Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pascal Groß - what do we think?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It's interesting comparing the comments on this thread about the pace of the Premier League to quotes in other places (including Liam's Guardian column) suggesting players get more time on the ball at this level compared to the Championship? They can't both be right.

My view is a pretty simple one: mistakes get punished more ruthlessly in the Premier League. You can't afford to surrender possession with loose passes, or get pressured into losing the ball in a dangerous area as nine times out of ten you'll pay for it. Dale will be fine once he's got used to thinking quicker. Ditto Propper though I would be tempted to use Sidders away from home a bit more.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Whilst Stephens is probably the best/one of the best at championship level, he has IMO, surprisingly struggled so far (other than the defence splitting pass to Knocky).

This may be because of Propper (who does seem very similar) or because as you say he has been surprised by the pace.

Whilst like you, I think/hope he'll address his shortcomings it is an unexpected concern.

In fact, after the forward issue I would say the central midfield is the biggest area of worry for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone is saying the same thing really. Stephens has struggled at times and I don't think many anticipated that. As you say though most would think/hope that he'll come good as it would be a bit daft to write him off after 3 games. Based on Watford alone, I'd probably say Sidwell and Propper could be our best pairing right now but that's classic football fan guff - big up the player who hasn't kicked a ball this season yet! I do think Stephens will come good, just needs to adapt a bit.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's interesting comparing the comments on this thread about the pace of the Premier League to quotes in other places (including Liam's Guardian column) suggesting players get more time on the ball at this level compared to the Championship? They can't both be right.

When we've played Premier League sides in the past, in cup games, I have noticed the more time on the ball thing and put it down to players at PL level being more aware of holding shape as opposed to going too tight. Something Lewis Dunk referred to post Man City when he said most Championship strikers with their back to goal would take a touch but against City he went tight early on in the game and the ball was flicked over his head and he was almost made to look very silly.

In our games so far, there's no way you could claim we have more time on the ball. The pace has been ferocious. Who knows if that's just how it is or if we haven't yet earned the oppositions respect and they think they can get at us by pressuring us. When I was at Uni in Southampton 10 or so years ago now I spent some time working with their analyst who would study every opposition players first touch, game after game of footage. With that they would inform their own players with all sorts of details on when to engage with that player. When we played Newcastle at home last season I noticed how good their players touch was at times, I think it's something that perhaps doesn't make a huge difference in the Championship when you're one of the better sides in the league anyway, but that bit of ability becomes more important when you step up perhaps.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
After Man City and Leicester I would have agreed with you.

However at Watford on Saturday Propper started to show what he is all about.

He'll prove to be a great signing.

I'm still not convinced by Dale Stephens in that CM position. He has a frustrating tendency to slow every thing down and only seems to pass backwards or sideways. Firmly of the opinion that any half decent CM can do what he does. Offers nothing going forward and the amount of silly free kicks he gives will hurt us soon. Need an upgrade.

Agree on Stephens points, he does slow us down and did so last season too

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
He's a playmaker with a great pass and tactical awareness. Like a much much better version of Darren Currie. Not a forward as such. At Ingolstadt he was the main provider/chance creator in a struggling team. If/when we get the right striker in and Izquierdo pressing alongside Knocky/March I think he will come into his own.

Yeah, from what I've seen he's not going to give you the goal, but he'll set it up quite nicely. He just needs players to feed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought Stephens really stepped up his game against Watford, and for that matter Propper. I know if was against 10 for a long period, but the 2 of them along with Gross did seem to click a lot better imo. Very encouraging if they are on an upward curve of performances.

Thought they were very slow in possession and that is why Watford maintained their shape so easily.

All opinions

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Jury is still out for me on both Groß & Propper they need to get up to speed and quick. Propper doesn't get in game enough for me, very few tackles made and passes.

I just don't get the criticism of Stephens on this thread, thought he had a solid game on Saturday with some nice slick passing. Its all about opinions, Propper received a player rating of 8 from someone. :shrug:

#earlydays

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is a fantastic player who is suffering from the lack of quality in our team. When our first team is available, and we're not playing against a top 8 side, you'll see his sheer class and quality. I have no question at all that he's a wonderful player, clearly Premier League quality. Maybe he's struggling to impose himself at the moment but we've had a tough start and the whole team is taking time to adapt. I think the whole team is going to be stronger against West Brom at the Amex in a couple of weeks.

Great judgement and foresight, made back on 28 August. You called it perfectly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here