Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Hodgson

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Baffling. Especially Kane on corners duty.

Its so ludicrous I'm starting to think Hodgson is just being stubborn about it now.

I don't see Kane taking corners is a massive issue. After all, from set pieces, Albion are most dangerous with Skalak whipping them into Dunk's head, not Baldock's, not Hemed's. The point here is that you make your best set-piece takers take the corners and the real issue is that on the day, Kane was no better at taking corners than anybody else. I can only assume he'd been great at corner taking in training? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see Kane taking corners is a massive issue. After all, from set pieces, Albion are most dangerous with Skalak whipping them into Dunk's head, not Baldock's, not Hemed's. The point here is that you make your best set-piece takers take the corners and the real issue is that on the day, Kane was no better at taking corners than anybody else. I can only assume he'd been great at corner taking in training? :shrug:

Having our best striker taking corners is a total nonsense, Kane should be in the box where he can do some damage. Any one of our INTERNATIONAL midfielders should be perfectly capable of delivering a decent ball in from a corner kick. Kane has a grand total of 0 assists from dead balls for Spurs, and his corners for England have by and large been pony so far. Quite how Roy has arrived at the conclusion that he's the guy who should be taking them is anyones guess. Its genuinely baffling.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having our best striker taking corners is a total nonsense, Kane should be in the box where he can do some damage. Any one of our INTERNATIONAL midfielders should be perfectly capable of delivering a decent ball in from a corner kick. Kane has a grand total of 0 assists from dead balls for Spurs, and his corners for England have by and large been pony so far. Quite how Roy has arrived at the conclusion that he's the guy who should be taking them is anyones guess. Its genuinely baffling.

No it really isn't nonsense having your best striker take corners if he also happens to be the best corner taker in the team. But he isn't, and that is what is so baffling.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Talking of FA recognised coaches I did my Level One badge on Saturday, though the course was spread over a couple of weeks and two different tutors. Both of them told us to stop saying "unlucky" to our boys and girls when they missed. The actual reason for missing is poor technique. Obviously you don't say that to kids so the right thing to do is say somehting like "good try" and then look for a time when you can have a quiet word and ask them how they think they could have done it even better.
Did you do yours at Chelsea's training ground at Cobham? I was running a session there during my course and someone hit an absolute screamer from about 35 yards that hit the underside of the bar, bounced down onto the line and out. "Unlucky," I said - "not unlucky, just poor technique," said the tutor...:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did you do yours at Chelsea's training ground at Cobham? I was running a session there during my course and someone hit an absolute screamer from about 35 yards that hit the underside of the bar, bounced down onto the line and out. "Unlucky," I said - "not unlucky, just poor technique," said the tutor...:lolol:

:lolol: clearly a standard line!!

No, I was in the slightly less glamourous setting of Durrington.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Some people have such unbelievable expectations of our national team.

We played very well on sat and should have won, we didn't because of our finishing and a defensive error - One can be worked on the other can't be due to the lack of quality defenders in this country.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No it really isn't nonsense having your best striker take corners if he also happens to be the best corner taker in the team. But he isn't, and that is what is so baffling.

Even if he WAS the best corner-taker in the team, I'd still have the 2nd best corner-taker taking them, because Kane is our best forward, and therefore he is the one most likely to finish if he gets on the end of one of them. He comes alive in the box, he reacts, he makes space, he's an instinctive finisher, thats his job. But he's even taking the free kicks from out wide as well for crying out loud, it really is nonsense. Its muddled thinking.

Look at that free kick Dier ploughed in the other night. I'm pretty sure he could swing in an EVIL corner, if he really put his mind to it.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Some people have such unbelievable expectations of our national team.

We played very well on sat and should have won, we didn't because of our finishing and a defensive error
This exactly. The Germans had a very similar game against Ukraine. Despite a lot of possession and shots they needed a set piece to score and the almost threw it away minutes from the end from a much bigger defensive mistake than England committed all game. Schweinsteiger is brought on to kill the game...and ends up scoring. Loew is a genius and Hodgson is an idiot. It's all very fine margins.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This exactly. The Germans had a very similar game against Ukraine. Despite a lot of possession and shots they needed a set piece to score and the almost threw it away minutes from the end from a much bigger defensive mistake than England committed all game. Schweinsteiger is brought on to kill the game...and ends up scoring. Loew is a genius and Hodgson is an idiot. It's all very fine margins.

Quite a few games have been the same, Croatia destroyed Turkey, yet it took a last ditch tackle by Corluka to secure the win, for all the play Poland had NI had to decent chances in the last few moments, and you have mentioned Germany already.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Even if he WAS the best corner-taker in the team, I'd still have the 2nd best corner-taker taking them, because Kane is our best forward, and therefore he is the one most likely to finish if he gets on the end of one of them. He comes alive in the box, he reacts, he makes space, he's an instinctive finisher, thats his job. But he's even taking the free kicks from out wide as well for crying out loud, it really is nonsense. Its muddled thinking.

