Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Penalty miss...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wasn't there but have seen the clip, seems you're wrong to trust BBC live text and summation as Stockers went to his right and the ball missed to the same side.

Begs the question what match were the match reporters watching ....

Worse than that I watched the Channel 5 highlights last night and the stupid bint who presents it said the same thing. This was just after showing the clip of Stockdale going completely the RIGHT way to the point that had the ball not gone 8ft wide of the post he would definitely have saved it. I had to rewind it about 4 times to make sure I hadn't misheard her.

They then spent a while discussing the "gamesmanship" of the Brighton players who they seemed to think were only arguing with the officials to put the penalty taker off (rather than because the decision was such a total disgrace) and showed the miss again (complete with DS going the right way, again). Only entertaining thing was Iwelumo laughing and saying that they obviously did the right thing as he missed.

It really is a bloody terrible show.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Nothing, I was more worried about how many more of our players were going to be booked before the penalty was taken.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Worse than that I watched the Channel 5 highlights last night and the stupid bint who presents it said the same thing. This was just after showing the clip of Stockdale going completely the RIGHT way to the point that had the ball not gone 8ft wide of the post he would definitely have saved it. I had to rewind it about 4 times to make sure I hadn't misheard her.

They then spent a while discussing the "gamesmanship" of the Brighton players who they seemed to think were only arguing with the officials to put the penalty taker off (rather than because the decision was such a total disgrace) and showed the miss again (complete with DS going the right way, again). Only entertaining thing was Iwelumo laughing and saying that they obviously did the right thing as he missed.

Big Chris had a huge Grin and loved it. I do wonder if he hadnt played for us if there would have been a bit more of a discusion.

Stockers never gets the credit he deserves. Even when he does from the fans the media screw him over. Im glad he didnt save it, would have ran the risk of a rebound. However i wish he had and all was fine. The amount of bum slaps he would have given out would have been unreal.

Calderwoods reaction though is the closest to a fans reaction I have ever seen. Even better in slow mo.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I summoned up my spirit guide, Norman, to contact my late father and to ask him to whisper "wanker" in Carl Baker's ear as he was about to strike the ball. It worked!

This is my favourite by a mile. If this is true. Its ****ing incredible.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It actually didn't... well acording to Dale at least anyway. In his interview he said it never even touched him and it actually bounced of Tomer's face.

I read somewhere (not sure how reliable the source was) that the lino couldn't identify which player had handballed it for their penalty, yet still gave it.

The free kick for their first goal was awarded for a handball when Bruno clearly chested it down and wasn't handball.

2 bad decisions almost led to 2 goals to MK and almost cost us 2 points, but thankfully they missed the penalty - no wonder the players were annoyed at the decisions and argued it so much

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I read somewhere (not sure how reliable the source was) that the lino couldn't identify which player had handballed it for their penalty, yet still gave it.

Yesterday's interview with Dale Stephens, in the Argus, so pretty reliable.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Am I the only one who blames Stephens for even giving the linesman the option to give a pen?.. I also think it might have BEEN a pen too.

attachment.php

It's the last minute of the game. Why is he giving it the old "Look at me, I'm Kate Winslet on the front of the Titanic" arms waving all over the place. Keep them by your side man!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We were cheated out of a 2-1 win after being 2-0 up at Bolton so this was our turn for the rub of the green to work in our favour. I was convinced they would score just like I was convinced Bristol City would miss their last minute penalty a few weeks ago.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Interestingly, i thought at the time it was a stonewall penalty from the way the ball moved and how Stephens's arm also moved. However, i've happened to come accross this MK Dons fans video (which isn't actually the worst i've seen) and it shows the incident at 18:00. If you watch it, it clearly hits Hemed in the face and not Stephens's arm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdD_-4mrQRA

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just kept repeating "it's gonna miss" over and over until it did.
Thank god it missed or you'd still be saying it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I summoned up my spirit guide, Norman, to contact my late father and to ask him to whisper "wanker" in Carl Baker's ear as he was about to strike the ball. It worked!
I'm just glad your father was on time for once.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

The stupid bint is the offspring of Kenny Dalglish - so should have some pedigree?

Yes, I was particularly annoyed that the presenters picked on Brighton players who wasted TWO minutes trying to put the penalty taker off - how ungentlemanly was that. Rather than supporting the injustice of being awarded a penalty that wasn't.

With so much at stake, I can see TV replay becoming part of football like it has for cricket and rugby. The bookings we took for our protesting might just lead to a suspension before the season is over, having a potential major influence in the outcome of another game.

That got me a bit furious to use a Trigaaar-ism

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interestingly, i thought at the time it was a stonewall penalty from the way the ball moved and how Stephens's arm also moved. However, i've happened to come accross this MK Dons fans video (which isn't actually the worst i've seen) and it shows the incident at 18:00. If you watch it, it clearly hits Hemed in the face and not Stephens's arm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdD_-4mrQRA
Good spot, clearest video yet.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So their goal, and their penalty were both incorrect hand ball decisions, and still they moan about the result.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Am I the only one who blames Stephens for even giving the linesman the option to give a pen?.. I also think it might have BEEN a pen too.

attachment.php

It's the last minute of the game. Why is he giving it the old "Look at me, I'm Kate Winslet on the front of the Titanic" arms waving all over the place. Keep them by your side man!

Video above shows Stephen's arms by his side as the ball sails past him and hits Hemed in the face

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love the 'Baker you W@nker' shout after he missed the penalty :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here