Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
These modern gadgets! bring back coal fires, and tin baths in the kitchen

We still have coal fires and tin baths here,some think.:lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
When I started with my dad in 1974 we came across loads of tin baths and outside toilets at the bottom of the garden.
I suddenly feel very old :moo:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The thermostat should work, but when they go, the water heats up to boiling point. It also depends on how well insulated the hot water tank is, as it will be heating the surrounding air, as well.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
We've been away for three weeks (bad fan) and just came home today.

She who knows how the hot water and heater settings work (or so she thought) adjusted the hot water settings so that it was only being heated for 1 minute per day, for the simple reason of not spending money on heating water we'd not be using.

It transpired that she got it wrong, and the hot water has been heated for 5 1/2 hours each and every day for the past three weeks.

Is the boiler/cylinder thing likely to have some sort of settings or thermostat that mean when the water reaches a certain temperature, it will disengage, or will it have been going flat out for 5 1/2 hours each and every day.

why do you think the 'stat broke when you weren't there to watch it work?
it's a bi-metallic strip! nowt to go wrong!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
ce207ce56021ddc5d03b3920bfaec5be.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We've been away for three weeks (bad fan) and just came home today.

She who knows how the hot water and heater settings work (or so she thought) adjusted the hot water settings so that it was only being heated for 1 minute per day, for the simple reason of not spending money on heating water we'd not be using.

It transpired that she got it wrong, and the hot water has been heated for 5 1/2 hours each and every day for the past three weeks.

Is the boiler/cylinder thing likely to have some sort of settings or thermostat that mean when the water reaches a certain temperature, it will disengage, or will it have been going flat out for 5 1/2 hours each and every day.

Sounds like you need a new boiler.

The hot water heater should be fine, though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't believe you've asked that question, on here

It's not as if the NSC plumbers division don't have a high enough post count as it is :facepalm:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do they still make them????

Very popular with older people I'm told.
To be honest I wish all heating controllers were this simple, I often get asked if I can set up a very complicated heating programmer for a customer.
I don't actually know how some of them work myself.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Get Hive and you control the heating, hot water and lights if you buy them from Hive. Brilliant system if you spend any time away from home.

Yeah, thought you'd be all over this, Bozza.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Very popular with older people I'm told.
To be honest I wish all heating controllers were this simple, I often get asked if I can set up a very complicated heating programmer for a customer.
I don't actually know how some of them work myself.

I know the feeling:dunce:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Get Hive and you control the heating, hot water and lights if you buy them from Hive. Brilliant system if you spend any time away from home.

Pretty sure the hot water would have turned itself off after reaching temperature though.

After watching ITV's Tonight programme last night, seeing how hackers can hack your home through your wifi, next time you could come home to far worse trouble than "she who knows best" has achieved.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After watching ITV's Tonight programme last night, seeing how hackers can hack your home through your wifi, next time you could come home to far worse trouble than "she who knows best" has achieved.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday.

What's the worst that could happen? They crank up my heating, or turn it off? House has a burglar alarm so they won't be accessing that through a router.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here