Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] signings likely , or needed, in summer ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
2nd PL season would give us the option of signing players that were most likely out of our reach last time around.
Can see 9/10 players on the way out.
I’d start with another CM.
On from there a LB and a RB.
1st choice winger for RM
A different option to Grob at 10
CF to give competition. Locadia I assume will be 1st choice and Murray 3rd choice so another one to push them both or even start in front of both.
That is 6 and I’m sure there will be others or potentially players stepping up

Kindly send your blank cheque to PB. On behalf of grateful Brighton fans, I thank you!

On the other hand, maybe TB, PB, CH and the recruitment team will decide what we can afford (or rather, what TB can afford), and then prioritise where to spend the money - and we won't be replacing nearly all the team. My priorities would be a CM who is better than Stephens and Propper (with his very own shooting boots too) - and he won't come cheap - and a better centre forward than we've got at the moment (and he won't come cheap either!) Most other positions we may well have to carry on working with what we've got - and that hasn't gone so badly this season. I expect the odd surprise or two as well - like when we broke our transfer record for Duffy; not many of us saw that coming!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kindly send your blank cheque to PB. On behalf of grateful Brighton fans, I thank you!

On the other hand, maybe TB, PB, CH and the recruitment team will decide what we can afford (or rather, what TB can afford), and then prioritise where to spend the money - and we won't be replacing nearly all the team. My priorities would be a CM who is better than Stephens and Propper (with his very own shooting boots too) - and he won't come cheap - and a better centre forward than we've got at the moment (and he won't come cheap either!) Most other positions we may well have to carry on working with what we've got - and that hasn't gone so badly this season. I expect the odd surprise or two as well - like when we broke our transfer record for Duffy; not many of us saw that coming!

Agree. Improvements at centre forward and CM are the priority.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have seen enough in Locadia which suggests to me that played as the main striker, as he probably will be next season, he will be a resounding success Murray will be on the bench along with ANOTHER possibly Ulloa. So that leaves a cover / competition at CM for Propper and Stephens with Kayal dropping to 4th choice if only 1 CM is signed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have seen enough in Locadia which suggests to me that played as the main striker, as he probably will be next season, he will be a resounding success Murray will be on the bench along with ANOTHER possibly Ulloa. So that leaves a cover / competition at CM for Propper and Stephens with Kayal dropping to 4th choice if only 1 CM is signed.
Quite agree that CM and CF are the priorities - if you're right about Locadia that may free up more funds for investment elsewhere; if you're not, that will be the other position that will need big money to fill.
Those who are expecting a brand new team, or at least six or seven new bigger, better, faster faces are, IMHO, living in cloud cuckoo land!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Not the team more the squad. There are likely to be 5 players on the way who are out of contract and 4/5 that are likely to move along freeing up cash and wages to some extent. CM upgrade is the biggest priority for me and I’ll guess we will potentially get another loan player or 2 in to cover a couple of positions. I’m sure the recruitment team have identified a number of players for whatever division we are in for next season. We brought in 11 players over the course of this season and we will evolve the squad again to a sensible level.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where do people think the money will come from to buy 4, 5 or 6 players of Premier quality to bring in during the summer. I think that some who are out of contract may ger offered another 12 months or so unless we can sell some players.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Out of contract, to be replaced :

Maenpaa
Rosenior
Huenemeier
Sidwell
( New contract for Krul )

Under contract, significant chance of sale :

Hemed
Baldock
Skalak
(Norwood)
(Towell)

That's enough to be getting on with for now.

i rate Hunie higher than Goldson (Goldson has age on his side though) and I always thought Rosenior was a better LB defensively than Bong. Though we need better than Goldson and Bong and a better RB, i thought Schelotto was pretty awful yesterday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not the team more the squad. There are likely to be 5 players on the way who are out of contract and 4/5 that are likely to move along freeing up cash and wages to some extent. CM upgrade is the biggest priority for me and I’ll guess we will potentially get another loan player or 2 in to cover a couple of positions. I’m sure the recruitment team have identified a number of players for whatever division we are in for next season. We brought in 11 players over the course of this season and we will evolve the squad again to a sensible level.
We need to improve the team primarily, so that we can win a few of those matches we only managed to draw this season. Some existing first team players will become squad members - but buying in players who are better than they are won't come cheap, so I'm not expecting bulk buying of back-up squad members. I believe that quality rather than quantity will be essential for next season. We may have to rely on a few youngsters stepping up, at least as far as warming the bench, no matter how reluctant some may be to do that

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just a thought. Goldson has played right back. Okay, not in the Premier League. But ....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite agree that CM and CF are the priorities - if you're right about Locadia that may free up more funds for investment elsewhere; if you're not, that will be the other position that will need big money to fill.
Those who are expecting a brand new team, or at least six or seven new bigger, better, faster faces are, IMHO, living in cloud cuckoo land!

With the game shirley up for Baldock and Hemed at PL level, Murray a year older and Ulloa's ineffective loan over ..... I hope we buy a quality centre forward. To give 3 with Locadia and Murray.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What he loses out to GM in the air he makes up for with his ball control and speed on the ground. IMHO. It would just mean a change to our focus and route to goal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder if a deal was agreed with Leicester and Ulloa that we will sign him in the summer in order to get him on loan

I hope not.

This summer he'll be 32 and sadly he hasn't really offered anything in his cameos. To have 2 slow strikers taking up squad places and significant wages, age 32 and 35 next season, would be idiotic.

If we stay up, we'll receive another slug of £100m, so we must invest in a younger, quality centre forward with pace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope not.

This summer he'll be 32 and sadly he hasn't really offered anything in his cameos. To have 2 slow strikers taking up squad places and significant wages, age 32 and 35 next season, would be idiotic.

If we stay up, we'll receive another slug of £100m, so we must invest in a younger, quality centre forward with pace.
He never should have come back, in the first place.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
What he loses out to GM in the air he makes up for with his ball control and speed on the ground. IMHO. It would just mean a change to our focus and route to goal.

I do not get the 'just' bit to be honest. If one is playing as a lone striker it is pretty helpful to have some ability in the air. Anybody decent in that role does. We will be after a Murray replacement if we stay in this division. If we go down I expect Locadia to have a really good season playing off the main striker.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the game shirley up for Baldock and Hemed at PL level, Murray a year older and Ulloa's ineffective loan over ..... I hope we buy a quality centre forward. To give 3 with Locadia and Murray.
Actually, I wouldn't mind if we kept Baldock (easy to do - he's under contract until 2020) - he hasn't really had a shot at the PL yet; neither had Stephens, Dunk, Duffy (I think), March and Bruno, and they all stepped up when given a chance. And Baldock as a fourth striker would be a different option to Locadia and Murray (and he's an HGP!). I still think we need to spend big to get the centre forward to get us close to 20 goals a season (unless BG is right about Locadia).
So, as I think we're probably going to have to spend big on a CF, and a huge amount for a goal-scoring game-controlling CM who's better than Stephens or Propper - and for that reason I think all these expectations about getting a new LB, new RB, new winger, new no.10, taller GK and lord knows what else are all pretty much pi$$ing in the wind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here