Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactly what was said and the context are irrelevant, the whole point is that whether she was being very sensitive or not, what I perceived as "banter" she perceived as victimisation. I was trying to be a fun boss by "having a laugh" and achieved the exact opposite.

People's perceptions of banter can be very different and most of the differences can be explained by who has the power in any given relationship.

BOqRTYRCcAAExDl.jpg

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Is it a good thing that there is behaviour on building sites that might make people who are "snowflakes" cry? If so why?

Banter. Just banter but in this world of precious little darlings some can't handle banter. I wouldn't work anywhere else. Thick skin required.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't be so stupid - you can argue that PC has gone mad and also disapprove of giving offence -they are not mutually exclusive. There is such a thing as correctness and rightly so, as we should all avoid trying to give offence to others. But, as we both know, there are in all walks of life fanatics determined to be offended, come what may, with its risks for free speech, and with the inevitable result that you are frightened to speak out, for fear of offending people That is how you end up with situations like we have witnessed in Rotherham -doubtless someone just like you would have been desperately offended when the dreadful accusation was made that white girls were being targeted by Asian men. How could they have said such a thing?
You can't disapprove of giving offence if your first instinct (as in McTavish's example) is to blame the person with the complaint.

I've actually read the Jay report and the police failings were more a case of not listening to the victims based on preconceptions regarding their backgrounds rather than the ethnicity of the perpetrators. It's actually a fairly good example of why people in authority should listen to people's experiences without predjudice rather than blindly do what they've always done convinced they're in the right despite evidence to the contrary.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Of course you are right about different perceptions and doubtless power may have something to do with it. Yes, she may well have misinterpreted your jokes, but what I was trying to say was that you should not necessarily beat yourself up over it. Some folk can be unreasonably sensitive and take correctness far too far. Might it be that she was determined to be the victim? You were there, I wasn't -I am just surmising and suggesting that the joker is not always at fault. Have you now changed your manner so that you don't joke with anyone at all for fear of "victimising" someone?
Isn't the point that good managers adapt their approach according to the individuals they have?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Isn't the point that good managers adapt their approach according to the individuals they have?

Of course they should, but your question in this case is irrelevant, as the person had no idea, prior to the resignation, that their approach was counter-productive.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You can't disapprove of giving offence if your first instinct (as in McTavish's example) is to blame the person with the complaint.

I've actually read the Jay report and the police failings were more a case of not listening to the victims based on preconceptions regarding their backgrounds rather than the ethnicity of the perpetrators. It's actually a fairly good example of why people in authority should listen to people's experiences without predjudice rather than blindly do what they've always done convinced they're in the right despite evidence to the contrary.

No one is blaming the complainant -why should anyone do that if that is how she felt. But to be fair to mcT some folk can react like that to innocent banter, which has no obvious evil intent whatsoever. Had she stayed, he would doubtless have changed his way of going about things, knowing the effect of his banter. 99% (or whatever) of the time, his banter would have produced a different reaction. It happens all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here