Look at that free kick Dier ploughed in the other night. I'm pretty sure he could swing in an EVIL corner, if he really put his mind to it.

Dier is a danger at free kicks, it makes sense to have Walker/Lallana taking them

I dont know the number but in my mind Kane scored a fair number of goals from set plays this season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dier is a danger at free kicks, it makes sense to have Walker/Lallana taking them

I dont know the number but in my mind Kane scored a fair number of goals from set plays this season

Exactly. Get the delivery into the box right, and Kane will often do the rest. He's a real threat in the air, an accomplished header of the ball. And if something falls to him in or around the box, he's clinical.

Yet we wilfully sacrifice that threat so he can lob one over. Its nuts.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Corner taking is VERY MUCH a luck thing. Your teammates movement and ability make an average corner look a brilliant one.

No player actually PICKS OUT his teammate on a corner (unless it's edge of the area stuff). You put it into the dangerous area and hope your teammates do the rest. It's nothing like a free kick at all. A corner kicker does not have differing angles to work with. Its the same ball position each time. Free kick takers are more often aiming for a player or a shot on target. It's a much harder skill.

If Kane is the best at free kicks then fine. Let him take them. That's a huge skill to utilise.

However, I refuse to believe there is NO ONE else who can put the ball into a dangerous area with a bit of whip on it. Rooney or Lallana can surely take a corner and get it about right. You want Kane in there. The ball drops and who do I want there? Our number 9.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having our best striker taking corners is a total nonsense, Kane should be in the box where he can do some damage.

This is usually the point that somebody pops up and says something along the lines of So. You Think You Know Better Than The Manager Do You? Thank God That X Is In Charge Of Team Tactics And Not You.

On this occasion, can't be many people who think that Hodgson was having anything other than a Senior Moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is usually the point that somebody pops up and says something along the lines of So. You Think You Know Better Than The Manager Do You? Thank God That X Is In Charge Of Team Tactics And Not You.

On this occasion, can't be many people who think that Hodgson was having anything other than a Senior Moment.

Well, quite. Everyone is saying it because its so BLINDINGLY obvious, and yet still we see Kane dutifully lining up to take them.

Its started as an odd idea, and now I think its just downright stubbornness that Roy is continuing with it. And if by some chance we DO actually score from a Kane-taken corner, that will not vindicate it in the slightest. Because we'll never know how many Kane would potentially have got on the end of were someone else taking them.

As [MENTION=1530]mejonaNO12 aka riskit[/MENTION] rightly alludes to, taking a corner is hardly an exact science anyway. Its just a case of missing the first man, keeping it away from the keeper and putting it in a dangerous area for your team-mates to attack. Any one of Dier, Alli, Sterling, Rooney, even Rose or Walker should be well capable of doing that, being as good delivery from wide areas is a natural requirement of any modern fullback.

I just cannot understand Roys thinking on this.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

The difference being though that Germany created loads of really good chances, we didn't.

Play like that again and Germany will win by a hat full, we won't.

I thought we played well up to the final third where it matters.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think he's done a good job overall :shrug:

Brought through the kids and created an attacking team with what he had. Yes, prob should have put Vardy on the other night and Kane taking FK's isn't ideal but not his fault they scored with almost their only half chance.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The difference being though that Germany created loads of really good chances, we didn't.

Play like that again and Germany will win by a hat full, we won't.

I thought we played well up to the final third where it matters.

Not a lot wrong wih our performance at all to be honest.

Had we held on and won 1-0 99% of people would have been raving about our performance.

We created plenty of chances to win the game and should have created even more with a better final ball.

Id go with the same 11 against Wales. Sterling is getting close the axe though.....if hes not performing i would move Rooney into his spot and bring Wilshere on... simples.

Oh and get Rooney to take the set pieces please. Get in the bloody box Harry !

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I don't think Kane's corners is an issue, I don't have a problem with it. Henry did it for Arsenal. It's whoever is best at them, and if Milner isn't starting it's obvious that Kane is the best at it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think Kane's corners is an issue, I don't have a problem with it. Henry did it for Arsenal. It's whoever is best at them, and if Milner isn't starting it's obvious that Kane is the best at it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember Henry as being a particularly good header of the ball. In fact, he seemed to avoid it most of the time. Kane is a good header of the ball, so Roy is losing that potential danger in the box.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't get past the fact that despite all knowledgeable commentators saying our defence is weak Hodgson chose to defend a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes remaining.

If your defence is weak then, ergo, you are not afforded the luxury of trying to defend a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes remaining. By definition, you have to keep going and score a second because with a sh1te defence you are liable to concede at any given moment.

Anything we achieve in this tournament will be in spite of our defence and in spite of Hodgson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here