Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What dastardly deeds are they going to do with this data? Find out where the most fat people are and target them with more Turkey Twizzler ads?
No reason to type in your own. Just type in the BBC's post code: W1A 1AA

dont fear, i didnt give a correct one, though i like the BBC one for future use. what they will do with this is anyones guess, its just notable in weeks following scandals with data harvesting from Facebook etc that its done so casually. identifiable information is on my mind a lot and this clearly is.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
21.6 so smack in middle of 'healthy'.

It's bollox though coming from someone working in sport and fitness. Most athletes would totally fail and be called fat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
21.6 so smack in middle of 'healthy'.

It's bollox though coming from someone working in sport and fitness. Most athletes would totally fail and be called fat.

:facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The amount of beer bellies walking around on match day I'm amazed by some of the results

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Not sure what the average age is on NSC but at a guess its 40. 75% of males in this category are overweight in the UK

Being fat is the normal these days and I'd say there are a few people telling fibs on here

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
. Remember this is the system that labelled Jessica Ennis as overweight just before the London Olympics. An utterly unrealistic system and probably does more damage than it does good. Oh, I'm 27.5 but BMI can eff off if they think I'm going to care.

This is utter bollocks. Ennis’s BMI is around 20, which is well in the healthy range, even allowing for the fact that she was quite muscular when she competed. The controversy around her weight prior to 2012 was that a senior U.K. Athletics coach (not her coach, Tony Minichiello) suggested that she was not at optimum body fat prior to what was to be the biggest 2 days of competition in her life. In wasn’t an unreasonable comment to make to an elite athlete, but the permanently offended snowflakes picked it up anyway.

BMI is not perfect, but it is a decent indicator. Loads of people are fat these days, so it has become the norm, which is why so many are in denial.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
I'm very pleased you didn't tell your daughter about it. Girls have more problems with anorexia than being overweight.

The are far more women suffering from conditions related to obesity than anorexia.

Schools believe it enough to write to parents.

And so they should, as fat kids grow into obese adults. BMI is usually quite accurate for primary aged kids as you don’t tend to get many 9 year old body builders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BMI is not perfect, but it is a decent indicator. Loads of people are fat these days, so it has become the norm, which is why so many are in denial.

Quite. Some would be better channelling their energy into sorting out their porklife instead of moaning about BMI.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The are far more women suffering from conditions related to obesity than anorexia.

And so they should, as fat kids grow into obese adults. BMI is usually quite accurate for primary aged kids as you don’t tend to get many 9 year old body builders.

As Westdene, has already mentioned a 9 year old girl may have already reached puberty, where water retention can add 4lb to her weight just because of her menstrual cycle.

Height is also a poor indicator, as I stopped growing upwards at 12 years old. I would've been classed as underweight, as I looked like a beanpole. I was good at netball though.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Overweight which is a bit much since I have lost a stone and a half since Christmas.

Have been hitting Gym and Swimming almost every day but can't seem to lose that last half stone.

Clearly Muscle weighs more than Fat! :wink:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
BMI of 31, I appear to be significantly under tall, always been stocky (muscular), thighs like tree trunks from playing football, running and cycling up to 49, and would agree I'm now overweight, but disagree on obese.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
As Westdene, has already mentioned a 9 year old girl may have already reached puberty, where water retention can add 4lb to her weight just because of her menstrual cycle.

Height is also a poor indicator, as I stopped growing upwards at 12 years old. I would've been classed as underweight, as I looked like a beanpole. I was good at netball though.

There are occasional reasons that may explain an overweight kid, but for primary aged children, the reason that they have a BMI in the unhealthy range is the same in the majority of cases: They’re fat.

As with adults, oberweight has become the norm for children these days. As a result of their kids having similar looking physiques as their classmates, it often comes as a shock to their parents.

Another thing with BMI is that the range of healthy weights for any specific height is huge. This accounts for all sorts of body types and the mythical big bonedness.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
BMI of 31, I appear to be significantly under tall, always been stocky (muscular), thighs like tree trunks from playing football, running and cycling up to 49, and would agree I'm now overweight, but disagree on obese.

Pipe down FATTY

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are occasional reasons that may explain an overweight kid, but for primary aged children, the reason that they have a BMI in the unhealthy range is the same in the majority of cases: They’re fat.

As with adults, oberweight has become the norm for children these days. As a result of their kids having similar looking physiques as their classmates, it often comes as a shock to their parents.

Another thing with BMI is that the range of healthy weights for any specific height is huge. This accounts for all sorts of body types and the mythical big bonedness.

Children have growth spurts. They fill out and then grow upwards again. I can remember having to buy school trousers for my son three times in just one term, as his trouser legs were flapping above his ankles.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Children have growth spurts. They fill out and then grow upwards again. I can remember having to buy school trousers for my son three times in just one term, as his trouser legs were flapping above his ankles.

You’ve changed my mind. I guess that the paediatrician’s that have devised the healthy BMI range for kids that has been used in the NHS’s national child measurement scheme just don’t know what they’re talking about, and it’s all just puppy fat that they’ll grow out of. Obesity crisis? What obesity crisis?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here