Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Cameron Bancroft: Australia player admits to ball-tampering, Steve Smith knew in advance
7 minutes ago From the sectionCricket
Share this page
Umpires Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth speak to Australia's Cameron Bancroft (second right) and captain Steve Smith
Umpires Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth speak to Cameron Bancroft (second right) and captain Steve Smith
Australia's Cameron Bancroft has admitted he tampered with the ball during the third Test against South Africa - and captain Steve Smith says he knew of the plan in advance.

Television footage showed Bancroft take what he said was yellow tape out of his trouser pocket before rubbing the ball.

The 25-year-old said after play he had been charged with attempting to change the condition of the ball.

Smith said it was a "big mistake" but added he would not stand down.

He said the team's "leadership group" had spoken about it and "thought it was a way to get an advantage".

Speaking at a news conference after the day's play, both players apologised.

"I will deal with the damage that comes to my reputation as a consequence," Bancroft said. "I don't think I was coerced. I was nervous about it because there are hundreds of cameras around.

"Unfortunately I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I am accountable for my actions as well. I'm not proud of what has happened.

"Once I was sighted on the big screens, I panicked quite a lot."

Smith added: "We made a poor choice. We deeply regret our actions. Coaches weren't involved. It was purely the players in the leadership group.

"I can promise you it won't happen again. It's the first time this has happened.

"We will move on from this and hopefully learn something from it. I'm embarrassed. I feel for Cam. It's not what the Australian cricket team is about. I am incredibly sorry for trying to bring the game into disrepute."

After footage of the incident was broadcast, Bancroft put the tape down the front of his trousers before being spoken to by on-field umpires Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth.

At that point he turned out his pockets, revealing a black cloth.

The umpires did not change the ball, and images of the incident on the big screen resulted in some booing from spectators.

The incident took place as South Africa built up a lead of more than 200 in their second innings against Australia.

Australia legend Shane Warne tweeted he was "very disappointed with the pictures".

It is the latest incident in a fractious four-match series in which several players have already been sanctioned by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

Earlier in the Test, Australia opener David Warner was confronted by a spectator as he returned to the dressing room after being dismissed.

The tourists' coach Darren Lehmann later criticised the "disgraceful" verbal abuse directed at his players by the South African crowd, and Cricket Australia sent a letter of complaint to Cricket South Africa.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan tweeted Australia's complaint made him "chuckle", prompting an exchange with Candice Warner, the wife of the Australian vice-captain.

Michael Vaughan's tweet
Michael Vaughan replies to Candice Warner on Twitter
Following the first Test, Warner and South Africa's Quinton de Kock were both charged by the ICC after an altercation in a stairwell on the way back to the dressing rooms.

South African pace bowler Kagiso Rabada was banned for two matches after being found guilty of deliberately making contact with Steve Smith in the second Test, but successfully appealed against the decision.
Share this page
Find out more

Test Match Special: Clips and Podcast

Read more on Test Match Special: Clips and Podcast
TMS Facebook

Read more on TMS Facebook
TMS Twitter

Read more on TMS Twitter
England and Wales Cricket Board

Read more on England and Wales Cricket Board

Seems they are still convicts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Smith admits to knowing that that was going to happen then he must resign. If he is just saying that to cover his cheating bowler and didn’t know, then he is a fool and a liar and should stand down for that reason. Absolutely nowhere to go after the press interview in my opinion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If Smith admits to knowing that that was going to happen then he must resign. If he is just saying that to cover his cheating bowler and didn’t know, then he is a fool and a liar and should stand down for that reason. Absolutely nowhere to go after the press interview in my opinion.

With cameras everywhere these days of amazing ability how an earth did he think that they would get away with it........part of me wonders if Smith did know, but through some sense of team loyalty is not wanting to leave Bancroft to hang out to dry on his own

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I assume Michael Atherton will be staying quiet....

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I only outraged at how DUMB they are. Crikey, what happened to Vaseline on the eye brow ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You see Vaughan getting into a spat with Warners wife over it

The Aussies really are the lowest of the low when it comes to sledging, as Johnny Bairstow would probably testify.

Well, he would, if he didn’t have more class in his little finger,than the whole of the Aussie squad put together.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I got caught cheating, but I promise I haven't done it before and promise I won't do it again, so we're all good, right?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Smith is/ was on his way to becoming one of the greatest batsmen in Test history, He has to stand down as captain and surely there must be some kind of ban for him and Bancroft . Also how deep is Lehmann in all this ?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Smith is/ was on his way to becoming one of the greatest batsmen in Test history, He has to stand down as captain and surely there must be some kind of ban for him and Bancroft . Also how deep is Lehmann in all this ?

Smith claims the coaches didn’t know, yet Lehmann was caught on camera, sending instruction to get Bancroft to hide the offending item.

Lehmann and Smith must surely lose their positions, plus playing bans for him and Bancroft.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I bet Pat Cummins is relieved - takes the heat off him for this incident earlier in the same test:

[tweet]976807928840839168[/tweet]

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Smith claims the coaches didn’t know, yet Lehmann was caught on camera, sending instruction to get Bancroft to hide the offending item.

Lehmann and Smith must surely lose their positions, plus playing bans for him and Bancroft.

I reckon he looks guilty rather than surprised

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
For such an abrasive bunch, Darren Lehmann and co really do get a lot of sand in their man-vaginas when on the receiving end. Seems a Wet & Dry case. They'll need to belt up and show some grit to get through this

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here