Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm gonna guess you're not 6'4. If someone reclines into me there is a constant pressure on my knees.

Not much I can do about it on a coach, as if I travel with Seagulls Travel for example you can't pay for a seat with more leg room. I don't fly very often but it's generally a struggle to afford the cost of an economy flight over the pond never mind paying more. The casual comments about paying more on here make me wonder just how much some people earn! :D

Nope. 5'10. So average. I think at 6'4 there's a sensible argument and I do take that on board. But the height argument is still laced in hypocrisy - tall people want those in front not to recline so they can be more comfortable, but at the expense of those people in front having a more comfortable long haul journey.

Although maybe the issue is you wanting to go on expensive long distance holidays :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve experienced the same, and the rudeness was staggering, the people in front of us had bulkhead seats so unlimited legroom, but as soon as they were able to they went full recline. I asked them if they’d consider just going half way, but they point blank refused, only sitting up when meals were brought around.

This may help ease the situation, I shall try them next time.

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

The occasional and random knee jerk into the back of the seat in front, coupled with banging the tray back into position occasionally, and the using of the headrest of the seat in front as a point to pull on when standing up for the loo or a walk around can give some satisfaction when you have been reclined on.

This is what I do when I get irritated with the recliner in front of me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But you seriously expect tall people (it's hardly by choice!) to pay, hundreds of pounds, to upgrade their seats so that you can recline your seat a bit?

I don't expect them to, no. I just don't expect them to expect me to be uncomfortable on a long journey just so they can be comfortable. Said tall people are as selfish as said recliners by demanding such things.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is my dream that one day the artist formerly known as hove born & bred (Tim Hodges) is on the seat behind me in economy class on a long haul flight.

I'd recline all the way back the second his first drink was poured and on the tray, and it wouldn't come back up until we landed.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I don't expect them to, no. I just don't expect them to expect me to be uncomfortable on a long journey just so they can be comfortable. Said tall people are as selfish as said recliners by demanding such things.

But you are happy for them to be uncomfortable so that you are comfortable. Perhaps if reclining is so vital it should be you who pays for a business class seat?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But you are happy for them to be uncomfortable so that you are comfortable. Perhaps if reclining is so vital it should be you who pays for a business class seat?

Let me ask you ask you a simple question. If you pay for a phone and you're in the middle of a cafe and your partner calls, would you not pick up and use the facilities you've paid for in the phone just because you may upset someone else by speaking on the phone in said cafe?

Perhaps I should. But the Economy class seats have always done what I've needed adequately. So why would I?

I must say as well, I've never once had an issue with a fellow passenger when I've reclined. But I guess that's because every long haul flight I've ever been on, the majority of people on there have reclined. In fact, it seems like the faux outrage at reclining is something kept purely for those from NSC. Most people do it. Most people do it because on a long haul flight they want to sleep. Why should I be penalised simply because I'm the unlucky t*at who has a tall person behind me?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Let me ask you ask you a simple question. If you pay for a phone and you're in the middle of a cafe and your partner calls, would you not pick up and use the facilities you've paid for in the phone just because you may upset someone else by speaking on the phone in said cafe?

Perhaps I should. But the Economy class seats have always done what I've needed adequately. So why would I?

I must say as well, I've never once had an issue with a fellow passenger when I've reclined. But I guess that's because every long haul flight I've ever been on, the majority of people on there have reclined. In fact, it seems like the faux outrage at reclining is something kept purely for those from NSC. Most people do it. Most people do it because on a long haul flight they want to sleep. Why should I be penalised simply because I'm the unlucky t*at who has a tall person behind me?

I don't think it's a remotely comparable analogy unless when you answer your phone you thrust the table against someone else's knees BUT, to answer your question, if I thought the call was urgent I'd take it, keep it as short and quiet as possible and tell the caller I'd call them back later - no one in the cafe needs to hear my conversation and I find it incredibly rude when people get on a train/bus etc or sit in a cafe and make long loud phone calls. I just think, in almost every situation in life, if you show a bit of consideration and thoughtfulness to those around you most situations resolve themselves.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
But the height argument is still laced in hypocrisy - tall people want those in front not to recline so they can be more comfortable, but at the expense of those people in front having a more comfortable long haul journey.

If both seats are upright then both passengers are equally ‘comfortable’.

If the front seat is then reclined, it increases the comfort of that passenger at the expense of the taller passenger who is now more uncomfortable as a result.

That’s not hypocrisy, it’s common sense. :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
No, never. Put up with it someone doing it to me once on a charter flight back from the Canaries by the end of which I was so claustrophobic I was borderline psychotic.

Since then, I have never and will never again fly on a charter aircraft and the longest I will fly in an Easyjet trip is around three hours. Then I usually try and book the second row of the exit row seats as the ones in front of me are fixed and don't recline.

Long haul, it's Premium Economy as a minimum these days. I appreciate I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to do that but also, I don't want to go anywhere badly enough that I'd be prepared to fly in steerage ever again.

I avoid flying and have never been on a long haul. I find airports claustrophobic let alone the plane so I travel by boat and train as much as possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not sure you can compare a few minutes on the phone, with no physical impact on others, to several hours of potential physical discomfort caused by being, basically, inconsiderate. Agree though that most of the time the vast majority will recline on long haul outside of meal times simply because it's more comfortable.

Cabin crew are also pretty well versed in dealing with this in my experience. If you complain about the recliner in front at meal times, they'll always tell them to go upright (often there will be an announcement asking all passengers to do so). At other times, surely the answer is to just use a bit of consideration ? Simple quick check with the person behind (or at least warn them you're about to do it).........there's usually a compromise to be found. It's only the utter bellends that cause a problem, then you ask the cabin crew to intervene. All that said, we've made a conscious decision to only go long-haul in min premium economy - I do realise we're lucky to be able to do that - even if it means going away less frequently.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If both seats are upright then both passengers are equally ‘comfortable’.

If the front seat is then reclined, it increases the comfort of that passenger at the expense of the taller passenger who is now more uncomfortable as a result.

That’s not hypocrisy, it’s common sense. :)

You buy a ticket with the knowledge that it is likely the seats are reclinable. Perhaps buy 1c ticket where this isn’t an issue (or business or premium), or pay a small premium to be at the front end of an economy section of seats, or seek out airlines who give more leg room etc. If you don’t value it that much then why should you seek for someone else to make your journey comfortable by potentially making theirs less comfortable.

:shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm a tall person and have never had an issue with people reclining. I just move my legs a bit.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here