Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The best album in it's entirely ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Radiohead - The Bends
Idlewild - The Remote Part
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Funeral For a Friend - Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You'd think no other music had ever been made in the intervening 40 or so years. Reading this thread you'd think time stood still circa 1978. NSC - home of the middle aged man, plus Edna and Thunder Bolt.

Don't know why anybody bothered after 1959 :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great choice. I used to be a huge Caravan fan and saw them a few times in the early 80's. Even then, hardly anyone else I knew had had heard of them - great to see them pop up on here.

Cheers! I saw them for the first time at Brighton Poly in around 73. I was 15, and had to go on my own because nobody I knew liked them. I saw them a few more times, at Reading festival in 75ish, Victoria London in 76, but not again till Wycombe in around 96. I saw them again at Diss, in London when the live album was recorded, and at the Canterbury festival (usually very dull) around 2006. That was the last time I saw them with Dougie Boyle on guitar and, sadly Richard Sinclair on drums (he died, sadly, a few years ago). I saw them again playing King's school in Canterbury about 5 years ago, but didn't like the new drummer. They are playing at Mount Ephraim this summer (3 day festval - with Arthur Brown and other cracking dinosaurs).

Living in Faversham for nearly 30 years meant I got to drink in Richard's pub in town, and I still see Morris, the roady, in town, fit as a fiddle and must be in his late 70s. Geoff plays with various folk whenever there is live music in town, as does Jim Leverton (the bassist of 20 years - former mate of Stevie Marriott, whose ex and kids live locally). Jum and Geoff played outside my local, aptly called 'The Albion' 18 months ago, during the raft race festival on the creek.

Caravan were let down by naivety (crap management) and, some might say, Pye Hastings' weak voice. But they made some brilliant albums. My actul favourite is probably the first album, on MGM Verve, release in the late 60s. I have a vinyl copy (and the CD). But it has one weak track. FGWGP is pure perfection, and was mesmeric for me when I was 14-16 in the early 70s.

Yes, a cracking band. All the best. :thumbsup:

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
I vote loveless mbv and out tomorrow over here middle kids new lp cos i love them get to see them in Brisbane 19/5 just for the guy that said old guys no nothing.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Cheers! I saw them for the first time at Brighton Poly in around 73. I was 15, and had to go on my own because nobody I knew liked them. I saw them a few more times, at Reading festival in 75ish, Victoria London in 76, but not again till Wycombe in around 96. I saw them again at Diss, in London when the live album was recorded, and at the Canterbury festival (usually very dull) around 2006. That was the last time I saw them with Dougie Boyle on guitar and, sadly Richard Sinclair on drums (he died, sadly, a few years ago). I saw them again playing King's school in Canterbury about 5 years ago, but didn't like the new drummer. They are playing at Mount Ephraim this summer (3 day festval - with Arthur Brown and other cracking dinosaurs).

Living in Faversham for nearly 30 years meant I got to drink in Richard's pub in town, and I still see Morris, the roady, in town, fit as a fiddle and must be in his late 70s. Geoff plays with various folk whenever there is live music in town, as does Jim Leverton (the bassist of 20 years - former mate of Stevie Marriott, whose ex and kids live locally). Jum and Geoff played outside my local, aptly called 'The Albion' 18 months ago, during the raft race festival on the creek.

Caravan were let down by naivety (crap management) and, some might say, Pye Hastings' weak voice. But they made some brilliant albums. My actul favourite is probably the first album, on MGM Verve, release in the late 60s. I have a vinyl copy (and the CD). But it has one weak track. FGWGP is pure perfection, and was mesmeric for me when I was 14-16 in the early 70s.

Yes, a cracking band. All the best. :thumbsup:

Wow - great Caravan history and nostalgia. I'd been introduced to them in my teens by my brother who had a couple of their albums - but then I went to Kent Uni in 1980 having no idea that they were a Canterbury band. Around that time they used to do more or less annual gigs at the old cinema in Canterbury. I saw them twice there - but I think the last of those was maybe around 1982. They were absolutely amazing. Whilst there, I lived in Herne Bay for a couple of years. I think the band used to record some stuff at a studio above the Ranchero café in HB and drink in the Dolphin pub (which was just a few yards from my digs) - both of those name-checked on the Back to Front album. I think my favourite albums were 'In the land of grey and pink' and 'Better by far'.

I had no idea they were still going - I'm seriously tempted to come up for Mount Ephraim. Thanks for the heads up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You'd think no other music had ever been made in the intervening 40 or so years. Reading this thread you'd think time stood still circa 1978. NSC - home of the middle aged man, plus Edna and Thunder Bolt.

If never Mind The Bollocks and it's ilk were the only choice I'd give up listening to music. Maybe just maybe the original artists from the sixties and seventies did make albums that are hard to better. Not saying there is no good music about but how much of it feels "fresh"? Maybe it's just an old man thing and you are right in your observation :shrug:

There are some bloody good albums for the most part on this thread...imo.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My Bloody Valentine, "Loveless" walks this one for me.

Here are all of the tracks at the same time

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Odt6YO86soE

Every time I listen to Loveless I think it is greatest album of all time.
I have listened to it at least once a month, often more, for over 25years. Probably over 1,000 times in total.

Absolutely magnificent.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow - great Caravan history and nostalgia. I'd been introduced to them in my teens by my brother who had a couple of their albums - but then I went to Kent Uni in 1980 having no idea that they were a Canterbury band. Around that time they used to do more or less annual gigs at the old cinema in Canterbury. I saw them twice there - but I think the last of those was maybe around 1982. They were absolutely amazing. Whilst there, I lived in Herne Bay for a couple of years. I think the band used to record some stuff at a studio above the Ranchero café in HB and drink in the Dolphin pub (which was just a few yards from my digs) - both of those name-checked on the Back to Front album. I think my favourite albums were 'In the land of grey and pink' and 'Better by far'.

I had no idea they were still going - I'm seriously tempted to come up for Mount Ephraim. Thanks for the heads up.

:)

Here you go https://www.skiddle.com/festivals/a-new-day-festival/lineup.html

2018 line up announced so far...

Ten Years After
Hawkwind
Gong
Atomic Rooster
Caravan
Jethro Tull’s Martin Barre (celebrating the 50th anniversary of Jethro Tull)
Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy
Peatbog Faeries
Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Curved Air
Hugh Cornwell
John Coghlan’s Quo
Ruts DC
The Mentulls
Tygers of Pan Tang
John Otway
Kanda Bongo Man
Ken Pustelnik’s Groundhogs
Rodney Branigan & The Clever Kid Cartel
Son of Man
Syd Arthur
Bernie Tormé
Blackbeard’s Tea Party
Dr Schwamp
The Far Meadow
The Gift
Vikki Clayton Band
Gerry Colvin Band
Bemis

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
'Metallica' by Metallica more commonly known as the Black album. Officially the biggest selling album of the last 25 years.

A landmark album that opened them up to a whole new audience that may have considered them just a bit too thrashy. With great credit to Bob Rock the production was clean and crisp unlike the mess that was previous album ' And Justice For All'. The band themselves went for far simpler arrangements with shorter songs and you could actually hear the bass guitar.

If there was a negative the album cover was a little dull. From one of greatest rock albums of all time unfortunately they hit the other end of the scale with the abomination that was St Anger an album they even think was rubbish!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here