Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albiom's summer 18 transfer business

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haha, I was listening to a Spuds fan on TS, talking about the lack of players they have not purchased in this transfer window.
I just got the opinion, that the TS tean were goding him into a corner, which he wasnt going to go....:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Sadly, I heard that too, whilst gardening. Yes, they were winding him up.

I need to detox from football chatter for a few days.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully the "fans" won't slag them off after 15 mins this season.

Depends if they adopt the Gardner/Harley level of effort......

Think Gardner was the last time I yelled at one of our players (at Watford funnily enough).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_2018-08-10-08-02-19.png
Rather ironic, this advert is under Albion's transfer thread!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's been a fantastic summer of business. The thing I think most of our fans are overlooking is we are trying to improve a squad who have already shown they are good enough to avoid relegation. This allows us to slowly adapt the starting line up as and when players are up to speed and ready to play, other squads don't have that luxury. I think we are stronger than Watford and much stronger than when we went to Vicarage road last season.

After this summers business I'm hopeful of breaking into the top 10. But expecting not to have to endure the end of season relegation fight

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That's quite a hit rate so far . Lets see for 18/19. He's lucky he arrived and has managed to keep and develop further Stephens, Bruno, March and Dunk.

Major Signings Hughton era (loans - more than handful of games)

Hits: Kayal, Hemed, Rosenior, Bong, Maenpaa, Zamora, Uwe, Murphy, Goldson, Knockeart, Sidwell, Duffy, Murray, Pocognoli, Tomori, Gross, Ryan, Propper, Izquierdo, Scheletto, Krul,
Jury Out: Wilson, Norwood, Locadia, Suttner, Brown, Ulloa
Misses: Manu, Towell, Skalak, Akpom,

so given this - you'd expect a fair amount of Bissouma, Alirez, Bernardo to do the business. The biggest question mark over his entire transfer / recruitment at the Albion has to be this - Is Locadia another Ricky Van Wolfswinkel ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That's quite a hit rate so far . Lets see for 18/19. He's lucky he arrived and has managed to keep and develop further Stephens, Bruno, March and Dunk.

Hits: Kayal, Hemed, Rosenior, Bong, Maenpaa, Zamora, Uwe, Murphy, Goldson, Knockeart, Sidwell, Duffy, Murray, Pocognoli, Tomori, Gross, Ryan, Propper, Izquierdo, Scheletto, Krul,

so given this - you'd expect a fair amount of Bissouma, Alirez, Bernardo to do the business. The biggest question mark over his entire transfer / recruitment at the Albion has to be this - Is Locadia another Ricky Van Wolfswinkel ?

I wouldnt blame Hughton for any of the transfers in the same way I wouldnt give him full credit either. I think we are all pretty aware now how transfers work and it certainly doesnt all fall at the feet of Chris Hughton.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Still think Locadia was a rush insurance buy rather than a planned purchase. I don't see how he fits in with our current style. However....a plan b is always a good option and given he has played so little we really can't judge his ability at this level.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Think including Skalak in the misses is a bit unfair. He didn't quite hit the heights post Euro 2016, but when he came in he addressed our biggest problem (we were terrible at crossing the ball) and had big part in getting us so close to getting over the line.

The difference between Van Wolfswinkel and Locadia would be that RVW didn't really have anyone challenging for his position (Hooper and Elmander). If Locadia is a flop, and I don't think he will be, Andone, Murray and (probably) Hemed, will all jump ahead in the pecking order.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I wouldnt blame Hughton for any of the transfers in the same way I wouldnt give him full credit either. I think we are all pretty aware now how transfers work and it certainly doesnt all fall at the feet of Chris Hughton.

Yep. Its partly Blooms ££, Winstanley's scouting, Barber's negotiation, and Hughton identifying where to strengthen. Gotcha.
But in the Hughton era (ie: since Jan 2014 - then they've had quite a hit rate.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Think including Skalak in the misses is a bit unfair. He didn't quite hit the heights post Euro 2016, but when he came in he addressed our biggest problem (we were terrible at crossing the ball) and had big part in getting us so close to getting over the line.

The difference between Van Wolfswinkel and Locadia would be that RVW didn't really have anyone challenging for his position (Hooper and Elmander). If Locadia is a flop, and I don't think he will be, Andone, Murray and (probably) Hemed, will all jump ahead in the pecking order.

Yep. Skalak was both a hit and a miss probably. Right up to about the Norwich 5-0 which was his peak. But didn't push on after that. Agree re: Wolfswinkel.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not having Skalak as a miss. Top goal creator in his first season despite only being there from January. Scorer of the best ever goal at the Amex, important part of our 2 season promotion push. Tailed off badly towards the end but that doesn't undo all the good work. Certainly better and more effective for us than Wilson.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not having Skalak as a miss. Top goal creator in his first season despite only being there from January. Scorer of the best ever goal at the Amex, important part of our 2 season promotion push. Tailed off badly towards the end but that doesn't undo all the good work. Certainly better and more effective for us than Wilson.

Yep. Skalak nudges into hit, certainly for the first 12 months. Faded though.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Yep. Skalak nudges into hit, certainly for the first 12 months. Faded though.

I would also say its unfair to judge Izzy Brown at all. Looked good when he played, but suffered with injury. Also I think Ulloa brought something to the team and was unlucky. His close control was far better than I remember - and at the very least he pushed murray into doing better.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Well I am excited and cannot wait until tomorrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't actually know the value of any of these players yet.
And who of our rivals have been doing "cheque book scouting".
It's awfully arrogant to assume we're doing something greatly different and superior to everyone else.
I agree it's over-the-top to suggest the others are just writing cheques without doing any scouting etc, but we do seem to be doing things a little different to the majority, and it worked last season with the likes of Gross. Again we've opted for players most of us wouldn't know too much about, as opposed to buying those with PL experience. We don't know it'll work, we just have to hope.

How can anyone say it's an excellent window when apart from the gk none of our signings have kicked a ball in English football. Could easily all flop .
We can only go on what we know so far, and most seem to think it was a good window. The club got their work done early and seem happy with the latest squad, so why wouldn't we think it's been good? It certainly beats reading explanations from the club about why things went wrong and we couldn't get deals over the line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:clap: congratulations on being in the minority who can actually use that phrase correctly.

“The proof is in the pudding” :angry:
It's a bit long winded though, and the latter option is just a shortened version, which has been around longer than any of us.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Out of the new "new" signings I would expect Locadia to be used the most at first. Called him a new signing because of his limited use last season (for various reasons). I expect the rest to be eased into the team over the next two or three months, with possibly Bissouma the first to break through after a month. I am expecting big things from him and have high hopes he will be our best signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here