Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On This Day...

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I get that the Walsall game feels like forever ago, but I can't believe that Leicester was 23 years ago.

My memory has that it was raining for Walsall but I am old now. I was in the front of the North stand and to show how long ago it was, as the goals rained in the same few fans ran on the pitch for each goal and dived back in the "crowd".

I was in the front row at Leicester and nearly ended up on the pitch falling over the hoarding when Munday scored.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Leicester 23 years ago? Cripes. I remember the tabloid headline next day "Marvelous Munday". What a day. The fans were in good voice too.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
On the theme of the weather for the Walsall game, on the way back to Kent where we were staying on holiday there was the mother and father of a lightning storm. Dramatic end to a dramatic day!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stood on the NW Terrace, remember it as very damp and I too was 23 years old.
The most surprising night in Albion history. Awful first half. Mullery was so angry he sent them back out, after 2-3 minutes in the dressing room, to stand in the rain and cold and wait fully 5-6 minutes for Walsall to emerge. The next 28 minutes was breathtaking. I have never seen a team ripped to shreds like that. Ward and Mellor were unplayable and Horton drove the team forward like a man possessed. Had we not eased up in the last 17 minutes I'm sure they could have broken the club record, getting 10 or 11.
On a horrible night for weather and against opponents who were always a bogey side to us, it would have been very easy to give the game a miss. I thank my lucky stars I went and witnessed that. It was one of those special nights that will forever linger in the memory.
Great account of a truly legendary game. I went to all the home games that season apart from that one and the 7-2 v York! ( at least that was on MOTD). I remember it being an absolute pig of a night and listening to the reports on Radio Brighton.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was 14 for the Walsall game. Down the front in the West Stand South.

I thought it fully rained through the second half.

Ward and Mellor were just brilliant in the second half and just tore the Walsall defence apart. More than once they appeared to end up goal side of the entire defence with just the decision to make as to whose turn it was to score.

As per my user name, I remember it well. One of my favourite Goldstone memories.

It rained all night, we were dreadful first half, attacking the North Stand, where I was stood.

Mullery sent the players out a few minutes before the end of half time after by all accounts giving them a right rollicking.

Second half we were fantastic, but as was the story of the season, Wardy took the headlines, but Horton was outstanding.

Just a shame that all the goals were at the wrong end for me!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Those that know me in the real world will find it impossible to believe as I only look like i'm in my late 30s.......but I too was at the Walsall game..in the North Stand of course!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Great account of a truly legendary game. I went to all the home games that season apart from that one and the 7-2 v York! ( at least that was on MOTD). I remember it being an absolute pig of a night and listening to the reports on Radio Brighton.

Snap! Was on Holiday for York, dying with flu for Walsall

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
View attachment 89981

41 years ago we beat Walsall 7-0 at the Goldstone, four goals from Ward and the other three from Mellor.

[tweet]915812988170461184[/tweet]

26 years ago John Byrne and John Robinson scored in a 4-2 loss at Sunderland.

[tweet]915813782248673280[/tweet]

23 years ago we beat Leicester 2-0 away in the League Cup with goals from Stuart Munday and Kurt Nogan.

The game againdt Walsall was the day I was born and my 18th I was at filbert street for Mundays screamer

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember taking a mate from Eastbourne (it was his first ever game) who I knew from college. 0-0 at half time and he was really bored and wished he hadn't bothered going. He certainly changed his mind when the North Stand erupted 7 times. Christ!! 41 years ago, bl00dy hell.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I just about remember that match! Did we put 6 past Peterborough that season as well a smashing York?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I remember taking a mate from Eastbourne (it was his first ever game) who I knew from college. 0-0 at half time and he was really bored and wished he hadn't bothered going. He certainly changed his mind when the North Stand erupted 7 times. Christ!! 41 years ago, bl00dy hell.

Good job he stayed. I had someone standing next to me who left at halftime, grumbling about the bloody weather and how we always lose to Walsall and how the second half was going to be so predictable!
Often wonder how he felt when he saw the final score.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Remember it so well also the York 7-2 . Happy days . 41 years ago bloody hell . I was just 19 . Oh for a Time Machine to whisk me be back to those days.

There was a strange parallel between the two home games. York and Walsall. We were pretty awful in the first halves of both games but sprang to life after the interval. York was 2-2 at HT and Walsall 0-0.
Maybe it demonstrates what a good ' half-time manager ' Mullery was and how he got the players fired up.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Remembering the two 7's v York and Walsall and Charlton and Chester and for us older ones, the 9 v Southend, but are there any NSCers out there who have seen 8 scored in a league game by us?
There was 8 v Northwich ( ? ) in the Cup but beyond that, I can't remember any Albion side reaching that figure in the league, certainly not in the last 50 years.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Remembering the two 7's v York and Walsall and Charlton and Chester and for us older ones, the 9 v Southend, but are there any NSCers out there who have seen 8 scored in a league game by us?
There was 8 v Northwich ( ? ) in the Cup but beyond that, I can't remember any Albion side reaching that figure in the league, certainly not in the last 50 years.
I went to the FA Cup game against Wisbech Town in 1964 when we won 10-1 but I can't remember going to any league game with us scoring more than 8 goals (that's if we have).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here