunately, I cannot get to a tesco until Thursday evening. Booo.
Oh, that would be good, if anyone fancies getting me one!

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Judging by the responses I think we're a little surprised by the welcome new face faces on Strava, but a little confused as to why that's not transferring to here, or at least joining up Strava names with NSC.

A rather lame excuse for not doing the right thing last night.

Hello, welcome aboard, what's your riding story?
So what do you ride, distance etc.

FYI we love a good comedy fall story.
One that doesn't involve any major bike damage, we're not too bothered about how beat up you got (assuming you stayed out of hospital)

I rode a Specialized with a mixture of Dura Ace and 105. My fastest time up Ditchling Beacon (before I had Strava) is 4:35. What else do you need to know?:whistle:

We've even got our own JCL's!

I have had a season ticket since I was 7 :laugh:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So it's Bianchi's, Giant, Specialized, Planet X.

Anyone else with a Battaglin or a Verenti on here?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have a Boardman.

Anybody take part in the Brighton to Brighton event on Sunday? I smashed out the 107 mile course and came second last - although for me it wasn't a race and I wasn't driven by the time I was setting. I spent some time enjoying the countryside just watching the world go by. I started at 8:45ish and finished at 6:25pm, I could have done it quicker had it been necessary (the organisers might argue that it WAS!). Shame Strava only caught the first 52 miles of my effort.

Boris probably requires some TLC now, but after the cycle to the Amex tonight! I think Norwich is going to be an absolute GIGGLE. 165 miles? I'll knacker that on the FRIDAY. :jester:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a Boardman.

Anybody take part in the Brighton to Brighton event on Sunday? I smashed out the 107 mile course and came second last - although for me it wasn't a race and I wasn't driven by the time I was setting. I spent some time enjoying the countryside just watching the world go by. I started at 8:45ish and finished at 6:25pm, I could have done it quicker had it been necessary (the organisers might argue that it WAS!). Shame Strava only caught the first 52 miles of my effort.

Boris probably requires some TLC now, but after the cycle to the Amex tonight! I think Norwich is going to be an absolute GIGGLE. 165 miles? I'll knacker that on the FRIDAY. :jester:

Man that is annoying when Strava fails. As [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] would say 'it's like I haven't done the ride!'….

I saw the B2B event as I was heading on my ride out East so went past the start - looked a great turn out. There was also a TT race going on North to South through Chailey which looked to have some very fast competitors in it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Congratulations to [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]. Kicking it in the BBAR competition

View attachment 59052

Thanks a lot IL! It was the last counting event at the weekend and, although it hasn't all been properly ratified yet, I think I've just about held onto 7th. PB'ed at all distances this year and massively exceeded even my most ambitious targets, so feeling very smug. Dangerous game though, cos I'm already thinking about next season and I'm struggling to see where the improvements might come from. About to order another massive can of turd polish...

Thanks again for all the props!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Everesting - anyone interested?:-

http://blog.strava.com/on-top-of-the-world-everesting-8332/

Oh and for the record, I'm not.

Oddly enough, and very loosely I sort of am. I have done a bit of 'looping' this summer to get plenty of climbs in, but Everesting is a monster challenge. Would it be a bit poncey to start with a bit of Ben Nevissing first? At 4409 feet that would equate to a big ride. Would take about 10 up and downs and that would be a handful for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks a lot IL! It was the last counting event at the weekend and, although it hasn't all been properly ratified yet, I think I've just about held onto 7th. PB'ed at all distances this year and massively exceeded even my most ambitious targets, so feeling very smug. Dangerous game though, cos I'm already thinking about next season and I'm struggling to see where the improvements might come from. About to order another massive can of turd polish...

Brilliant stats, well done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oddly enough, and very loosely I sort of am. I have done a bit of 'looping' this summer to get plenty of climbs in, but Everesting is a monster challenge. Would it be a bit poncey to start with a bit of Ben Nevissing first? At 4409 feet that would equate to a big ride. Would take about 10 up and downs and that would be a handful for me.
It's a great read.
Clearly this isn't for me, although eating everything in sight and sleeping for 10 hours is definitely doable.

Even if you take the stupidity of the task out of the equation mentally it's got to be exhausting.
Only being on the one climb for x hours has to make you a little screwy.

I have a good climb near me for it, albeit with a terrible road surface, as you can get back to the bottom in a triangle shaped circuit, but that wouldn't be allowed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Danny Mac is at it again:-

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Now I'm definitely not a tester, but looking at that list, your 100 time seems to be a bit slower than those around you?

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Now I'm definitely not a tester, but looking at that list, your 100 time seems to be a bit slower than those around you?

Well spotted. I did my 100 back in May, well before I had any serious BBAR aspirations, and by the time I'd done a decent 12hr and 50, I was pretty well spent. The other guys in the top 12 all did 100s on faster Midlands and East Anglia courses, which by general consensus seem to be 10-15min faster than the course I did mine on, so I guess there's room for improvement there. Only problem is, I reckon my 12hr was a bit of a 'perfect storm', so next year I'd need to go a lot quicker in the 100 to compensate for an almost inevitably slower 12hr... Oh well, lots of beer and puddings to concentrate on before I start worrying about next season!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't know when to 'kudos' you anymore [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]. Seems a bit OTT to sometimes, but your stats are normally amazing. 2 minutes quicker than me up Kidds with a broken spoke. Keep at it.

Danny Mac is unique.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here