Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Has the walking Dead jumped the Shark?

Has TWD jumped the Shark?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Apparently, this season is going to be the conclusion for the last 8 seasons and next season will be "very much a new show next year and with a bigger, new narrative" - a quote from the showrunner Scott Gimple http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/11/the-walking-dead-season-8-finale-showrunner-scott-gimple/

I've not enjoyed this season at all but keep watching as I want to see how this Negan storyline concludes. If it really is going to be an entirely new storyline next season, that might just lure me back in.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Still just about enjoying it, but it really is starting to take on a very 'B Movie' vibe. So many very obvious continuity errors, factual and plot holes.

I know it is a zombie apocalypse so you have ton suspend your disbelief somewhat - but they are pushing it further and further. In the time Maggie has been up the duff Rick's daughter has gone from a toddler to near enough starting puberty ffs. Characters change their opinions, attitude and philosophy on life at the drop of a hat and are then willing to kill for it instantly.

The writing has consistently gotten worse and worse, critics have been ripping them to shreds - but clearly the viewing numbers have remained so they have just carried on. Such a pity as at the start it was up there with Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos for me.

That is some statement. I like the first 2-3 seasons of TWD, and the 3 after are bearable but repetitious (how many times has Rick made exactly the same mistakes?). But comparing it to those shows feels slightly blasphemous. Although, as you say, it is your opinion, which you're totally entitled to.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Fella who plays Morgan was on the radio saying he's already been filming for FTWD.

Thats cool. I heard that Madison was crossing over to TWD as leader of the Wisperers. The problem I see is TWD is about 7 years ahead Post Apocalypse, but muh, technicality.

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
I just can't stand Negan. I haven't enjoyed it since he arrived on the scene. The sooner they finish him off and move onto a new storyline the better. Might just save the show too!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Packed it in around Season 3-4 (after they left the prison camp and went on the run into the woods).

Just episode after episode of running away from (and/or killing) zombies *insert dull love story/romance/betrayal*

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I thought season 7 was one of the best seasons tbh.

Season 6 was rubbish, I almost stopped watching it because I thought the series had jumped the shark. In fairness to them season 7 was pretty good and redeemed the show.

Although it did annoy me that it took Daenerys 7 seasons to cross the narrow sea, when Tyrion seemed to do it in the space of an episode. Also a lot of Daenery's story seemed to be padded out as really it could have been told in about two seasons tops.

Last edited:

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Still watching it, despite the plot holes and general plot drifting. I thought it jumped the shark with the appearance of the tiger at The Kingdom.

(and the dump people creating their own language for no reason)

I agree that a couple of episodes from this season (or was it last season?) were very A-Team.

In fact, when that helicopter showed up a couple of episodes ago, I half expected "Howling Mad" Murdoch and co to jump out to save an embattled laundry owner from a gang of local hoods.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Has anyone got into the spin off series Fear the Walking Dead? Apparently it's more popular than the original series now.
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-wa...re-popular-than-walking-dead-rotten-tomatoes/

Yes i've watched it from the start. Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty hit and miss (and when it missed, it missed by a very long way) but it got much better over season 3. However i think that the prevailing issues with both programs is that the genre is just getting tired. I've had my fill of zombie programs over the years now. I appreciate that as they progress the dead become less of a big player in the plot, but you could be watching anything then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Still watching it, despite the plot holes and general plot drifting. I thought it jumped the shark with the appearance of the tiger at The Kingdom.

(and the dump people creating their own language for no reason)

I agree that a couple of episodes from this season (or was it last season?) were very A-Team.

In fact, when that helicopter showed up a couple of episodes ago, I half expected "Howling Mad" Murdoch and co to jump out to save an embattled laundry owner from a gang of local hoods.

The thing is with 'jumping the shark', its about the implausible happening, so in Happy Days, the Fonze going water skiing and jumping a shark was just so out of context with the rest of the show as to have been a ridiculous moment.

With WTD, you are of course on a path where jumping the shark is quite difficult because the show is already relying on disbelief, and as such it's not that the show has had a jumping the shark moment, it's more that plot lines have become less believable in the background context of the show. There was of course the tank in the prison season, Glen surviving the dumpster scene, then in this season a never ending supply of ammunition and weapons in spite of the show's finale ultimately relying on the notion that ammunition was scarce - home made bullets when they've been spent at a rate even the aforementioned A-Team couldn't match.

I just glad it's over, and hoping they can it because I know I'll get sucked in again. Although watching the first and last episode of this season, and you wouldn't be that hard pushed to fill in the gaps.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We decided to get a free two week trial of Foxtel and have caught up now, so got it for free and do not have to continue if we don't want to after another week.
Might do the same for next season.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Some of the action this season has been laughable, and I'm particularly thinking about a) Rick not managing to hit Negan or any of his lieutenants whilst spraying bullets and b) the shootout at the outpost where they seemed to be shooting at each other from a few feet and not hitting anything.
Some of the acting however remains great. Lenny James playing Morgan is excellent. JDM as Negan still has some fantastic lines.
I always watch Talking Dead afterwards which I find to be good in getting that extra bit of insight from the actors and producers and is partly what helps to keep me watching the main show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here