Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... Does Russian World Cup 2018 equate to Hitler's 1936 Olympics?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not saying they didn't. Perhaps we should point that to them too though, as well as comparing Putin and The World Cup to Hitler and The Berlin Olympics - the more diplomatic offence caused by making references to World War 2 the better..:thumbsup:

No, I was just pointing it out to you, on a football chat board, as you seemed to be taking a particularly one sided pro-Russians point of view, pointing out the faults of their opponents only. I doubt very much whether Putin reads NSC, and I'm not a Foreign Secretary or a diplomat, OK.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit of a stupid comparison tbh. The Russians will use it as a propaganda exercise but this is nothing compared to 1936. It should also be remembered that Boris, a stalwart fighter for democracy, spent £320,000 for three watercannons to be used on the streets of London BEFORE he found out it was illegal to use them !

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I've been saying for months that Putin represents possibly the biggest single threat to European, nay, World peace since Hitler. For all the reasons above, I don't think you can compare Hitler to Putin, but there are some stark similarities about how they go about their business: Oppressive regime, Silencing / Murder of political opponents, ethnic cleansing of minorities in neighbouring states, redrawing borders bits at a time to suit themselves, a propaganda machine consistently in overdrive (yes you could could argue that last one of all countries).

Given his position, I do think it is a little disingenuous of Boris to be coming out with this crap, but I do think we are right to be pissed off at the liberties the Russian state appears to be taking on foreign soil, not just ours.

And before anybody says 'oh what about Trump and May being a danger to world peace' - even though we keep them and develop chemical weapons, which states has so far been the only one prepared to use them (clue: they seem to be best buddies) - and when it comes to peace, which one of those states has a nuclear arsenal capable of wiping out the world x number of times over??

Over reaction? Possibly, I just don't think that Putin is anybody to be treated with kid gloves - and Britain appears to be waking up to the fact that this guy is a bloddy danger to everybody. We certainly shouldn't be siding with the Russian authorities about a few words from a politician.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No, I was just pointing it out to you, on a football chat board, as you seemed to be taking a particularly one sided pro-Russians point of view, pointing out the faults of their opponents only. I doubt very much whether Putin reads NSC, and I'm not a Foreign Secretary or a diplomat, OK.

I was just merely simply pointing out what offence and anger ordinary Russian people will take to a comparison with Hitler. The Kremlin media spin machine won't have to do much work with those comments. It wasn't about taking sides or having a lesson in Russian history.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Having watched the clip, Boris is clearly referring to a question that has been asked of him and his answer to that question, for me, has been conveniently taken out of context.
Hitler used the 1936 Olympics as a stage to grandstand and promote himself as well as the Nazi ideology on the world stage. Putin will use the 2018 World Cup to grandstand and promote himself and Russia on the world stage.
That is the comparison I hear Boris making. I don't see Boris comparing Russia with the Nazi regime. Context is everything.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

Purely a point of history and not in any way a political comment but they did fight with the Germans at the beginning of the war. They only changed sides when Germany turned against them and tried to invade. Subsequently the Soviet Union used the fall of Germany to create a satellite state empire, subjugating many millions of Eastern Europeans. It is quite difficult for the Kremlin to take the moral high ground.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Purely a point of history and not in any way a political comment but they did fight with the Germans at the beginning of the war. They only changed sides when Germany turned against them and tried to invade. Subsequently the Soviet Union used the fall of Germany to create a satellite state empire, subjugating many millions of Eastern Europeans. It is quite difficult for the Kremlin to take the moral high ground.

I know - but they will as well as getting angry, as will ordinary Russian people, at Hitler being mentioned in the same breath as them at this time of heightened diplomatic tensions with The UK.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Boris has proved once again what poor judgement he has. The Johnson 'joke' has long since ceased to be funny, he makes me feel embarrassed to be British and indeed he's proving himself to be a complete diplomatic liability. Other Cabinet Ministers have been reshuffled away for far less, but May is so weak she is forced to endure his incompetence.

If you compare any leader or regime to Hitler and the Nazis you are asking for trouble, and it is an embarrassment that he has made this comparison whilst we are trying to get support from our European allies for sanctions against Russia. It was already a hard task getting this support whilst simultaneously pulling out of the EU defence force and moving Brexit onto the next stage.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I've been saying for months that Putin represents possibly the biggest single threat to European, nay, World peace since Hitler. For all the reasons above, I don't think you can compare Hitler to Putin, but there are some stark similarities about how they go about their business: Oppressive regime, Silencing / Murder of political opponents, ethnic cleansing of minorities in neighbouring states, redrawing borders bits at a time to suit themselves, a propaganda machine consistently in overdrive (yes you could could argue that last one of all countries).

Given his position, I do think it is a little disingenuous of Boris to be coming out with this crap, but I do think we are right to be pissed off at the liberties the Russian state appears to be taking on foreign soil, not just ours.

And before anybody says 'oh what about Trump and May being a danger to world peace' - even though we keep them and develop chemical weapons, which states has so far been the only one prepared to use them (clue: they seem to be best buddies) - and when it comes to peace, which one of those states has a nuclear arsenal capable of wiping out the world x number of times over??

Over reaction? Possibly, I just don't think that Putin is anybody to be treated with kid gloves - and Britain appears to be waking up to the fact that this guy is a bloddy danger to everybody. We certainly shouldn't be siding with the Russian authorities about a few words from a politician.

Whilst some are particularly excited about Boris Johnsons agreements with a reporter who suggested that Putin is comparable with Hitler in his use of the World Cup in a similar way to that of of the 1936 Olympics, I would agree with the sentiment. Hitler used it as a propaganda vehicle and so will Putin. How many people will see and hear the World Cup Final compared to those who followed the Olympics in 1936, it wil be massively more. There is a pattern of behaviour with Russia, in using such events, the Socchi Winter Olympics where they were caught out red handidly massively cheating on an industrial scale, banned from the next winter Olympics they next turn up hosting the World Cup.
But more interestingly is the Russain response to these comments, they don't like it and they are going to get caught out. How long were experts and journalists kept away from the downing of downed Malaysian aircraft over Ukraine, it never happened again, but was met with denials and more denials. That some on here are now evincing pro Russian sympathies as a veiled Party Political point scoring exercise is truly sad. Russain actions over the last decade have been evermore brazen, far reaching and testing than before. They've been called out by a British Government ready to expose them, this shold be enough, how many times do we have to do this.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't think I've ever agreed with Boris Johnson about anything. He doesn't even agree with himself half the time. A loathsome boil on the arse of politics and an utter embarrassment to this country every time he opens his fat mouth.

Totally concur - I think the correct description is that he's a "mendacious sack of toff shit"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here