Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not taking March off was the correct decision, we got a point from losing position with him on the pitch , there’s no real argument about that , however I still love the fact that Knockaert was angry at being substituted, players that don’t care just amble off the pitch and think about the next easy pay day CH got it right .

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I couldn’t disagree more. I thought he was one of our better players today offensively and worked very hard defensively - yes, he missed a glorious chance, but how many players missed presentable opportunities today?! However, I also thought Knockaert had one of his better Premier League games and woukdnt have brought him off either. If anything, Murray and Gross were the two who looked totally off colour today.

Murray off colour?

Wins a penalty, scores first goal, scores penalty to draw.

Like to see what happens when he's playing well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I watched on tv and they panned in on Knocky a couple of times in the second half and he looked angry and aggrieved about any decision that went against him, he them dived when he lost the ball and started remonstrating with the Lino. I was concerned about him losing it a good ten mins before CH subbed him. I think the way he threw a strop and was told to shut it by CH when he was subbed would suggest he had lost his cool and we all know what happens when he does that. We do not need to lose an important player in such good form for a few games imo.

I may be wrong but that’s how I saw it hence my backing for the substitution :shrug:

He was definitely hacked off about being subbed, but I thought justifiably so, had him as one of best performers along with Stephens, Montoya and Murray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
March's defensive qualities cannot be underestimated .

Great - we have a winger that can’t cross a ball, can’t score a goal, can’t beat his man but can defend occasionally. Just what we need in our home squad week in week out! And when was the last time we won away from home? Barely can defend either IMO. So what Prem qualities am I missing?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not taking March off was the correct decision, we got a point from losing position with him on the pitch , there’s no real argument about that , however I still love the fact that Knockaert was angry at being substituted, players that don’t care just amble off the pitch and think about the next easy pay day CH got it right .

What an absolute nonsense comment! You might as well say not subbing Bong was the right decision because we got a draw. March is a winger and, ergo, a creative player. That is to say his main role is to create chances but he failed to do this, as he has done in four games apart from the cross for Murray's goal against Man Utd. His final ball is abysmal and he should have gone instead of Knockaert who was playing brilliantly and on a high. Yes he made a couple of sliding tackles but he set up the first goal and was at his impudent best.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Great - we have a winger that can’t cross a ball, can’t score a goal, can’t beat his man but can defend occasionally. Just what we need in our home squad week in week out! And when was the last time we won away from home? Barely can defend either IMO. An utter embarrassment of a player

Exactly. However, his time is numbered as when Izzy is fit he'll be propping up the U23s. Shame, because he has bags of talent but doesn't seem to have the brain to use it!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All the time we play Bong, and need two left backs on the pitch doing the job of one player, March will be the pick to protect him.

Watch Bong, and watch Montoya. We should be wanting to have a similar level of quality all over the pitch but our left back, by choice, is not up to the standard of the rest of the team but continues to be picked. If I were Suttner or Bernardo, I'd be wondering what I'd have to do!

As for Solly March, he started the game fantastically and then shrank back into playing far far FAR too deep.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
BBC commentators were say AK was brilliant and driving Brighton back into the game....then he got subbed.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Great - we have a winger that can’t cross a ball, can’t score a goal, can’t beat his man but can defend occasionally. Just what we need in our home squad week in week out! And when was the last time we won away from home? Barely can defend either IMO. So what Prem qualities am I missing?

.....I didn't comment on his attacking skills !!!!.....

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I watched on tv and they panned in on Knocky a couple of times in the second half and he looked angry and aggrieved about any decision that went against him, he them dived when he lost the ball and started remonstrating with the Lino. I was concerned about him losing it a good ten mins before CH subbed him. I think the way he threw a strop and was told to shut it by CH when he was subbed would suggest he had lost his cool and we all know what happens when he does that. We do not need to lose an important player in such good form for a few games imo.

I may be wrong but that’s how I saw it hence my backing for the substitution :shrug:

I saw him lose it with the linesman & also diving in. I wasn't surprised when Hughton subbed him, but I was surprised at the booing in the North stand at the substitution.
I think Hughton deserves more credit than that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
All the time we play Bong, and need two left backs on the pitch doing the job of one player, March will be the pick to protect him.

If I were Suttner or Bernardo, I'd be wondering what I'd have to do!
Perhaps defend better than Bong? Which thus far they haven't. You have a blind spot regarding Bong who I think has been excellent since replacing Bernardo (did you not see his defending for the 2nd at Watford?)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Knockaert was angry before he got subbed which was why he got subbed.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

Watch Bong, and watch Montoya. We should be wanting to have a similar level of quality all over the pitch but our left back, by choice, is not up to the standard of the rest of the team but continues to be picked. If I were Suttner or Bernardo, I'd be wondering what I'd have to do!

As for Solly March, he started the game fantastically and then shrank back into playing far far FAR too deep.

What a weird thing too say. I would say Bong has been very good for us in the prem. By far the best defensive left back we have. Hes crossing and some passing can be poor but his defence side of things is very sound.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perhaps defend better than Bong? Which thus far they haven't. You have a blind spot regarding Bong who I think has been excellent since replacing Bernardo (did you not see his defending for the 2nd at Watford?)

... and I think your expectations/standards are far too long. Are you telling me you wouldn't want a left footed Montoya playing left back?! How much stronger would our team be if we weren't having to play March as an outrageously defensive left winger? If we had a better left back, maybe he'd be more confident staying up a bit and offering more when we do win the ball back. I'm not having a go at Bong, I just think he's a weak link but he's hardly at fault for our lack of a win today.

I'm disappointed by March though, given how he started the game. He got past the dreadful Fosu-Mensah on multiple occasions and actually delivered some good balls into the box but then he randomly dropped far too deep and didn't offer much going forward. Especially his set pieces!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a weird thing too say. I would say Bong has been very good for us in the prem. By far the best defensive left back we have. Hes crossing and some passing can be poor but his defence side of things is very sound.

His crossing is always poor which sets him apart from pretty much every other PL left back!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here