Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We gave a very good account of ourselves...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Very unlucky Brighton, think we deserved at least a draw. However sometimes you don't get the good fortune you deserve. Had Solly's blistering shot not hit the post who knows, we'd probably have gone on to win 3 or 4:1. However it was not to be and alas the mighty Albion come back from their travels empty handed but by no means disgraced, amen.

I admire your optimsm, but I think that is stretching it a bit too far

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A lot of regular Premiership teams below the top 6 try not to get tonked at Emirates, thought we gave them a couple of scares, definitely nothing to be negative about.

Agreed we didn't play to our full potential but that rarely happens. Fortunately, neither did Arsenal, a fair result.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We looked like a newly promoted team finding our feet in the Prem trying not to get tonked. :shrug: It's a bit much to expect we go to the Big teams grounds and give them a real fright at this stage. Arsenal were cruising for most of the game but we fought well, had some good spells with quality performances notably from Dunk. On to the next one.

This. Considering we were a makeshift team due to injuries, and a suspension, I thought we gave a good account of ourselves. March was unlucky not to score, and the team were growing in confidence throughout the game.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We looked like a newly promoted team finding our feet in the Prem trying not to get tonked. :shrug: It's a bit much to expect we go to the Big teams grounds and give them a real fright at this stage. Arsenal were cruising for most of the game but we fought well, had some good spells with quality performances notably from Dunk. On to the next one.

Dunky was indeed brilliant, one or two contentious tackles OK but at one point when a cross came in he went up with his hand but fortunately missed the ball !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My worst fears came to fruition.

The Albion had no intention to score from open play, and for all their good play came away with nothing.
The bore-offs who cream themselves over 'Hughton is too defensive', will be like a dog with too dicks.

Sure getting the team attacking without compromising it's defensive duties is a tough balancing act, but they have to do it better than that.

Rolling over for City and now Arsenal, means we can expect the same for Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd and Spurs.
All of whom can humiliate the Albion, but so far the team has clearly been told to show to much respect for 2 teams that weren't entitled to their comfortable wins.

My worst fears didn’t come to fruition

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Last 15 mins was really good. Maybe should have gone for it a bit earlier like that, even if it meant losing 3-0 4-0

It was, but that was because by then it was job done for Arsenal so they stepped off it a bit. When they went up a gear at the start of the second half we just couldn't live with them. As said above though, we didn't disgrace ourselves, and Hughton should have brought Knockeart and Murray on with 30 minutes to go not 15 imho.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Dunky was indeed brilliant, one or two contentious tackles OK but at one point when a cross came in he went up with his hand but fortunately missed the ball !

The clearance off the line and the 70-yard raking pass were standout moments but it was a pleasure watching him look so at home on this stage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My worst fears came to fruition.

The Albion had no intention to score from open play, and for all their good play came away with nothing.
The bore-offs who cream themselves over 'Hughton is too defensive', will be like a dog with too dicks.

Sure getting the team attacking without compromising it's defensive duties is a tough balancing act, but they have to do it better than that.

Rolling over for City and now Arsenal, means we can expect the same for Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd and Spurs.
All of whom can humiliate the Albion, but so far the team has clearly been told to show to much respect for 2 teams that weren't entitled to their comfortable wins.

Is that intended drivel?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I thought we looked okay, did not embarrass ourselves, but could have played a lot better. Too deep, too many poor passes straight to the opposition and a few aimless hoofs.

With a bit more composure I think we will be a decent side and survive the season - it is still early days, we have seven points, are not in the relegation zone and are learning. We did not deserve any more from the game today, but there is plenty to be optimistic about. Up the Albion.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They were another level up with two short spells one in each half apart from that we gave a good account of ourselves.

2-0 was a fair result of this and the opening game against Man City provides a clear indication of the level between us and the top half.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
So the Arsenal fans view from the pub was we looked like we didn't believe we could score, we had the ability to threaten but rarely did and gave them an easy game. I was reasonably happy and thought Chech played well and snuffed us out but I think we are better than we think we are and missing an out and out striker.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The BBC summary includes these statements:
Routine win
Akin to flat track bullies of old
Arsenal could easily have scored more

The Telegraph:
Only a matter of time before Arsenal scored
Brighton's best chance was to test the suspect defence, rather than just defending, which we didn't do
Dunk kept the score down.

So, outclassed and never in the game.

I'd rather go with my judgement of the game that I saw at the ground rather than some journo with little interest in the game. We played well imo, we had chances (9 shots) against a top 6 side and were no where near as poor as these articles suggest. The lads can be proud of their efforts today just as those who were supporting them are

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the Arsenal fans view from the pub was we looked like we didn't believe we could score, we had the ability to threaten but rarely did and gave them an easy game. I was reasonably happy and thought Chech played well and snuffed us out but I think we are better than we think we are and missing an out and out striker.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Interesting. The general consensus in the (German) Arsenal pub I was in was that Arse won with ease but we gave them a number of spells of concern and looked good on the counter a few times. Solly March caught a few people's eye. The guy next to me also said he was glad half time came when it did.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our lightness up front is going to continue being a problem all season imo. if we couldn't add in the summer window I really doubt that we will in January. Such as shame as I feel we'd survive easily if we had more options up front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Embarrassing post. Don't care if it's sarcasm or not, Arsenal and Man City are in a different league and we have made both of them uncomfortable for spells. If you expected much more you are quite frankly delusional.
We've seen this team produce much more, this season.
CH is playing reputations not teams, playing City in their current purple patch would be completely different to playing them first game of the season.
The same goes of Arsenal today, when the Albion had a proper go, they made it very uncomfortable for them, and it was fantastic to see, begging the question why limit it to just 2 or 3 occasions?

Showing just a little more intent, would have made for a very different game.

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Thought all the team did their job except the two izzys, both faded and looked disinterested before being subbed

I think that's incredibly harsh on them both.

Brown coming back from injury and playing an isolated unfamiliar role with little to no practice.

Izqueirdo clearly having been given a much more defensive duty than he'd be used to, wasn't exactly prowling in their half off the shoulder of their last defender was he?

NEITHER looked disinterested I just think you/we are underestimating the amount of work it takes the whole team to get even close to some of these teams.

That's frightening about the Izzy's. With Hemed, they're our best chance of creating and scoring to have any chance of staying up.

If we'd have been at home I would have expected Groß to have been plugging the gap between them and the midfield thus giving them both much needed support.

Brown in particular was so isolated that unless he won and held the ball AND beat a man didn't have much chance to do anything.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
We’ll learn and we’ll get better. We’ll definitely stay up this season as there at least three teams who will finish below us. The weak links will be replaced starting in January. Tony will be pleased at the way things are going.
If we can keep in this division the money will help to buy better players. Its just a bit concerning that sometimes Arsenal were spraying the ball about and finding their players with 10-12 passes with one or two touches and where we can only do two or three and keep losing the ball and there is no outlet from the back. Possession is the key. If we got it they haven't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here